• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Subtitle Will Not Be Televised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Crowdfunding. It's an interesting practice.

Frankly, if you REALLY want to put it to good use (I use the term "good use" roughly, we're talking about anime for shit's sake), you could promote or influence the making of a new anime. Think about it. Have an anime idea? Go online, get a bunch of folks to give you money to help fund/produce your own show. In theory, it could work.

Or, imagine the donations from people wanting to see an anime version of Harry Potter. You've seen the concept designs somewhere online (I don't feel like putting them up). You want an anime? Crowdfund enough money to plea Miss Rowling into giving her series off to Clamp or whatever.

But remember, IN THEORY. In another theory, communism works.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
So it's the IP holders fault for not giving the consumer what they want. If they don't want people to go illegal, offer products in a manner that encourages the consumer, not make them rebel.

I want to buy a 70" TV at Best Buy at 2 am for $200. What? They want more money than that and aren't open when I want to shop? (Picks up brick, smashes window, and takes TV) Welp, I guess this is their fault! If only they had offered me that TV at a price and time that "encouraged the consumer," I wouldn't have been forced to take it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
So it's the IP holders fault for not giving the consumer what they want. If they don't want people to go illegal, offer products in a manner that encourages the consumer, not make them rebel.

I want to buy a 70" TV at Best Buy at 2 am for $200. What? They want more money than that and aren't open when I want to shop? (Picks up brick, smashes window, and takes TV) Welp, I guess this is their fault! If only they had offered me that TV at a price and time that "encouraged the consumer," I wouldn't have been forced to take it.

Yeah, but then you have to find a brick the right size that'll smash through the window, not too heavy that you can't even hold it. Some of those windows are strong enough to protect from cinderblocks. So you need to adjust the correct angle that the brick is thrown accurately. Plus you've gotta carry the TV around with you, make sure your car is parked nearby and if it can hold a TV that size. And you need the HDMI cables, cause that's where they get ya!

Too much hassle, all in all.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Comparing infringement to shoplifting, how quaint.

@prime_pm: I wonder if I'm a thief for shopping at Monoprice...
Kyon27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Yeah, but then you have to find a brick the right size that'll smash through the window, not too heavy that you can't even hold it. Some of those windows are strong enough to protect from cinderblocks. So you need to adjust the correct angle that the brick is thrown accurately. Plus you've gotta carry the TV around with you, make sure your car is parked nearby and if it can hold a TV that size. And you need the HDMI cables, cause that's where they get ya!

Too much hassle, all in all.

Ah, good point. That does sound like a pain in the ass. Can we download TVs yet?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
what a world.

Indeed.

What a world someone finds a golden opportunity to build a market of second-hand games while those who made them kept their heads up their ass instead of opening it themselves.

What a world the technology industry creates a new portable music format while the recording industry kept its head up its ass instead of investing in the future of music.

What a world companies stream movies while the movie industry kept its head up its ass instead of making services like this themselves.

Now, we get to sit back and watch these shitheads cry all the time about how they're losing money when those who innovated showed them it can be made.

Your position is ignorant, and now that you claim people should be ashamed of themselves because they're buying used, is insulting.

I don't know what it is with you "old school" anime fans, but you're wasting our time. We tired of your excuses, your lack of credible proof these industries are hurting (especially when you seem to ignore statements by these companies themselves to the contrary), and we're all tired of you blaming us for not being able to spend our money how we'd like to.

Stick to telling people they'll never break in to the anime industry because in this subject, you bring nothing useful to it but more whining.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
configspace wrote:
The whole argument against buying used in the reply is utterly ridiculous. So what if Gamestop or whoever made $1 or $1 zillion? The whole principle is that you are paying for ownership of your copy. That is, in the used market you are transferring your possession. The previous owners don't get to play the game (or manga, or whatever) anymore. The rights holders didn't gain any additional user of that property, so why should they complain? Just because the buyers made a profit? Rolling Eyes Entire businesses (bonds, investments, used cars, everything on ebay, etc) follow precisely this model

There's nothing wrong with selling used games, but Gamestop is very aggressive and they've crossed the line if you ask me. They're encouraging people to play and finish games as soon as possible, so they can trade them in for a decent amount of store credit. Of course, you can turn in games you bought used, too, and you'll get the same as you'd get for a copy you bought new. It's more like renting than buying and Gamestop is making a very nice profit because of it. In short: they've found a way to cheat the system and now they've ruined it for the rest of us.

It's true. To me there is a limit when it comes to the way retailers approach the used market. The fact is, Gamestop does make huge amounts of money, and game companies don't see a penny of it. It's really a combination of the consumer not taking a minute to consider what they're doing, and Gamestop encouraging them to not consider it. The consumer isn't exactly being "better served" by Gamestop when they sell used copies of a game that just came out for $55 instead of $60. If someone is going to proclaim the virtues of buying used, at least don't be suckered by the slightly lower price. Make them earn the ability to turn a profit without supporting the people who actually made the product. And if I made something, I'd definitly be upset if the stores stocking it put a used copy, with a slightly lower price, right next to the new ones. A store that actually encourages buying new keeps the used stuff in its own section, they don't stock it right next to the new stuff.

