• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I always get the feeling from reading comments to reviews like this that people are very temperamental about their anime and will drop anything on a dime. That's always been weird to me as I feel I must either have no taste at all or just a very high tolerance to cliche and mediocrity. The way both this and Pirates are headed, I wouldn't be surprised if Lagrange does end up the more interesting anime; especially when we already know season two is scheduled for the Summer.

I'm not sure yet myself, for me after watching one epiosde it feels like the type I just want to marathon instead of waiting each week to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I always get the feeling from reading comments to reviews like this that people are very temperamental about their anime and will drop anything on a dime. That's always been weird to me as I feel I must either have no taste at all or just a very high tolerance to cliche and mediocrity. The way both this and Pirates are headed, I wouldn't be surprised if Lagrange does end up the more interesting anime; especially when we already know season two is scheduled for the Summer.

It is great to see someone else that feels this way! I have attributed it to the fact that I have only been watching anime for a comparatively short amount of time and have not been overwhelmed by the cliches. However, I doubt that it will change any time soon, since I don't expect shows to not use cliche elements. Tropes and common themes are one of the major tools that authors can use to avoid excessive expostulation in their stories, which is a sure fire way to turn a good story into a boring watch/read.

That aside, I still doubt that Lagrange will surpass BSP in my personal ranking, though I do have hopes that it will make me look forward to the second installment in the summer, while enjoying the second half of BSP in the spring! (It is nice that Sato can concentrate on one at a time for the second half of them, unless he has another bun in the creative oven, that is...) So far, I am not fully convinced that Lagrange will make me want to keep watching. I have to admit, that I haven't gotten to the latest two episodes, so perhaps there is more there than I have seen so far...

The biggest surprise in the review to me is the high praise of the art and animation. Perhaps it is the low quality of the feed on Hulu/Viz Anime, where I have been watching it, but the quality of the animation and art have been disappointing to me, especially in comparison to the outstanding art and animation in BSP. There are flashes of brilliance, and the VOX Ovids are generally well designed. (The 'bad guys' Ovids, on the other hand, are just bad. They are rather ugly.) Some of the backgrounds are very pretty, but I find that they frequently don't look that good, at least on my monitor. I have always gotten the feeling that it was more a stream quality issue, except for some of the character animation, which has frequently looked very odd... kind of "too cartoonish" but not the SD style. Its hard to explain...

The level of fan service does seem to level off after the first couple of episodes. I am not, personally, bothered by fan service. I frequently enjoy it. However, the pointlessness of the fan service is a bit disturbing in this series. I understand that the "mark" made by the VOX is a plot point, but having Madoka's cousin rip her pants down to check it out is a bit extreme. Worse yet was the shower scene, with Lan watching. Really? Was that necessary? Then there is the topper: the location of Muginami's mark, and the fact that she stripped down in front of the robot to begin with. Why? Is she some sort of robo-exhibitionist?

I have enjoyed the series so far, but I am reserving judgment as to how good I think it is. It has potential.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Worse yet was the shower scene, with Lan watching. Really? Was that necessary?

I've seen far more perverse shower scenes than that... A Certain Scientific Railgun comes to mind. Lagrange's scene came down to Lan just being an oddball.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
zensunni wrote:

I've seen far more perverse shower scenes than that... A Certain Scientific Railgun comes to mind. Lagrange's scene came down to Lan just being an oddball.

nothing is more pure than two girls sharing quailty time in a shower.. ahem.. yeah. Also really shower scenes have been staples since the 80's it's not going to change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The biggest surprise in the review to me is the high praise of the art and animation. Perhaps it is the low quality of the feed on Hulu/Viz Anime, where I have been watching it, but the quality of the animation and art have been disappointing to me, especially in comparison to the outstanding art and animation in BSP. There are flashes of brilliance, and the VOX Ovids are generally well designed. (The 'bad guys' Ovids, on the other hand, are just bad. They are rather ugly.) Some of the backgrounds are very pretty, but I find that they frequently don't look that good, at least on my monitor. I have always gotten the feeling that it was more a stream quality issue, except for some of the character animation, which has frequently looked very odd... kind of "too cartoonish" but not the SD style. Its hard to explain...

Watching 720p TV captures, the art style is pretty unique, and they're using a style that makes the characters pop from the background as if they want it to be a 3D anime. I'm not sure how to describe it, like the lineart has a chroma effect and slight blur? The backgrounds and detailing are very sharp, but oddly, Guilty Crown for all of its misgiving is probably the technical best for detail right now.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This show got off to a very disappointing start, but it's been growing on me since episode 3, with the big prophecy reveal. I still think Mouretsu Pirates is a much superior effort by Tatsuo Sato, though.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Watching 720p TV captures, the art style is pretty unique, and they're using a style that makes the characters pop from the background as if they want it to be a 3D anime. I'm not sure how to describe it, like the lineart has a chroma effect and slight blur? The backgrounds and detailing are very sharp, but oddly, Guilty Crown for all of its misgiving is probably the technical best for detail right now.

