• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jellyfish Princes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I really appreciate the journalistic integrity of the news stories, and I never realized how much work went into a part of the site I often take for granted. Kudos to the news team!

Yes, big props to the news team ~ we often don't recognize how good we have it that the traditional standards of reporting news in the news section and leaving the opinion for the opinion section still apply.

Quote:
I also didn't realize ANN had to scrap its video-on-demand initiative. I liked your in-house player (it worked way better on older computers than Hulu) and the selection. I'm sorry it didn't work out. Sad
I know I saw things on ANN that I made a mental note to watch, but since so much of my streaming video in the past year ~ live action as well as anime ~ has been on the Roku, I didn't get around to many of them before they were expired.

So I blame Dr. Who and Korean historical soap operas. Its them whats done it.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
1) Who discovered/chose Bucharest by the New Division? As a fan of 80's new wave/synthpop (New Order, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, etc.) I love the band; a happy discovery I've since added to my music library. Any further recommendations for newer bands in the same vein? I'm always on the watch for new bands as I find it surprisingly difficult, even in the age of the internet, to find good, new bands or new music outside the mainstream/Top 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxCwFHqWGg (Look at the description Very Happy) Seriously, the guys in that band are good friends and I'm editing their next video in my spare (hahaha) time.

As for other similar music I'm into right now, I just discovered and am currently obsessed with Vanbot, and also digging Gui Boratto, The Weeknd, The Bloody Beetroots, Junica, Neon Indian and Elite Gymnastics.

Good friends? That's nice to hear--not a one-and-done band, which would be depressing for someone I like listening to.

Thank you for the recommendations! I have some stuff from Neon Indian, but the others I can't say I've heard of before (a good thing). The internet has a so-so reputation (at best) when it comes to making accurate or quality recommendations for music (especially for anything that isn't mainstream).

Is there any service or site you recommend for leads on music?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Good friends? That's nice to hear--not a one-and-done band, which would be depressing for someone I like listening to.

I meant with ME. :p (But yes, they are fairly tight for the most part.)

Quote:

I sift through a lot of chaff. But my early leads tend to include Seattle Public Radio's KEXP Song of the Day podcast, following the rabbit hole of iTunes "people also bought" links, similar-taste friends, and frequent use of Shazam in public. Nothing too easy I'm afraid.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

I meant with ME. :p (But yes, they are fairly tight for the most part.)

Oh! Cool. I completely misread that the first time (obviously).

jsevakis wrote:
Quote:

I sift through a lot of chaff. But my early leads tend to include Seattle Public Radio's KEXP Song of the Day podcast, following the rabbit hole of iTunes "people also bought" links, similar-taste friends, and frequent use of Shazam in public. Nothing too easy I'm afraid.

Chaff? Tell me about it. How can there be so much... nothing?!

Thanks! And sorry for jacking this forum thread.
waterlillies2877

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
interesting commentary on princess jellyfish. I especially like the little bit about Shibuya. There are two different responses to inadequacies in women. One is to hide yourself and the other is controlling everyone around you. If you really think about it pretty much 100% of females fall into one of these two traps. Tsukimi is a classic example of a girl who hides. Her fleeing Shibuya is as literal an example of that as you can get.

Kuranosuke (the cross dresser) is an example of what society tells us femininity should be. We all measure ourselves to that idea that Kuranosuke achieves. It's highly ironic though because he is NOT female. He doesn't even want to be female, it's just a passing hobby for him. surface level he is feminine, as society defines it. and Tsukimi inwardly is 100% feminine and on the surface fails spectacularly according to society.

Tsukimi is extremely relatable for girls. You criticize the show for a lack of character development but honestly that is one of the reasons this show is so fantastic. If by character development you mean having a makeover and getting over her insecurities that would make it a total colossal waste of time and typical. The difference here is that this show is about life. its a slice of life. If you lived in a girls head you would recognize that it really is an exaggerated version of life that every girl experiences.

And in response to someone else's question about a live action princess jellyfish equivalent, the only movie that compares to this is Alphonso Cauron's "The Little Princess." It deals with a lot of similar themes and ideas but for much younger girls and with a much stronger female protagonist. The manga is ongoing and I wouldn't be surprised if the stories end up with similar endings or conclusions.
to help refresh your memory.
http://youtu.be/r_44NI1AOvs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6