• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rose Guns Days Game by Higurashi's Ryukishi07 Outlined

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I actually see nothing wrong with the "native people get sidelined in their own country" plotline on a moral level -- after all that's our very basis for not only condemning Imperial Japan for its actions in Korea, Southeast Asia, and China, but also Nazi Germany's actions in Eastern Europe, and even the US's actions against the Native Americans.

You see no problem with the plotline being "Them damn dirty foriegners are taking over our glorious Japan!"

I just don't want this to be the Japanese version of the Turner Diaries. Which it probably won't be, but still. I'm getting sick of Japan acting like they were some innocent saints who were attacked in WWII for no reason. Didn't Ishihara deny that the Rape of Nanking ever happened?

What does Ishihara have to do with this game? We know practically nothing about it beyond a basic summery, so you have no idea how it will portray Japan's actions in World War II.

It could be exactly what you think it is, but it might not be.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I actually see nothing wrong with the "native people get sidelined in their own country" plotline on a moral level -- after all that's our very basis for not only condemning Imperial Japan for its actions in Korea, Southeast Asia, and China, but also Nazi Germany's actions in Eastern Europe, and even the US's actions against the Native Americans.

You see no problem with the plot-line being "Them damn dirty foreigners are taking over our glorious Japan!"

I just don't want this to be the Japanese version of the Turner Diaries. Which it probably won't be, but still. I'm getting sick of Japan acting like they were some innocent saints who were attacked in WWII for no reason. Didn't Ishihara deny that the Rape of Nanking ever happened?

Okay you win the face palm of the day award. Listen i personally don't mind this setting myself and I don't see a problem getting into the mind set of person around that time being a citizen or a solider. Understanding people's state of mind/well being is something that intrigues me and what R7 has done very well in the past with his writings. I can see this airing on the side of romance where a citizen falls in love with a foreigner despite what happens and trying to adapt to that. I know that will probably be wrong in the end but still.. it fit's his mold of story telling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I am well aware that things like that occur, I just think it may be a bit early to decree this game as nothing but xenophobic filth when we don't yet know how it's going to portray things. I can understand being very hesitant about it, but I'm willing to give Ryukishi07 the benefit of doubt at least until I see more details.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

So Americans don't do the same thing, we gotta kill of them damn Japanese, commies, Arabs etc. It's text books they don't mean shit bro in this day/age. Anyone with half of a brain can go online or ask people for actually records instead of texts that distort or re-write history. Hell do you think our history books are going to have a actually facts of torture from POW during this war or the amount of civil liberates that where broken for the sake of freedom??? Give me a damn break already...

On subject I am look forward to this despite what my other forum mates are saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay, maybe you're right. Maybe this isn't going to be Xenophobic or anything. I'm just very cautious about this.

I have faith in Ryukushi to write a damn good story. Higurashi taught me that much.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Okay, maybe you're right. Maybe this isn't going to be Xenophobic or anything. I'm just very cautious about this.

I have faith in Ryukushi to write a damn good story. Higurashi taught me that much.

aye, aye my apologies ...
Oronae

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with a series portraying Japan occupied by foreign invaders post-WW2. My problem is that the second empire on their territory is China not Russia. There is no way in hell China could have possibly been in a position post-WW2 to occupy much of anything. They were a bit busy with civil war at the time.
Ookamikakushi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Check out some of the translated material. It isn't really what I'd call nationalistic.

Last edited by Ookamikakushi on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vantos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
I don't have a problem with a series portraying Japan occupied by foreign invaders post-WW2. My problem is that the second empire on their territory is China not Russia. There is no way in hell China could have possibly been in a position post-WW2 to occupy much of anything. They were a bit busy with civil war at the time.

You're right; I did find a Chinese-occupied Japan post-WWII to be nonsense.

Maybe one of two things will happen:

1) Chiang Kai-shek crushes the Chinese Communist Party early on.
2) The Chinese Communist Party crushes Chiang early on.

But yes, the Soviet Union makes way more sense as the second occupier -- that's how North Korea came to be, after all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Didn't Ishihara deny that the Rape of Nanking ever happened?

Hahaha........ Ishihara has a couple of friends. Laughing
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
shukero wrote:
Wait, I'm a bt confused; is this a normal game or an eroge? I have a hard time remembering little if any directors names Sad

It will be an all ages visual novel despite the amount of violence lol. R7 has never written or done any adult series that I am aware of.

Alright thanks! Just don't have that much knowledge of which authors do which things Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

This is totally necro-ing...but you can tell from Higurashi that Ryukishi07 has a very progressive, peaceful, and democratic worldview. When we learn about spoiler[Tokyo] in Episodes 7 and 8 of the visual novels, there's tons of examples of this. He even complains about how more young people need to vote in order to hold back the "ghosts of the war," aka old people who hold onto imperialistic fantasies. And the (Huge Spoiler)spoiler[final villain of the whole thing is a nationalistic right-wing conspiracy, embezzling national funds to create chemical weapons!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2