• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero BD Box I's Extras Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

I'm patient. I'd rather have an affordable release than get it when Japan does. Even if they released standard editions or something, then sure I'd pick it up. I used to pay around $100+ for a boxset/season back in the day... No way am I able to even do that anymore.

I've only bought one anime for more than a hundred; The dumb thing is that I would still be willing to pay a hundred for it today. Not for the goodies as there weren't any but because it was a well written show, beautifully animated and expertedly mastered. It was a good release because it is a good release.

As I type this, the banner add showcases this set. Aniplex should save their money as they should know that everyone who will buy it, already know about it. I'm glad Sentai is releasing their own DVD of the franchise, and I never thought I'd say that. Thanks, Aniplex, for making me feel good about Sentai.

One last thing: Aniplex's regular Madoka releases made me rationalize purchasing several Sentai BD sets {The two Shaft Tales series, maybe one other}. If I wanted this set, I'd have a case for the Madoka limited sets.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
takachsh wrote:
I'm so excited, I can't wait for my order to ship! This is what makes these releases so amazing and worth the price tag imo.

I loved the Kara no Kyoukai set and this one seems like it might be even better in all respects! This is quality goods at the right price!

*facepalm

It's people like you whom are keeping the rest of us from being able to afford these franchises. I absolutely adore Kara no Kyoukai as well, but I can't afford to pay $1000 for a movie set. Please re-consider your order....sigh.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Not even worth trying to explain, Megiddo. This thread is most definitely going to erupt into a ragefest.
And now it already has.Rolling Eyes

Good lord, when will people ever get it? Well, I actually kinda look forward to all the complaining.

Also for anyone who's still denying this release won't sell, think again. It's the 9th best-selling Blu-ray on Rightstuf right now, so we might see another KnK happen (I.E. It sells out before release.). It should be noted 4 of the Blu-rays outselling it are combo packs.
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/categories/video/

Anyway at the topic at hand, I can't wait for Fate/Zero to arrive. The wait is killing me. I pre-ordered the set a few weeks ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
People keep posting in riddles. Confused

takachsh wrote:
...This is what makes these releases so amazing and worth the price tag imo...

What makes it so amazing? Please elaborate.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
...Good lord, when will people ever get it?...

Get what? Kindly explain what I don't get.

People paying these prices for anime are working against their own interests for two reasons.

Firstly, if the model succeeds, as it looks like it will, then it may become the standard model for all anime releases, as it already is in Japan. That means YOU will be buying LESS anime in future.

Secondly, it is a model that assumes a narrow fan base. This means the audience will contract further. It also makes the industry more exposed to the fickle tastes of that fan base. When fashions change, which they will, the industry may no longer have a larger enough base to support itself.

This isn't rage - it's fear. I'm with Kirkdawg. For our own sakes we should boycott these releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
People shouldn't buy what they want with their own money because others want to be cheap? I'm not really following this logic.

Personally I don't see whats wrong with this. For way too long, Americans have gotten essentially free anime, but at the cost of waiting a long time and having bad quality video and audio... this is giving America the opportunity to show that we want anime right away, with the exact same quality the Japanese get. If it succeeds, it may give the Japanese companies more motivation to care about us and make more stuff that Americans may like.

As it is now, Americans are of little concern for the Japanese since we refuse to pay normal prices and generally aren't interested in what the Japanese make. Don't throw away this opportunity they've given us to have more say in what gets made.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome,

Please indulge in this little mind experiment: Count how many anime titles you have bought in the last 12 months. How much did you spend? If the standard price for a 13 episode series was $400, how many would you have bought then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
That means YOU will be buying LESS anime in future.

You might buy less, but you'll buy shows you want to own. I'm glad anime streaming is getting better and better for the western world because it becomes like TV for us...we watch what we want, and then possibly but what we want.

RyanSaotome wrote:
this is giving America the opportunity to show that we want anime right away, with the exact same quality the Japanese get. If it succeeds, it may give the Japanese companies more motivation to care about us and make more stuff that Americans may like.

If Japan sees that American fans would gladly pay a little more for a good quality release in a reasonable amount of time, maybe prices can drop in Japan if US sales can be consistent. That's what I hope for in the future.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
...Good lord, when will people ever get it?...

Get what? Kindly explain what I don't get.

People paying these prices for anime are working against their own interests for two reasons.

