• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku x Powerpuff Girls Keychains Offered in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
:looks up more into it:

Oh my god these transformation scenes are horrible.

Between the style of clothes they're wearing and the "motions" they're going through, it almost feels like a Debbie Gibson song should be playing!

Like I said, they're relative to your personal preferences. As a magical girl genre fan, I actually enjoyed the show. Transformation scenes included. :/

Guess as a magical girl show, it kinda works. But as a PPG spinoff, not so much. PPG was about fun with parodies in sugary sweet. (For example, the villains wouldn't work any other way.) Kinda like turning Mach Go Go Go into Speed Racer difference. Regardless, even in Japan, not many remember PPGZ anymore - after all, Japan has its own generic magical girl shows already. (Like how Voltron as really the only giant robot series widely remembered in America, but GoLion is just but one of many in Japan.) Even amongst Western anime fandom, there's no push to have it licensed. Some of the only ones here interested are already PPG fans to begin with. That's probably why even in Japan, they still use the original PPG designs for promos such as this and for the recent earthquake project, because they're still the most recognized.

TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm pretty sure the main reason it's not licensed is because of Cartoon Network. It aired in other countries, after all.

And that last thing is a very misleading. PPGZ and PPG aren't really owned by the same companies. It's not really proof of anything anymore than saying Monchhichi is more popular than One Piece because Chopper's not on that logo and nobody wanted One Piece on there (or maybe PreCure in terms of magical girl). Too many factors to make a statement like that when it comes to copyright and different companies; especially if the whole thing is orchestrated by one guy. Personally I think the Z would be out of place there.. all those characters are for very little kids, and Z was aimed at a bit older audiences and otaku.

And this article, well, reread it, it's about the 10th year anniversary of the cartoon in Japan and it's due to a collaboration with Cartoon Network. Of course they won't use the Z characters for that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
And it seems to have ramped up the "chirpiness" of the original up to 11...something I'm not partial to.

Wonder how you feel about the opening

One of my favorites.

...not the most obnoxious opening I've ever seen, but yeah, pretty obnoxious.
I've heard worse. Visuals are pretty risque as well. Just scrapping the paint off the side of crossing that line of PC, me thinks. I don't think that one will get an English dub for the American audience. Over all it reminds me of Pretty Sammy's Magic Girl's Club Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
One reason the show never came to America is probably the flop of the original's movie. It also doesn't help that it seems the dub also felt the need to make Snake a chick, which is not exactly something that'd go unnoticed here. There's also the fact that, just judging from the opening and the transformation sequences, the PPGZ just doesn't appeal to the same audience as the original(and CN's strongly under-10 male audience is the one reason it still commands decent prices for commercials).
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Personally I think the Z would be out of place there.. all those characters are for very little kids, and Z was aimed at a bit older audiences and otaku.

That's pretty subjective. I'm 19 years old, and I still enjoy watching Cartoon Network shows, sure some of it is partially due to nostalgia, but then there are some of the more recent CN shows like Flapjack and Chower - those shows are genius in my opinion, and more aimed towards a broader audience. Seriously, most fans of Flapjack and Chower are teenagers, not necessarily young children.

That said, not every fan of the original PPG was a little kid at the time. Sure I watched PPG when I was young, but I still liked it even as I grew older.

Besides, PPG was originally going to be called 'Whoop*** Stew'. If you don't believe me, look up the pilot episode on youtube.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Visuals are pretty risque as well. Just scrapping the paint off the side of crossing that line of PC, me thinks.

Allow the DVDs and extras to cross that line then.

Otaku buying power activate.

Polycell wrote:
One reason the show never came to America is probably the flop of the original's movie.

Probably. Z came out in 2006, and PPG was already done in America at that point no thanks to the movie flop and post movie episode decline. One has to wonder if that's why Aniplex was even given the license to make a show of in the first place, it was a last bit of money Cartoon Network could squeeze out of the property before hanging it out to dry. Then they didn't even bother to bring it back to the US due to lack of interest and possible demographic/censorship issues (the dub that does exist is pretty heavily altered akin to what you'd see in 4Kids stuff)

The Goron Marshall wrote:
That said, not every fan of the original PPG was a little kid at the time. Sure I watched PPG when I was young, but I still liked it even as I grew older.

Besides, PPG was originally going to be called 'Whoop*** Stew'. If you don't believe me, look up the pilot episode on youtube.

I'm don't doubt older people watched it, but the thing is no matter who watched it or not doesn't really change the original target demographic. It's still a kid's show, just like I'm sure older people would love to watch Doug or Rugrats again. Still aimed at the under 10 crowd though.

As for the pilot well, it's not the first time that's happened. Problem Solverz was originally pitched for Adult Swim, but instead they just toned it down and aired it on Cartoon Network for kids. Retooling stuff is fairly common.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Visuals are pretty risque as well. Just scrapping the paint off the side of crossing that line of PC, me thinks.

Allow the DVDs and extras to cross that line then.

Otaku buying power activate.
Oh I'm sure there's a doujin out there for it as well, at least one, or two. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Eh, I'm pretty sure the main reason it's not licensed is because of Cartoon Network. It aired in other countries, after all.

Didn't mention why it wasn't licensed (and in the end, it doesn't really matter because...); what I said was there's no push to get it licensed even. Also, feeling is Craig McCracken won't like it here neither, another reason.

