• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gunbusted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
brettlv5506 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:
I bought the Gunbuster bluray set for $60 brand new at best buy. i think it is worth it. I also thought that Gunbuster looked amazing on blu ray, way better than what i had remembered. I say if you like the movies an you have a job then go get it. $60 aint that much money guys.

Apparently you live at home with mommy and have no expenses. The movies are the same exact thing as the series except condensed, which is goddamned pointless.

no i have a law degree and my own house. not everyone is as pathetic as you.

I have a hard time believing that a man who doesn't capitalize the first letters of his sentences is capable of getting a degree in a profession that requires writing large numbers of properly cited (and punctuated) papers.
brettlv5506

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:
I bought the Gunbuster bluray set for $60 brand new at best buy. i think it is worth it. I also thought that Gunbuster looked amazing on blu ray, way better than what i had remembered. I say if you like the movies an you have a job then go get it. $60 aint that much money guys.

Apparently you live at home with mommy and have no expenses. The movies are the same exact thing as the series except condensed, which is goddamned pointless.

no i have a law degree and my own house. not everyone is as pathetic as you.

I have a hard time believing that a man who doesn't capitalize the first letters of his sentences is capable of getting a degree in a profession that requires writing large numbers of properly cited (and punctuated) papers.

this isn't a corporate memo, it is the internet. graduated from LSU then got my masters from Tulane. my original point anyway is that 60 bucks isn't very much for 2 blu ray movies it is par for the course. so like i said before if you enjoyed the original movies/series then the blu ray is worth it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Kanon: I see you've put a review for vol. 6, Bamboo (Is that REALLY your name or just an alias?).

-__- Haven't we been through this? It's really my name.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

After Funimation rescued Karin, I began purchase the volumes again. Rarely ever will I ever actually buy dvds, but Karin had shown promise even in volume 1. The English dub, among other reasons why I have enjoyed this series so much. The voices match the characters perfectly.

I usually see bad reviews for the dub, but I liked it too, especially Karin's voice--there's a certain awkwardness to the performance that really fits the character; I think it's even cuter than the original Japanese voice. While, for the most part, the whole Vampire-subculture thing ruined vampires for me, I really like cute anime vampires.

GUNBUSTER is one of my favorite shows; it takes all the best giant-robot awesomeness and melodrama and cranks it up way past 11. GUNBUSTER 2 is fun, but lacks the original's overwhelming awesomeness, but I love the freaky mecha designs and the OP and ED songs are great. LE CHEVALIER is a show I've always been curious about, and the review makes me even more eager to see it.

Very impressive collection of SEED merchandise on this weeks shelf.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Nice death the kid wig!! everything on that shelf looks so clean and neat.
Whenever anyone posts manga I just want to sit and lounge in their room reading
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Re: d'Eon - this is arguably one of the best series to be released in the last few years.

Wow, I guess that I really am generally alone in my absolute dislike of this series. I thought it had a lot of potential, and I really wanted to like it, but I thought the story got too muddy and the characterization decided to take a turn at "whaaaat?" I understand why some characters changed, but I thought the way they did it was really poorly done and it bothered me.

But probably the real reason I hate this series is that d'Eon is the main character, and I think he's annoying and useless and takes screen time away from the Trio of Awesome (Robin, Durand, and of course, Teillagory). Plus, spoiler[ he's the only one of the team that gets anything near a "good ending".]

Those zombies or whatever were super dangerous and I thought made really good bad guys. I mean, can fight, hard to kill, PLUS they're filled with mercury! I for one don't want mercury poisoning. =(
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Kanon: I see you've put a review for vol. 6, Bamboo (Is that REALLY your name or just an alias?).

-__- Haven't we been through this? It's really my name.

I don't know what makes this whole sitution more hilarious; the fact that people still don't don't know your name is actually Bamboo or the fact that Karin was reviewed and not Kannon.

Although both titles names sound somewhat fimilar, I can attest the shows are completely diffrent. Though I do wonder, despite the fact you have two columns, spoke on Anime News Network video and is a staff member here, people still don't belive Bamboo is your real name.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
$100 for a vintage anime consisting of two 6-episode series that STILL don't have dub tracks is a bit ridiculous. I can understand a lengthier show being sold for ~$60, but I don't know how many returns Bandai will see on Bustgunner.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
$100 for a vintage anime consisting of two 6-episode series that STILL don't have dub tracks is a bit ridiculous. I can understand a lengthier show being sold for ~$60, but I don't know how many returns Bandai will see on Bustgunner.

Actually, these are even worse than that. They're condensed movie versions, so you effectively lose half of the material, and instead gain what, 5 minutes of extra footage in Diebuster. Is that worth $60? No.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that Blu-ray versions of TV shows -- even the more well-known ones -- will take off until prices take a MASSIVE drop.

Didn't they put one or two TV shows on HD DVD (for the two seconds that format lasted) and charge $100? THAT is ridiculous, as is this.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I doubt that Blu-ray versions of TV shows -- even the more well-known ones -- will take off until prices take a MASSIVE drop.

Didn't they put one or two TV shows on HD DVD (for the two seconds that format lasted) and charge $100? THAT is ridiculous, as is this.

I think it's just Bandai that prices their titles to match the Japanese counterparts. Even their DVD releases are unnaturally expensive, relative to the rest of the R1 anime market.

Bandai Visual releases really good titles. A lot of them are classics that many collectors would love to own--especially in a nice format, but American collectors also aren't the type to drop $70-100 on an anime disc, no matter how nice it looks. They're pushing away their own market, and it doesn't look like they're going to stop anytime soon.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I think it's just Bandai that prices their titles to match the Japanese counterparts. Even their DVD releases are unnaturally expensive, relative to the rest of the R1 anime market.

Bandai Visual releases really good titles. A lot of them are classics that many collectors would love to own--especially in a nice format, but American collectors also aren't the type to drop $70-100 on an anime disc, no matter how nice it looks. They're pushing away their own market, and it doesn't look like they're going to stop anytime soon.

Oh, I'm familiar with Japan's practices with disc-based media; they charge ridiculous prices for DVDs that have two episodes and a few lousy extras each (and if I'm not mistaken they often don't have the luxury of boxed sets as we do). This is a country steeped in tradition, and if I remember correctly they took quite a while to go from VHS to DVD. With a format that's still in its relative infancy, I don't think Blu-ray SERIES will take off that quickly because of price issues, and in this case, well...

It boils down to this: they're charging exorbitant fees for a plastic disc that actually cost very little to make. I mean it does boil down to that, but in this case, 100 bucks for said plastic discs? And as another poster said, these are the CONDENSED versions of the shows? No. Thank. You.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:

^ someone needs to get a better job lol Wink this movie is badass and well worth $60 for the bluray. hell, i payed almost $100 for the le dvd w/ figure and im gonna buy this one up as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:

^ someone needs to get a better job lol Wink this movie is badass and well worth $60 for the bluray. hell, i payed almost $100 for the le dvd w/ figure and im gonna buy this one up as well.

I think it's called being more smart with money and not frivolously wasting it when the product is not actually worth the suggested price. Simply put, the BD and DVD versions = too expensive to bother with.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:

I think it's called being more smart with money and not frivolously wasting it when the product is not actually worth the suggested price. Simply put, the BD and DVD versions = too expensive to bother with.

Not that I disagree with the price being too expensive, but are we all talking about the same products? The original Gunbuster/Diebuster were two six-episode OVAs, but the ones I have are the movie-versions. Just to clarify.

[Edit - I totally flopped those around in my head. Edited. =b]

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4