• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Voice Actress Maddie Blaustein Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Superman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
She helped provide fond memories for children all over the continental US. I’m certain she was an amazing person at heart. I will always remember her for her character on Pokémon, because she helped to make my childhood a little less stressful. I extend my deepest condolences to her family. Rest in peace, Maddie.
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
Thats sad-r.i.p Maddie Blaustein

Back then in the 90s when pokemon was super cool in the anime *i dont think it is now* she was the best at acting as myouth.She made him seem more cruel at talking,just how a real villan would talk-same with jessie and james (they all talked super evil).But now in the newer days of diamond and pearl they sound more like they are like kids wineing and not villans.

Anyways in memmory of the great Maddie Blaustein...r.i.p.*so many cool voice actors dieing this year,whats up with that?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I didn't know she did the voice of 'Meowth'. Damn, I really liked the voice work on that character. Sorry that I hadn't heard other roles that she's done.

R.I.P.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Wait. Is this person a girl or a guy?

The person that started the thread about Blaustein's passing on the AoD forum mentioned that Blaustein was a transgender.

EDIT: Yuki_Kun beat me to it Anime smile + sweatdrop .

I'm a little bit shocked about her gender,but Maddie as a her repertaur as voice actor remained the best in the 90s and today, she was one of the best today in cartoons. God Bless her indeed!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
This is tragic news.

R.I.P Maddie.

My condolences to her family.

I remember waking up at 6:30 every morning to watch Pokemon. It was an integral part of my childhood.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
This is sad news. And 48 isn't all that old. Alas! Sad
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
It's odd, but this morning/afternoon I had the team rocket motto stuck in my head while cooking lunch, and then I turned on my laptop to find this news.

Tis sad, and a very young age too. Team Rocket were always the best characters in the series Smile
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
WHAT???
HOW???

...O-Oh my god...

Maddie... what happened? Oh my god...
...I always loved seeing her post on Serebii but I never knew she was sick in some way... I can't believe this...

Please rest in peace Maddie... Rest in Peace...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Since it hasn't been posted here, nor mentioned in the article, I'm going to see if I can find out how she died. I mean 48 is not old at all nor do I remember seeing her in the news for any battles with a disease like cancer. So it seems a bit of a shock for someone who was supposedly healthy to just pass away like that. My condolences to her family and friends at home and abroad. I never liked Pokemon myself at all to be honest but I know for countless children that was a huge part of their childhood enjoyment so I am sad to see one of the pinnacle people behind the voices of the show pass on. She may have just been a voice actor primarily but she helped in a way to bring happiness to countless children's lives through her job. That's something to be proud of.
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Since it hasn't been posted here, nor mentioned in the article, I'm going to see if I can find out how she died.

Someone on the Serebii forum mentioned that she was battling a stomach virus since Thanksgiving, so it could've been food poisoning or something similar. But I would take that with a grain of salt.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Since it hasn't been posted here, nor mentioned in the article, I'm going to see if I can find out how she died.

Someone on the Serebii forum mentioned that she was battling a stomach virus since Thanksgiving, so it could've been food poisoning or something similar. But I would take that with a grain of salt.

Hard to think that a simple stomach virus could do that. If that is true there would to be some underlining problem or really big complication. Food poisoning perhaps if it's an EXTREME case. Still sounds like there's something else going on.
PokemonTrainerLisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, I was very suspicious when I first heard this news about Maddie Blaustein. But as soon as my friend received confirmation from Eric Stuart, I knew the news was true....

As a leader of the fan-campaign known as SOVA (Save Our Voice Actors), I was both shocked and deeply saddened by this news about Maddie passing away. Along with many other fans, I have grown up watching the Pokemon dub on TV. And it goes without saying that I was both, a huge fan of the 4Kids dub and the work of the original voice actors.

I loved Maddie's voice acting in general, and her wonderful portrayal of Meowth. But it seems like she left us much too soon, and she will be greatly missed by all of us. Crying or Very sad

Ever since she started posting on Pokemon forums when the VA switch happened, I grew to know Maddie well. She was a really great friend, and I was able to talk to her many times on both Bulbagarden and the SOVA forums. I'm really glad that I've had the wonderful opportunity to talk with her online, even though I never got to meet her in person or anything. However, having had the chance to know her as an online friend, I know that Maddie was a very sweet, caring, and loving person. She loved answering questions from her fans, and of course, she really appreciated the fact that everyone in SOVA was trying so hard to get her (and the other members of the original voice cast) back on Pokemon.

As for Maddie's fans, I'm sure that she wouldn't want everyone to be sad like this. Instead, I think she would want us to be happy for those truly amazing 8 years of her life that she dedicated to Pokemon, and to breating life into her character, Meowth. She really did an awesome job voicing Meowth, and we will never forget Maddie.

But, what does all of this mean for the SOVA campaign? Ever since the VA switch happened in 2006, Maddie gave us a lot of support. And she really appreciated our love for her Meowth voice, and her voice acting on Pokemon in general. Therefore, we (SOVA) have been filled with more spirit and determination for the campaign than ever before. In Maddie's honor, we'll continue working on our projects, so that we will one day bring Veronica, Rachael, and Eric back to Pokemon. While it's true that Meowth will never be the same without Maddie, we believe that the least Pokemon USA can do, is give the other members of the original cast an opportunity that they rightfully deserve - the chance to regain their original roles for season 12 of Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inu-liger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
SOVA's still around......wtf?

No offense, but you're fighting a lost cause at this point. SOVA is all but dead.

But that's off-topic really.

We shall discuss this later, Lisa.
PokemonTrainerLisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
*sighs*

Um....inu-liger, you do realize that Ted Lewis has regained his original role as Giovanni, right? Because that right there proves there's nothing preventing Veronica and the others from returning, except for the company itself.

Not that this fact really matters or makes a difference to you. But anyway, I respect your opinion. But please, just let us do our thing.

For the most part, all we're doing is giving the original cast some much needed support. And I really don't see the harm in us doing that, especially at a time like this. I mean, the original cast needs all the support and comfort they can receive from the fans, considering how close Veronica and the others were to Maddie.

Besides, starting a fight anywhere on these forums will only make things worse. I don't want that, and you probably don't want that either. So, I think it's best if we just agree to disagree. There will be no further discussion on this subject, unless you want to PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
That's sad, I always enjoyed Meowth's quirky tone of voice.

On a related note, I caught an episode of that new Diamond and Pearl this morning (OK five minutes, but still...). They ruined the show with new (and wooden-sounding) actors for Ash, Brock, and Team Rocket. It isn't the same...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5