• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Misfit Joys

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DASGUNDAM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
so true with the un squadron review from back in the day specially the last part i went searching for a copy of Star Tropics for the Nes about a year ago and the only one i could find in town was one with in faded sharpie said Drew kingston on it frunnay shit right thar
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I've always been interested in visual novels, but the closest I've gotten to playing one was Persona 3. The fact that the only translated, non-BL game for females is out of print and extremely hard to find and that ero turns me off sorta hinders my options.

When you first reviewed Princess Debut, I was like, "Hm...sounds childish." But just maybe I'll give it a try since it made your list.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I loved U.N. Squadron, I played every day until I beat it and then kept playing it for a really long time Anime hyper

I wish Capcom would get this game as downloadable content for the Wii or Xbox
jcaliff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I was actually a fan of Area 88 from the VIZ comics before playing UN Squadron in the arcades and buying it for the SNES. I was disappointed by the storyline edit to make it a "UN Squadron" instead of mercenaries, but surprisingly some of the dialog in the game was translated in a way that harkens back to its manga roots. I remember that when you fight the Wolf Pack, Saki ends his briefing by telling you something like, "They're mercenaries like us". It made my little fangirl heart happy to see that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
its funny that Battle Fantasia is available on PS3 and Xbox 360 in Japan but America has only the 360 version and before it came out they were thinking of a PS3 version for America but i haven't seen any updated news on that. maybe the 360 version in America had such terrible sales on that game and so there wont be an American PS3 version.

I believe it's out in Europe for the PS3 if any one really wants to get it (hooray region free games!).

But the word is that the game doesn't fit Sony's agenda in America (just like Dark Mist), so there isn't enough support to release it here.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
No More Heroes wasn't on the list? NO MORE HEROES WASN'T ON THE LIST???? THIS IS INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
No More Heroes wasn't on the list? NO MORE HEROES WASN'T ON THE LIST???? THIS IS INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!

Not really... Anyone here with a Wii and who has the money has played it.

The community is no longer responsible for having to inform the peons that have yet to play it. We're getting a sequel so we don't need those bastards who have yet to play the first one play it...

I do look forward to Desperate Struggle and the promised 'slightly more serious plot'. The game is already badass, but that's the only thing I see that could be useful for the game... Slight gameplay additions, a deeper plot and that's about it.
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited about Final Fantasy: Dissidia. The fighting looks incredible but the character selection leaves something to be desired. They didn't put in any hero from FFXII(Gabranth is being counted as a villian). Also it's missing some of the best characters since they limited it to only the main hero. I'd like to see Zack(VII), Tifa(VII), Seifer(VIII), and Auron(X). I haven't played the earlier ones so I can say much about those(well I've played III but there's not much character to use in those). If they had Zack, I'd love to have Zack and Cloud fight it out. The fighting system looks interesting at least. It's guaranteed to create incredible looking battles. But I'd either be too mesmerized by the fight to concentrate on actually fighting or I'd be too busy fighting to appreciate the incredible fight. Well, I'm still interested but I'm already waiting for a Dissidia 2 to come out with a larger cast choice.

Oh and thanks for mentioning Princess Debut. I just bought it for my sister for Christmas and it's reassuring to know that it's actually a good game. Didn't know it was a sim when I got it. The cute art just caught my attention. I feel confident that it was a good purchase now. Thanks.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I played Battle Fantasia at the Expo, it was pretty fun! =D

Oh Em Gee, seriously, I LOVED U.N. Squadron! I can't believe there was a manga for it!
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

Did that come out in 2008? Just barely perhaps. It's already gotten a lot of attention.

Tatsunoko vs. CAPCOM is crazy stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yay UN Squadron!!! Count me as one of those kids who rented it back in 1991 and later bought it in the late 90s or early 2000s. Sure it didn't have realistic flight physics by any means (every plane functions like a harrier/VTOL craft, and you can kill planes with air-to-ground bombs, among other issues), but it had all those cool special weapons and a freakin' aircraft carrier on tank treads in the middle of the desert!

The only problem with all those upgraded planes and special weapons is that you don't get nearly enough money to afford them all, unless you die and repeat stages numerous times. So if you buy a couple of the "early" planes, get ready to spend a lot of time "farming" cash with bombing runs on enemy supply convos. Fortunately there's an infinite amount of those, unless you're on the last level. Come to think of it, I guess these mobile extra moneymaking stages were another good innovation.

However, I managed to overcome that time-consuming obstacle by playing 8 of the game's 10 main stages with the first plane and its limited choices of special weapons, and then jump straight to the most expensive super-advanced plane that can use any weapon for the last 2. All you have to do is choose the stages (again going back to game design) in an order that gives you the most power-ups for your standard guns as soon as possible.

And speaking of the fluid stage order, it's even possible to beat the game before two of the "mobile attacker" stages reach your base, provided you don't die too many times. After seeing the Area 88 OVA, I realized just how much of the anime's dark storyline had been whitewashed for the game, but nobody cared back then; we had lightning lasers! (Which oddly enough were called "Thunder Lasers," but oh well.)
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have a personal theory about Battle Fantasia: Sony is pretty well known for having weird, arbitrary rules about what they'll allow released in North America for their consoles: "no 2D" is a famous one from the PS1 days. One of the big ones is Japanese-language dialogue. It seems that most of the time, but not every time (see Yakuza 2 for a rare exception), a game must have English voice work done for it to earn Sony's approval. Remember Chaos Wars and its awful voice work? It wasn't dubbed so badly because the company wanted it to be: they just needed to make a dub or their game wouldn't come out.

