• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Do you give English dubs a chance?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh, just to clear it up I'm not knocking your choice, because that's YOUR preference, I just take offense at the sub purists who have an irrational hatred for ALL dubs based on the standards of 15 years ago. Of course, I avoid some shows altogether due to horrendous dubs (some of the mainstream toy-hawking stuff, for example), but I've found that the voice work on most dubs is good to excellent.

I know not everyone feels that way, I just don't get people who want to shove their opinion that dubs are superior down others' throats. Not saying you're one of those types, but I did know people like that a while ago and it pissed me off.

That states my position on dubs exactly, the only time I watch subs is in order to compare voice acting.

I find it quite funny that American Anime fans worship the Japanese language, I've never heard a Spanish speaking person say they LOVED watching Iron Man in English with Spanish subtitles.

Actually, I WOULD watch a show, anime or live-action, dubbed in a Romance language just to hear the silliness of, well, European lingo dubbed ov --

Imagine The Dark Knight. Now picture the Joker talking in overdramatic Spanish or French. COMEDY GOLD right there.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
I ONLY watch anime english dubbed, I will be like this forever.

I will never ever watch subbed anime or RAWs for the following 5 reasons:

1.) I don't understand the Japanese language at all, nor will I ever try to attempt to learn it.

2.) I hate reading subtitles, they're annoying and are in the way. Plus they always distract me, causing me to have to rewind all of the time.

3.) I prefer to listen to shows in my language, which is English.

4.) I am very patient, therefore I can deal with waiting for anime to be slowly dubbed and released in the U.S.

5.) Anime is just a mere hobby to me, so if it were to stop being dubbed, I could easily move on with my life and replace it with a different hobby.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I must know something about another show...

I avoided DBZ for years because it was two fifths cheese and three fifths crappy dubbing. Did the FUNi redub make it watchable in English? I mean, since it wasn't sanitized and edited for airing on CN in their version.

Well....the translation got a bit better (though there were still mistakes), and the voice actors had more experience by that point, so the redubbed episodes are an improvement. However, the full redubbing is only present through season 2. Once you get to the third season, only select characters are redubbed (such as Vegeta), so you've got the weird disconnect going on with inexperienced voices that were dubbed back in 1999 talking to characters speaking the same lines redubbed in 2007. So I would say the first two seasons benefited from the redub, but season 3 and on are still pretty much the same, with the exception of a few voices.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
That's OK. I always had a softer spot in my heart for Dragonball than DBZ, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11