• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jellyfish Princes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonserviam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
I think if I can fall in love with anything Ai Yazawa I can really get into Princess Jellyfish. The title was the only thing keeping me from getting any info about the show, that and I kept getting it mixed up with Squid Girl Wink
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
nonserviam wrote:
I kept getting it mixed up with Squid Girl Wink
This is a strangely common issue, in my purely anecdotal experience. It's really too bad (not that Squid Girl is a bad series-- I haven't seen it, nor do I have the interest, but it is a rather different sort of show).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
nonserviam wrote:
This is a strangely common issue, in my purely anecdotal experience.

I can confirm this from my own experience. I'm glad I made the mistake. Smile

I have mixed feelings about the take on Jellyfish Princess. I'm glad it's being cast in a positive light, but it was weird to hear such a confident commentary by someone who I'm pretty sure was also saying that they didn't 'get' it. That's not to say that they weren't genuinely trying to handle it with fairness and respect, but unless I missed something the opinion was largely informed by proxy of one other person who saw fit to take ownership by sex. Can't it be shared?

Saying it's aimed at females is too simplistic for me(it might be but every artist should know that setting your work to the wind waives your right to decide where it lands). It's like saying only women feel that kind of awkwardness or fragility and would enjoy a show about it. There might be women centric details that may pass by most guys but that's to be expected as the characters are women. What do I *need* to know about women that would make my understanding of the show deeper...to feel the proper level of human connection? In a cast of women they are all different. I'b be willing to guess that they don't 'get' each other completely. Do we have to draw a line saying that one's sex is the dividing line that gives one true insight? Even if it centers on a subject that points towards greater depth, is understanding a requirement to enjoy it?
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
enjoying the show is less based on whether your male or female, but on whether the subject is interesting to you (which may or may not be related to your gender). And in the case of Princess Jellyfish I believe age is a much larger factor actually.
Yupa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
I agree. I remember I enjoyed watching it when it aired in Fall 2010 and yes, I'm male. It might have something to do with the fact that I have some social issues myself.
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
Do we have to draw a line saying that one's sex is the dividing line that gives one true insight?
I don't think anyone is arguing this. You're right about "setting your work to the wind" means you (creator or audience) shouldn't try to pin it only on the group of people in mind at the time of creation. A good story with interesting things to say will transcend those kinds of target audience bounds, as I feel Princess Jellyfish does, but that doesn't change the fact that the creation process means some things are built in that will appeal to some people more than others, and I think Princess Jellyfish, just by virtue of its cast being who/where they are, will speak more to a female audience than a male one, but that doesn't at all mean that the issues the girls in the story face cannot be related to by a male audience.

Cheesecracker wrote:
Even if it centers on a subject that points towards greater depth, is understanding a requirement to enjoy it?
I'm not sure what part in particular of what you talked about you are referring to here, but I think the answer actually is yes, for some people, understanding is a requirement for enjoyment. Very much so. That said, plenty of guys enjoy the show, and even Zac said that while his initial reaction wasn't falling in love with the it, after some consideration he could appreciate it.

I also have to agree with maaya, I think age (and maturity, or at least enough of it to recognize a lack of it) has more to do than gender in this story's case.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I am an older female viewer and while I enjoyed watching Princess Jellyfish the series just didn't stick with me as a whole. One of those series that I felt was nice to watch once but I would never need to see again.

With the exception of the main female character the other girls felt too much like caricatures than real characters (I've heard this is different from the manga). I also thought the final episodes were a real disappointment. I mean I know it is was an anime original ending but still.

The opening though is awesome and yeah it is always nice when a Josei title is released here (even though it might not be a favorite, I respect Funi for bringing it over).
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
nonserviam wrote:
This is a strangely common issue, in my purely anecdotal experience. It's really too bad (not that Squid Girl is a bad series-- I haven't seen it, nor do I have the interest, but it is a rather different sort of show).

Oh, good. So it wasn't just me! haha
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
poonk wrote:
nonserviam wrote:

Oh, good. So it wasn't just me! haha

It kept happening to me too. I guess 'blobs with stringy bits hanging off of them' run together in my rattletrap brain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I also thought the final episodes were a real disappointment. I mean I know it is was an anime original ending but still.
Good, I'm not the only one...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I also thought the final episodes were a real disappointment. I mean I know it is was an anime original ending but still.
Good, I'm not the only one...

I thought they where leaving it open to a season 2, and that there was more to the story but had reached a breaking point
stevek504

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, maybe I just missed the news on this. During the first few minutes it was said that "ANN closed down its video section and only have trailers and Hulu..." (not an exact quote).

What caused this to happen?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

Question to the women: What would be the live-action movie equivalent of Princess Jellyfish as seen from Zac's 2nd view of it?

I don't think any US movie would deal with this as it did not go all the way for the protag. She didn't do a complete 180 to being successful with problems solved. Plus, the protag is an adult. Stuff like this is expected for teens. If you don't have your act together as an adult, the perspective/response is usually "tough luck".

Some music videos did touch on this sort of thing...

Christina Aguilera "Beautiful"
P!nk "F**ckin Perfect" video. Note that the protag did a 180 in this video, became successful and got a near perfect American dream complete with hot guy.

Now if you're back to Japanese live action...

Kimi ni todoke did also deal with this slightly. Again, the protag was a teen.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Which previous ANNcast had the discussion about Tree of Life? I saw it recently, and thanks to that one, I at least knew roughly what to expect going, but I sure as hell didn't get it, and I'd like to try understanding what the intention was behind that movie.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
Do we have to draw a line saying that one's sex is the dividing line that gives one true insight?
I don't think anyone is arguing this.

I don't want point fingers but there was at least one post that I felt did suggest this. How exactly does anyone quantify the thoroughness of their or anyone else's understanding? Besides, it's not a test or a competition, is it? If any test applies it's probably a Rorschach.

Could not recognizing JP as a women's' show be evidence of an open and non-judgmental outlook? As opposed to a kind of ignorance?

If I recall correctly, most of the main characters did not care whether or not the 'the Fashionables' were male or female and in the one main character's case a male that appeared to be female.

Veers wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
Even if it centers on a subject that points towards greater depth, is understanding a requirement to enjoy it?
I'm not sure what part in particular of what you talked about you are referring to here...

That was just a question of my own. The conversation has tilted mostly towards how this is a story told in subtler tones for women(or exists within the male blindspot.). I was wondering if people could step past that entirely and still like it somehow for the colorful cast, the comedic situations, the site gags, the drama, art work. toryline. Other compartments than generally discussed.

Veers wrote:
I also have to agree with maaya, I think age (and maturity, or at least enough of it to recognize a lack of it) has more to do than gender in this story's case.

Age and maturity are somehow linked? Please, no! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6