Firstly, if the model succeeds, as it looks like it will, then it may become the standard model for all anime releases, as it already is in Japan. That means YOU will be buying LESS anime in future.

Secondly, it is a model that assumes a narrow fan base. This means the audience will contract further. It also makes the industry more exposed to the fickle tastes of that fan base. When fashions change, which they will, the industry may no longer have a larger enough base to support itself.

This isn't rage - it's fear. I'm with Kirkdawg. For our own sakes we should boycott these releases.
Why it must be priced so high, how we're not getting gouged, how supporting this release isn't going to destroy the industry (It's been dying for years here due to various reasons such as all the pirates who won't pay a dime for anime. It's getting harder to find people who actually BUY anime these days. I've even been laughed at for buying anime, and these were R1 releases.), how you can wait for a cheaper release (Come 2020 and KnK still isn't out in an R1 release, you can get on that then.), nobody is forcing anyone to buy this? Rolling Eyes

Also on this business model succeeding shrinking the market, you do realize this industry is already dying here right ? Anime is cheaper than ever (I can argue it's even underpriced here.), and it's not flying off shelves. It's having a harder time getting there. We've already seen Geneon, CPM, ADV Films, Bandai Entertainment, Media Blasters, and more go under or have problems, and many of these things happened before Aniplex of America came into existence, and decided to offer KnK for $400.

Also how about instead of telling everyone who wants to buy this set to boycott it, how about you try getting through to people who pirate everything and NEVER buy to watch legal streams, and buy anime instead of torrenting it? Without this model, we'd still be seeing the industry crumbling because of all the people who refuse to buy (R1 can be so corrupt.), some even finding FUNimation's S.A.V.E. line severely overpriced (I've met these people.). Anime sales have been falling every year since 2005, with a 35% drop from 2009 to 2010 alone, so clearly Aniplex's imports aren't the cause.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/america-2009-anime-market-pegged-at-us$2.741-billion
RyanSaotome wrote:
People shouldn't buy what they want with their own money because others want to be cheap? I'm not really following this logic.
The issue is this box set is $370, not $50 which is what we're used to, and nobody knows if we'll ever get a normal R1 release as KnK sold out a year ago, and there's been no news on an R1 release. Now, we still can't rule it out as it's not 2 years after it came out yet.

Quote:
Personally I don't see whats wrong with this. For way too long, Americans have gotten essentially free anime, but at the cost of waiting a long time and having bad quality video and audio... this is giving America the opportunity to show that we want anime right away, with the exact same quality the Japanese get. If it succeeds, it may give the Japanese companies more motivation to care about us and make more stuff that Americans may like.
Indeed, it can lead to this. Didn't Trigun not do so well in Japan, and they made the movie despite that, as they knew it was going to do well over here? While domestic sales need to come first, they may start making more shows oriented towards us if these imports continue to work.

Now I'm not saying what Japan is pumping out doesn't appeal to us because clearly one reason why we like this stuff in the first place is how different it can be from stuff that comes out here. Many of us are just crying for more shows like The Big O and Cowboy Bebop.
Quote:
As it is now, Americans are of little concern for the Japanese since we refuse to pay normal prices and generally aren't interested in what the Japanese make. Don't throw away this opportunity they've given us to have more say in what gets made.
This.

"Oh no, 13 episodes of Bleach for $30. They're ripping me off! Somebody explain to me why it must be priced at $30 instead of $10, or a normal box set?!!! Instead of buying this extremely overpriced to **** box set, I'll instead pirate the **** out of Bleach to show VIZ Media how idiotic they are with pricing!"

I'm frankly tired of all the complaining about prices I hear from people, and I'm not talking about NIS America and Aniplex USA, I'm talking about VIZ Media and FUNimation prices, the kind that are VERY, VERY reasonable, but can even be called underpriced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

i totally agree that people shouldn't tell others how to spend their money for such reasons but thats were my agreement ends i'm afraid

for a start i don't want anime right away, i like to sit on a series the way we currently have to for about 12-18 months before release so when it's released i'm in a better position to see if i want it, if i've viewed it again between airing and release then i'll buy it since it has replay value to me, if i haven't then i know it was a good series but one i'm only interested in seeing once and have no need to purchase. if series were released the way they are in Japan soon after airing i'm still interested no matter what and'll be tempted into buying without knowing if i'll ever even watch it

secondly, i don't want them to make more stuff we would like, mostly because i have no current qualms about the current releases that there are, sure i'd like to see more cyberpunk shows and less ecchi high school romances but that just makes it easier to decide what to buy when we do get releases for them

finally, the fact that alot of series get licensed here probably suggests to them that we are interested in what they're making, most of the current season was licensed by one company or another
it may not the popular like pokemon was back in the day but can you ever see it being like that for all series made, not just 1?

