• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Hunt Season 1 Part 2 DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It also conveniently overlooks the fact that a Catholic priest would be unlikely to ever be so cooperative and accommodating with Buddhist and Shinto religious figures and grossly simplifies the exorcism rituals of each religion.

See, I found it much cooler to just think of SPR as the supernatural world's Rainbow Six.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with the review overall. Engaging, well-paced stories, and much more intense than the first half of the series (Bloodstained Labyrinth was my favorite of the whole series). Couple that with a good dub and sympathetic lead, and the show's hard not to enjoy. Woe for lack of character-building at times, but the dub made up for that. Also, Cherami Leigh seems to have a thing for playing schoolgirls named Mai, as I noticed she voiced the girl in episodes 3 and 4 of Darker than BLACK.

The show didn't have much of a conclusion, but its semi-epiodic formula negates the need for that. I also was just glad to get an explanation for how Mai balances her work and school.

Oh, and by the way:

Key wrote:
Extras are the same as last volume except for the lack of an audio commentary.

What audio commentary was this referring to? Neither part contained any audio commentary that I saw, and none of the extras lists on the packaging mention it.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The one noteworthy incident is a scene where a character suddenly spoke in English in the Japanese dub, which loses some of its impact in the English dub, but that could not be avoided in translating the series.

Gotta admit that the first time I saw that scene I jumped out of my chair. It has to be the most natural sounding English I have heard in any Japanse dub.

Big Hed wrote:
See, I found it much cooler to just think of SPR as the supernatural world's Rainbow Six.

In "The Mummy" there's this scene where they have some guy (I haven't seen it in ages) running away fingering through religious necklaces trying to find some God that will help him. Always pops into my head when I think about this series.

I guess I just see them less as experts than idiots trying to throw any solution they can think fo at their problem.

But SPR as Rainbow Six is too awesome Anime hyper
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
I guess I just see them less as experts than idiots trying to throw any solution they can think of at their problem.

Haha! Good point, I get that too Razz
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that you found "The Bloodstained Labyrinth" to be quite bloodcurdling, Key. Wink Now if only FUNimation had released Part 2 in October. First time viewers could have had one helluva Halloween.

Quote:
(that is explained in the original novels, but nowhere in the animation)

You've read the novels? There must be a fan translation available somewhere on the net then.

Even so, hopefully the novels will be brought over to North America in the future (preferably by TOKYOPOP). We've got both the manga and the anime now, so why not the original source material?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
You've read the novels? There must be a fan translation available somewhere on the net then.

Don't know about that. I got my spoiler info from the series' Wikipedia page. (It explains that the Naru that Mai sees in her dreams is actually spoiler[Naru's deceased twin brother] or something like that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Don't know about that. I got my spoiler info from the series' Wikipedia page.

Ah, I should have known. You do tend you get such information from Wikipedia, after all. Case in point: Claymore.

Anyway, after some quick Googling, I did find some fan translations. I'll hold out for a possible North American license though.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I think it was a fair review. I'm suprised Ghost Hunt is getting this much coverage, it was in Shelf Life, and now two reviews Very Happy
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
^^ Ghost Hunt is a well-done series that deserved more attention than it got during its Japanese run, IMO. I attribute the lack of coverage then to 2 factors. First, the series gets off to a slow start with that "let's meet the characters" opening arc. Second, the series aired the same season as Death Note which got the lion's share of the buzz that season.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I for one really didn't take a look at this show until the DVDs started coming out, probably because during the season it aired I was probably watching stuff like Death Note and Nana.

It's a good show. The "arc" style of series is something I'm a pretty big fan of, so I can easily pick up a series again and watch an arc without having to remember too much about the story. It goes by pretty fast though, for being a 25 episode series. That's a good sign that it's good Very Happy

One thing I think was way overhyped was the "horror" factor though (especially in Funi's ads...scariest anime ever? hahahaha). I mean, I have yet to see an anime that is genuinely scary with the exception of some of the psychological mind-freaks likes stuff that Satoshi Kon has come up with. A lot of parts were stylistically creepy, and shocking, and it certainly deserves its genre title. However, I found myself thinking of stuff like the Shion arc of Higurashi S1 in terms of fear factor. GH doesn't try to go that psycho horror route though, and relies more on its characters and plot. Mai got some dislike as being boring, but I liked her as a character, and liked a lot of the supporting characters as well. Naru, not so much haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1