TitanXL wrote:

And that last thing is a very misleading. PPGZ and PPG aren't really owned by the same companies. It's not really proof of anything anymore than saying Monchhichi is more popular than One Piece because Chopper's not on that logo and nobody wanted One Piece on there (or maybe PreCure in terms of magical girl). Too many factors to make a statement like that when it comes to copyright and different companies; especially if the whole thing is orchestrated by one guy. Personally I think the Z would be out of place there.. all those characters are for very little kids, and Z was aimed at a bit older audiences and otaku.

That is a fair point, though it does show that the original PPG design is still recognizable in Japan, at least among kids and the general populace. I don't think the same can be said about PPGZ even just among otaku, to whom it was aimed for.

TitanXL wrote:

And this article, well, reread it, it's about the 10th year anniversary of the cartoon in Japan and it's due to a collaboration with Cartoon Network. Of course they won't use the Z characters for that.

Yes, but at least they could had mentioned it or even showed it in an insert or something, to portray how proud they are that Japan deemed the franchise popular enough to make its own adaptation.

TitanXL wrote:

Polycell wrote:
One reason the show never came to America is probably the flop of the original's movie.

Probably. Z came out in 2006, and PPG was already done in America at that point no thanks to the movie flop and post movie episode decline.

PPG was riding the popularity wave when they decided to do a movie, but CN took too long to get it into theaters. By then, it had already been months with hardly any new episodes, curbing enthusiasm. Definitely this is something that they can learn from anime with its quicker timely TV-cum-movie releases (even if it's just 60 minutes).
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh I'm sure there's a doujin out there for it as well, at least one, or two. Rolling Eyes

It was quite popular when it was airing. If it hadn't been, it would not have lasted for as many episodes as it did. They were prepared to take it off the air if it didn't gain enough popularity at the time.
Granted, people don't pay as much attention to it now because it wasn't revolutionary or particularly marketed hugely in terms of where it fit in the genre, but it still gains a bit of recognition among different kinds of fans in Japan. And, of course, in America.
It never reached the popularity of Powerpuff Girls in America, but then... Powerpuff Girls didn't reach popularity in Japan, either. In comparison to other American cartoons, it still did well. But American cartoons don't do that well in Japan anyway, so you can only take that argument so far before it doesn't work anymore...
As for comparing the overall popularity of Powerpuff Girls vs. Powerpuff Girls Z in Japan... I don't have numbers, but just by the fact that Magical Girl fans exceed cartoon fans, I would guess Powerpuff Girls Z was more popular overall.

enurtsol wrote:
it does show that the original PPG design is still recognizable in Japan, at least among kids and the general populace. I don't think the same can be said about PPGZ even just among otaku, to whom it was aimed for.

Yes, but at least they could had mentioned it or even showed it in an insert or something, to portray how proud they are that Japan deemed the franchise popular enough to make its own adaptation.

PPG is somewhat recognizable as a cartoon in Japan, however, I think these products and that collaboration are meant more as a promotion of the series, not a result of its popularity. Cartoon Network is known to do some forceful things to advertise its cartoons in Japan because cartoons don't gain much popularity in the first place. I'm pretty sure PPGZ gained more of a following in Japan than the original PPG.

Also, there would be no point to mentioning PPGZ anyway, because it's not the direct property of the companies involved. And it would be far too off-topic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

They were prepared to take it off the air if it didn't gain enough popularity at the time.

That hardly ever happens in Japan. Even for long-running series, they at least give them time to stop where they want. That's a good thing about Japan broadcasting - a series' scheduled order is pretty much guaranteed a complete run (partly because they have nothing else better as replacement anyways - it's not like Hollywood studios where they always have something ready in the vault), plus it helped that it aired 7am, less pressure.

Juno016 wrote:

As for comparing the overall popularity of Powerpuff Girls vs. Powerpuff Girls Z in Japan... I don't have numbers, but just by the fact that Magical Girl fans exceed cartoon fans, I would guess Powerpuff Girls Z was more popular overall.

Not necessarily - not all shows are made equal. For example, FPS games are more popular in America than JRPG games, but not all FPS games are made equal - a JRPG game can be more popular than some lower-tier FPS games (say, Final Fantasy). Some properties can exceed their genres. Further, magical girl fans and cartoon fans are not mutually exclusive.

Juno016 wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
it does show that the original PPG design is still recognizable in Japan, at least among kids and the general populace. I don't think the same can be said about PPGZ even just among otaku, to whom it was aimed for.

PPG is somewhat recognizable as a cartoon in Japan, however, I think these products and that collaboration are meant more as a promotion of the series, not a result of its popularity.

Not likely for the non-profit recent earthquake project. That was mainly picked by Domo creator Tsuneo Goda to cheer up the kids devastated by the quake, not as a shameless promotion for anything, so he picked stuff that children would recognize and make them happy.

Juno016 wrote:

I'm pretty sure PPGZ gained more of a following in Japan than the original PPG.

Not from our direct experience though, from friends and acquaintances in Japan and outside - many at least recognize PPG but not PPGZ, even amongst fellow otaku. That's why CN can celebrate a 10th Anniversary there, because people still recognize it (AFAIK they don't do that just for any other show). PPG exceeded its genre; many of the few who recognized PPGZ are PPG fans to start with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2