I had a hunch that was what was going on. The show is made to be watched in AT LEAST 720p. The 480p feed on Hulu/Viz Anime, combined with the part I bolded above, makes the characters look like paper cut-outs in front of the background in many cases, in addition to the scenes just looking poorer due to the lower resolution in general... I just don't want to pay for Hulu Plus, since you still have to watch the commercials! I will probably have to knuckle down and do it again eventually... (I dropped Hulu Plus about a year ago because most of the anime wasn't available on devices like Roku and PS3. Now that Funimation and TAN have wised up about that, it may be worth it again... I don't know what NicoNico's resolution is, but if Hulu+ is better, I might just re-watch Guilty Crown from the beginning, just for the visuals! It is really, really pretty to look at!)
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
zensunni wrote:

nothing is more pure than two girls sharing quailty time in a shower.. ahem.. yeah. Also really shower scenes have been staples since the 80's it's not going to change.

Yes, but compare this to how the "shower scene" was done in Toradora! That scene was extremely effective, without having any gratuitous nudity. (Unlike the scene shortly after that with Kitamura, where there is plenty of gratuitous nudity, and even more humor!)

Anyway, the fact that it was not as perverse as it could have been and that it is a staple does not change the fact that it was entirely gratuitous. It didn't advance the plot at all. Lan's an oddball... Yep, we get that... (Woof!) I think we understood it when she took Madoka's clothes in the opening scene!

Last edited by zensunni on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarCho66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

That aside, I still doubt that Lagrange will surpass BSP in my personal ranking, though I do have hopes that it will make me look forward to the second installment in the summer, while enjoying the second half of BSP in the spring! (It is nice that Sato can concentrate on one at a time for the second half of them, unless he has another bun in the creative oven, that is...) So far, I am not fully convinced that Lagrange will make me want to keep watching. I have to admit, that I haven't gotten to the latest two episodes, so perhaps there is more there than I have seen so far...

You're joking right?Laughing

Moretsu Pirates looks incredibly under budget in comparison to Lagrannge, the CG used in the show looks very choppy and doesn't have the smooth transition like Lagrange does when switching between 2d and 3D, thanks in part to Production I.G. assisting Xebec. The art is also fairly genric in itself and doesn't stand out at all, it's obvious that Satelight is putting all their attention on Aquarion Evol this season especially given that Moretsu Pirates was delayed.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Moretsu Pirates looks incredibly under budget in comparison to Lagrannge, the CG used in the show looks very choppy and doesn't have the smooth transition like Lagrange does when switching between 2d and 3D, thanks in part to Production I.G. assisting Xebec. The art is also fairly genric in itself and doesn't stand out at all, it's obvious that Satelight is putting all their attention on Aquarion Evol this season especially given that Moretsu Pirates was delayed.

Well, according to Carl's review of BSP:
Quote:
The quality of art and animation stays consistent (which is to say fine, or in the case of spaceships and other CG objects, spectacular)

I agree with Carl. I don't think that the artwork is at all generic, especially the scenes on the planet.

Also note that I said I suspect that the problem is that I'm watching the low-res feed on Hulu/Viz Anime and not an HD stream. (see the other responses above as well...) I have watched BSP in at least 720p and have not notices any problems with choppy CG or transition problems from one to the other. (In 1080p it was a bit choppy, but I attributed that to bandwidth and switched back to 720p.)
BarCho66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Well, according to Carl's review of BSP:
Quote:
The quality of art and animation stays consistent (which is to say fine, or in the case of spaceships and other CG objects, spectacular)

I agree with Carl. I don't think that the artwork is at all generic, especially the scenes on the planet.

Also note that I said I suspect that the problem is that I'm watching the low-res feed on Hulu/Viz Anime and not an HD stream. (see the other responses above as well...) I have watched BSP in at least 720p and have not notices any problems with choppy CG or transition problems from one to the other. (In 1080p it was a bit choppy, but I attributed that to bandwidth and switched back to 720p.)

That was one aspect of the Moretsu Pirates review I didn't agree with since the show looks fairly unimpressive visual wise particularly all the CG space ships which is a far cry to what we've seen Satelight pulled off with Macross Frontier and Basquash, and once again the character designs along with the art are equally unimpressive though Satelight took liberties form the LN art which looked better in comparison.

vinamara wrote:
Wow, this review pretty much speaks the opposite of what other reviewers think of their favorite. The last line was quite unexpected. However, it is interesting to see an inverted take while comparing these two titles.

Well, I prefer Space Pirates to this show though mostly because I'm actually starting to like Marika and her levelheadedness. Marika's split-second decision making skills far outweigh Madoka's unreasonable spunk and simplicity.

Also, has anyone noticed that a blonde loli appears in episode 8 of both Space pirates and Lagrange? I hope Sato isn't mixing the two up because this blatant parallel makes you wonder what he's thinking. It doesn't seem like a mere coincidence.

And Madoka's actual personality seems to outweigh Marika's lack of one Rolling Eyes
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
-People comparing Pirates to Lagrange

DON'T.