also, do you really think this was an oppurtunity for us to have a bigger say in the world of anime production? i was under the impression it was a tactic to make some money from a very popular series easily by releasing the Japanese product in America themselves at the same time at a similar cost so no reverse importing happens, thusly making some extra money quickly and easily with minimal costs since they can just make more of the product they were already planning on releasing and probably making each unit slightly cheaper to produce as a result
all instead of licensing it out to Funimation or Sentai which they can just do later on anyway, making the money they would have made anyway, further increasing their revenue
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
It's people like you whom are keeping the rest of us from being able to afford these franchises. I absolutely adore Kara no Kyoukai as well, but I can't afford to pay $1000 for a movie set. Please re-consider your order....sigh.

Why? We have the money to spend on a Japanese release. How is this any different from any other series that comes out in Japan, costs a fortune to own, and doesn't come out in North America? Why THIS series in particular? Edit: And to reiterate, you can do watch it FREE online, so even that comparison is invalid as neither us paying customers nor Aniplex are denying you the opportunity to actually watch the series legally.

Furthermore, people are complaining that the price is too high, when these Japanese prices have to recoup production costs (about 1.5million USD per 13-ep run), whereas North American prices just have to recoup dubbing and/or licensing costs (hint, significantly less). It's completely different scenario.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the fear of this becoming a trend, and I remember discussing this in past topics too. I feel like I'm a rare breed: someone who actually BUYS anime. The thing is, it would be taking away not only a hobby of mine, but another customer as well if this continues for alot of titles (despite whether the Japanese care about a global business or not).

IF they had a super-ultra-deluxe edition like they do now, PLUS a standard edition, well things would be fine and dandy! People who want more can have more, and people who want to own the series period, can do so as well. Right now, they cater to people with more money... And our fanbase, well, I always hear the "I'm a teen with an allowance" and "I'm a poor college student" who can only afford a few SAVE titles (even) every year. Having this cater to those with cash, isn't exactly fair to many of us, especially knowing that Funi or Sentai or whomever won't pop up and make a cheaper version.

As for quality > quantity, I still have a LARGE backlog of games, anime, and manga to buy. So yes, I would gladly rather buy 6 full priced games, 13 anime boxsets, or 50 manga volumes instead of ONE (unfortunately pretty) boxset Sad I would rather buy MORE titles than focus on just one huge purchase.

We fear this trend will continue for some of our other favorite shows we will never afford to buy... I buy localized stuff, not import stuff (BECAUSE of the prices).
angieness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind most of Aniplex's prices to be honest, this release is the exception. While the prices for Madoka, Blue Exorcist, etc. are higher than the current average, they're similar to how much anime used to cost so it doesn't really bother me. If Fate/Zero cost $400 altogether I wouldn't mind plopping that kind of cash down on the whole series. $400 however for half the series is a bit much.

Now I can afford the set no problem and I really enjoy the series, but I won't be buying these sets. I'm going to wait it out and see if Aniplex does an actual proper US release. If they do, awesome, I will get it. If they don't, my loss.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
takachsh wrote:
I'm so excited, I can't wait for my order to ship! This is what makes these releases so amazing and worth the price tag imo.

<sigh> I'm still flipping back and forth and trying to decide whether to cancel my Amazon.JP order, or my TRSI order. Argh! $40-50 or translation booklet, better packaging and no DHL...

errinundra wrote:
Please indulge in this little mind experiment: Count how many anime titles you have bought in the last 12 months. How much did you spend? If the standard price for a 13 episode series was $400, how many would you have bought then?

Hmm... I'm not Ryan, but that's a good question.