A little while back, Atlus released Arcana Heart in the US. The main difference from the Japanese version was that all the voice acting was removed from the story mode. It wasn't exactly going to be a huge mainstream anime fan favorite like Persona, where they can afford to do a nice dub with popular voice actors, but Sony wouldn't allow a game with only Japanese-language dialogue. So when the game came out, people found out that there was just no voiced dialogue at all.

Battle Fantasia has a big, multi-route story mode, and it is fully voiced. In Japanese only. This is total speculation, but I suspect that Aksys ran into the same problems-- or at least anticipated them-- and simply decided not to localize a PS3 version.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how wonderful TvC is and how badly it needs to have online play, and to be ported a system with decent online. Or a decent arcade stick.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but I disagree with everyone here about Dissidia needing to have supporting popular characters instead of the main characters. The main characters are the ones to which each Final Fantasy game was centered around so it makes perfect sense that S-E put each respective hero and villain where they are. Hell, I could argue that they should've put Edgar from VI in instead of Terra because of his amazing tool set (and who wouldn't want to see Edgar going at his opponents with a chainsaw?) but Edgar wasn't the character the game was centered around. Final Fantasy VI was the story Terra, a half-esper/half human girl who wanted to find meaning behind her identity and human emotions. Terra was the focal point of that game so anyone can understand why they put her in as the heroine character to represent VI in Dissidia.

If they do happen to make a sequel to Dissidia in the future, then S-E has to put in more of the secondary characters because we already have our main characters. I would like to see the monk and the black mage from Final Fantasy I appear with the Warrior of Light with Astos and Bikke as the villains along with Garland. Final Fantasy II? Maria and Guy with Frioniel counter to Borghen, Lionheart, and Emperor Mateus. Final Fantasy III? Arc, Refia, and Ingus (or Onion Knights 2, 3, and 4) counter to Xande, Gutsco, and Garuda. Final Fantasy IV? Kain, Rydia, and Edge counter to Zemus, Rubicante, and Scarmiliogne.

I'm sure you all get the picture. Smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
ryoga79 wrote:
I had UN Squadron on the Atari ST before I got it on the SNES and that version was two player but the graphics and sound were far worse and it didn't have some of the missions. Sadly there is no ultimate version with everything. Much like there is no english version of the full story, to have so many comics and then not finish the series still burns me up.
Grab a mame emu and play the arcade version.

U.N. Squadron a.k.a. Area88.
Another pic

I first played U.N. Squadron,about the time rollerblades first came out.I would play it at Crystal Palace skating center,while my friends actually went there to skate and be social.I couldn't get enough of the game.When I heard that it was a launch game for the SNES in 1991,you bet I was in line waiting to claim it.

Good times.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

If they do happen to make a sequel to Dissidia in the future, then S-E has to put in more of the secondary characters because we already have our main characters.
I wish they would stop releasing potential games on handheld systems (like the PSP) and then make a sorry excuse for a port (later) to the newer systems,when it should have been there in the first place.That's just me though.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree with everyone here about Dissidia needing to have supporting popular characters instead of the main characters. The main characters are the ones to which each Final Fantasy game was centered around so it makes perfect sense that S-E put each respective hero and villain where they are. Hell, I could argue that they should've put Edgar from VI in instead of Terra because of his amazing tool set (and who wouldn't want to see Edgar going at his opponents with a chainsaw?) but Edgar wasn't the character the game was centered around. Final Fantasy VI was the story Terra, a half-esper/half human girl who wanted to find meaning behind her identity and human emotions. Terra was the focal point of that game so anyone can understand why they put her in as the heroine character to represent VI in Dissidia.

If they do happen to make a sequel to Dissidia in the future, then S-E has to put in more of the secondary characters because we already have our main characters. I would like to see the monk and the black mage from Final Fantasy I appear with the Warrior of Light with Astos and Bikke as the villains along with Garland. Final Fantasy II? Maria and Guy with Frioniel counter to Borghen, Lionheart, and Emperor Mateus. Final Fantasy III? Arc, Refia, and Ingus (or Onion Knights 2, 3, and 4) counter to Xande, Gutsco, and Garuda. Final Fantasy IV? Kain, Rydia, and Edge counter to Zemus, Rubicante, and Scarmiliogne.

I'm sure you all get the picture. Smile

Oh, I agree. But one thing that has me intrigued about Dissidia is that they clearly have more in the game than what we've seen. Hence, a week before the release, we're still seeing pictures of new characters. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Vaan was added in as a secret character. It also won't surprise me if there are a few "model swaps" hidden in the game, like the ability to play as Zack using Cloud's moveset.

One of the things that impresses me about the game is how each character looks to have a completely unique play style. For example, Cecil can switch between Dark Knight and Paladin depending on the situation, both Terra and Kefka have "mystical forms" (Terrra being an esper and Kefka being a one-winged angel), and Butz/Bartz can dual wield. In the trailer, he is wielding Cloud's buster sword and another one which I couldn't identify.

But an expanded roster would be awesome, and I hope a sequel comes around just for that purpose. I would like to see:
+Ramza and Weigraf (sp?) from Final Fantasy Tactics
+Sora and Riku from Kingdom Hearts (in their Kingdom Hearts 2 forms)
+Crono and Magus from Chrono Trigger
+Serge and Lynx from Chrono Cross
As well as overlooked supporting characters like Kain and Seifer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3