Lagrange is traditional fanservice in a Super Robot show while Pirates is TECH fanservice. It's meant to be slow.

Lagrange is awesome so far. Lan's definitely one of my favorite females of the season next to Chikaki and Zessica. The mecha designs (DESIGNED BY NISSAN!) are awesome. Plot seems interesting. Vila-whatever-his-name-is seems to be Space Koetsu and NOT the real villain.

Also;
Chair Symbolism.
Let's not forget the fanservice at the end of Episode 7!

I can't help but see subtext between Lan and Madoka even though it's not necessarily there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It is great to see someone else that feels this way! I have attributed it to the fact that I have only been watching anime for a comparatively short amount of time and have not been overwhelmed by the cliches. However, I doubt that it will change any time soon, since I don't expect shows to not use cliche elements. Tropes and common themes are one of the major tools that authors can use to avoid excessive expostulation in their stories, which is a sure fire way to turn a good story into a boring watch/read.

Heh, I just use the same response when watching any other video, whether animated or live-action. For instance, just imagine if it's an anime that ya wouldn't continue to watch as live-action, or live-action that ya wouldn't continue to watch animated, they why continue for continue's sake? Laughing
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm glad to see Lagrange finally getting the love it deserves Very Happy
Is that supposed to also relate to some of the stuff that has happened in the show recently? Razz

Anyway, I'm surprised I'd actually see a real positive review for the show. Before I clicked on it, I was going "Let me guess, another C or a C+" and I was pleasantly surprised to see it get a "B+" overall.

This show has been my favorite show this season, even with the most recent episode (Spoiler for those who haven't seen episode 8 yet. spoiler[For some reason this makes me laugh. I can't wait to see how things will go in the future with how Midori is grounded.]). Mouretsu Pirates comes close (It's my 2nd favorite this season, used to be my favorite.), both are 9/10's for me.

It's a shame that VIZ Media probably won't ever consider releasing it physically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm glad to see Lagrange finally getting the love it deserves Very Happy

This show has been my favorite show this season, even with the most recent episode (Spoiler for those who haven't seen episode 8 yet. spoiler[For some reason makes me laugh. I can't wait to see how things will go in the future with how Midori is grounded.]). Mouretsu Pirates comes close (It's my 2nd favorite this season, used to be my favorite.), both are 9/10's for me.

Hard to say if it would be my favorite right now or deserve a B+ as the series has only aired roughly only 1/3. That same goes for Morestu Pirates. Until most of the episodes has aired, I wouldn't say this as my favorite just yet. Also as I recall, Rinne no Lagrange is an original anime so there's no manga adaptation of it. Still, the series so far is definitely good in my book and has alot of potential so agreed with you on that part even with the most recent episode.

Hmm, next episode looks like a filler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I watched what is available of Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne Sunday night and just a few hours ago. I admit that I only did this because Tatsuo Sato is working on it as well as on Bodacious Space Pirates, although I'm not sure to what extent, so I was curious to see what this was like. To be short: I didn't especially care for it and I still far prefer Bodacious Space Pirates.

I don't want to worry much about comparing the two, however, since that's not really something I enjoy and I've gushed over Bodacious Space Pirates enough.

Carl has been rooting for this series since the preview guides and I just can't see most of what he's talking about. Often I think I understand him well enough for his reviews to be useful and satisfying, but on this, I'm at a loss. I just hope that he isn't going all Armond White on us.

I found the first three episodes of Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne a chore to watch. I spent each minute hoping to get to the next, not out of excitement to see what would happen, but because that would bring me closer to the end, thus to it all being gotten on with. It was all so faithfully, overtly standard-issue that I could only watch it in rather bad faith. Somewhere in episode four or five, it become more bearable, sometimes even pleasing, but it's still at a disadvantage.

I don't find its characterization satisfying. I'm glad that the producers didn't make Lan an emotionally immovable ice statue and I appreciate that Muginami has had a hard, miserable life. I even like that Madoka is a little idiosyncratic, but much of it feels too neatly boxed, wrapped and tied with a bow for me. The characters feel almost like packages of affectations glued together with big, broad emotions. Their feelings are too open, direct and obvious for me to really become invested in. I can enjoy watching them for a while, but I can't in any satisfying sense care about them.

It might all have been futile anyway, because I have never liked super robot shows, not even when I was a boy, so in most cases wherein the hook is that there are cool, way-awesome badass robots fighting, I'd probably be wasting my time, no matter what. There's also this dramatic technique that seems popular with robot shows wherein during a fight, the camera will cut to cockpits and the characters will start talking, arguing or just emoting over the battle. This usually feels like an interruption in the action with things better dealt with in other scenes that strains my suspension of disbelief and seems impossible to balance in way that is in any sense satisfying.

I have been afflicted with enough curiosity about the story that I might continue to watch this series, but it never really had hold of me and I can't really imagine that it ever will. Underneath any pretensions of analysis or explanation that I might make, there's a sort of loose, primal emotional response that drives my opinions and Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne just never managed to win that over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3