I'm not saying that buying a used copy of anything makes someone immoral, especially since they at least didn't pirate it, but please at least think about it before you make a purchase.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

Let's see:

Me: Whatcha got there?

Torrent Boy: The whole season of Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Me: Cool! I didn't know it was all out yet.

TB: Oh it's not, I downloaded it.

Me: So, you stole it?

TB: Oh no, no. You don't understand, I didn't steal anything. Maybe just a little copyright infringement.

Me: Ah, I understand now. But lemme check something real quick. Did it belong to you before?

TB: Well, no.

Me: But now you have it?

TB: Yeah!

Me: And you didn't pay for it in any way?

TB: Well, no. Torrents are free, didn't you know?

Me: So how is that not stealing again?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
[I don't know what it is with you "old school" anime fans, but you're wasting our time. We tired of your excuses, your lack of credible proof these industries are hurting (especially when you seem to ignore statements by these companies themselves to the contrary), and we're all tired of you blaming us for not being able to spend our money how we'd like to.

They aren't hurting? I think Bandai Entertainment and Media Blasters would disagree with that.

I've noticed that oftentimes the line of, "They won't let me spend my money how I want," results in not spending any because nothing is acceptable.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
@Mesonoxian Eve:

Here's an idea: let's play the whining game! You've gotten us off to a good start, whining about whining; now I'll whine about your whining! That's whinge cubed! What will the next complaint bring, I wonder?

I think it's easier to understand Brian's position when you remember that he's a professional in this sector. More than anything, he knows about the myriad of adversity facing people who create content for a living and wants to see them succeed as well as they can. It's just an opinion, take it or leave it.

@kyon27:

You seemed comfy with consumer electronics a second ago. Any particular reason you shifted those goal posts? Come on, don't you remember that super-nifty MPAA commercial? You wouldn't steal a car, or a handbag, or an old lady...all horrible property crimes, to be sure! Look, copyright infrigment isn't legal, but it's not the same as trespassing and/or thieving physical property; they're different domains, legally, ethically, the whole shebang. This horse has been beaten into meat slurry and cooked up for sloppy joes, which is now how I will reference outdated arguments.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:

Let's see:

Potential loss of sale ≠ loss of item+prevention of another sale.
I would download a car if I could.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

It is not more morally or legally "right" to purchase goods brand new than it is to purchase goods used, or to rent, or to check those same items out of a library for that matter. Saying that one type of legal acquisition is more "just" than another leads to a slippery slope argument that piracy is okay.

"One type of illegal acquisition is more just than another." ...

No, the text you yourself quoted says "one type of legal acquisition is more just than another."

Swapping "legal" for "illegal" kind of changes the meaning.

The point in the original is that the legal purchase of used goods respects the right granted to original content creators to say who can and cannot make a copy. If Game Companies do not like the fact that lots of gamers like to immerse themselves in a game and then move on to the next, so that they are quite happy to resell the copy to Gamestop at a steep discount making it possible for Gamestop to sell used at a mild discount ... well then it sucks to be them, I guess. If they can find a way to increase the difference in value to the customer of the new and used games, more power to them.

But the point of copyright is not to make life easy for big media companies, its to make it possible for those creating original works to earn their daily bread in the face of the technical ability to produce and distribute copies of their work.

-----------------------------------------

One point left entirely to one side in the question whether sites like Mangastream perform a service in countries that do not have legitimate options is the fact that the sites that are the target of action by US licensors are not being targeted because they distribute the material in countries where it is unlicensed. They are the target of action because they distribute the material in countries where it is licensed.

If a site were to implement region checking and redirect people who have legit access options to the series page of the legit distributor ... what C&D letter would they ever get from a North American anime or manga licensee? The only cause would be if they had neglected to enter a country in their legit alternative database, and once they did so, that would be ceasing and desisting to distribute in the territory that the North American licensee had the rights to.

Now, doing that would cut into advertising revenues from the bootleg audience in countries that do have legit alternative. But it would also be a lot less legal hassles, since in the countries were the material is unlicensed, the distribution is of course not legal ... but who is going to sue?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Um, there is one key difference between the TV stealing scenario you presented and torrenting that has not been mentioned: the broken window. Breaking windows is actually dangerous, someone could get physically injured. If you're going to make the argument that media piracy is equivalent to stealing a physical product, don't cheapen it by equating the former to something that poses a risk of physical injury to people. I see this added in to these comparisons frequently and it's intellectually dishonest false equivalence. If you're going to make the analogy, stick to just the stealing of the product rather than accusing torrenters of leaving broken glass where someone could be physically injured by it.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kyon27 wrote:

Let's see:

Potential loss of sale ≠ loss of item+prevention of another sale.
I would download a car if I could.

And that argument works, in a way, against my comparison to TV theft. However, when you take something that isn't yours, and it wasn't given to you by the owner, it's stealing. I can't believe I'm reduced to explaining this the way I would to a 4 year old. This is why I usually refrain from feeding the trolls in the first place.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo:

Stop trolling and agree already. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9