Last year:
US releases: 7 BD movies, 2 DVD movies, 7 TV series BD sets (Katanagatari x2, Spice&Wolf 1&2[as poor as they are in video, I shouldn't have ;_;] , Rideback, 12 Kingdoms x3), 4 TV series BD singles (K-On!), 1 OVA BD single (Cat Shit One), 9 TV series DVD sets (Durarara!! x3, Antique Bakery, Working/Wagnaria!!, Utena x3, Sound of the Sky)

Somewhere in between: Kara no Kyoukai BD set, Gundam Unicorn BDs 3&4

Japanese releases: 7 BD movies (Welcome to the Space Show, Whisper of the Heart, Arietty, Ponyo, Mardock Scramble v1, 5cm/sec [rather disappointing in audio], Children Who Hear Voices..., ) , 7 TV series BD boxes (Clannad:After Story, Baccano!, Planetes, Patlabor TV boxes 1&2, Dennou Coil, Toradora!), 37 TV series BD singles for 2 series (K-On!! x3, Madoka Magica x6, Hourou Musukou/Wandering Son x6, Hanasaku Iroha x6, Tiger&Bunny x8, Usagi Drop x3, Denpa Onna x2, Steins;Gate x2, Chihayafuru x1), 2 OVA BD sets (Patlabor New OVAs & Original OVAs), 1 ONA BD (Time of Eve)

Hmm... I think that that's it. I might have overlooked a few releases from either country, since my notes are a bit messy.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
I really don't see where the fear of this becoming a trend is coming from. One company tried a similar business model before, Bandai Visual, and failed. So far, we've had one expensive import release that was limited and sold out. It likely sold out in large part due to the fact that it was limited and many preordered it knowing they wouldn't get another chance.

Fate/Zero seems to be doing okay but I doubt it's going to lead to Aniplex or anyone else skipping the local licensors and going straight to an import only business model. First of all, Fate appears to only be getting this treatment because the license was over priced and neither Sentai or Funimation would cough up the cash for home video rights.

Secondly, import releases aren't proven in any other English speaking market. Australia and the UK are very dependent on the US for dubs and sub-only releases in those markets are still fairly rare, though they appear to be increasing. By cutting out the US market and the potential for a dub, the Japanese companies like Aniplex would be greatly decreasing the chances of the title being picked up in other markets and thus decreasing their chances for even greater sales.

A sub-only import may be a very profitable way of doing a release, but it's never going to have the potential to make a series a hit like an English dub or a TV run can do.

If the Japanese companies were really interested in cutting out companies like Sentai and Funimation and doing it themselves, they would have already done so and they wouldn't have allowed licensing costs to fall as far as they have.

One or two import releases of series whose licenses were overpriced does not make a trend. The fears of this leading to the Japanese running the entire local market are really overblown, especially considering that Aniplex is one of the companies that most actively licenses to both Sentai and Funimation.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
errinundra wrote:
That means YOU will be buying LESS anime in future.

You might buy less, but you'll buy shows you want to own. I'm glad anime streaming is getting better and better for the western world because it becomes like TV for us...we watch what we want, and then possibly but what we want.

I'd be buying less of what I want to own. Rather than 4-6 titles of what I'd like to physically own, I'd only get 1. I'm certainly not the only one who'd like to own more than a couple titles a year. Late night anime absolutely cannot survive from TV viewership alone, considering they actually have to pay for broadcast costs themselves. The ads from show sponsors mostly help cover just those broadcast costs. So they have to rely on video sales and/or merchandise sales. But as I've mentioned before, the extremely high prices causes the majority of titles to bomb in Japan and leads to a huge difference between the handful of good sellers and the rest of the poor sellers and little in between. (That's why nearly every anime is funded by a large production committee. They can take risks and compensate for most of their poor sellers all from a few good sellers. Studios funding their own productions would go broke left and right)

And Japanese consumers feel the same way too. Why else would there be a robust reverse importation market and huge fears from the industry about it? Since it is still cheaper, especially factoring in the exchange rate, you'll notice that even rightstuf is prohibited by Aniplex from shipping to Japan.

Quote:
If Japan sees that American fans would gladly pay a little more for a good quality release in a reasonable amount of time, maybe prices can drop in Japan if US sales can be consistent. That's what I hope for in the future.

Aside the fact it's not just "a little more", that's not the way the market works. They'll keep on charging the highest price they think the consumer is willing to bear, for the minimal volume they need in a particular market.

Heck, the reason why Aniplex is doing this here is because for Fate/Zero like for Kara no Kyoukai, they think there's enough people who's willing to pay that much. But notice that even they don't think so for most of the Aniplex produced titles (contrary to how it is in Japan where everyone tries to charge the same high price)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5