• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Overrated Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
One piece should be at #1.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, a show to me is overrated if a.) there is absolutely no originality b.)the characters are either stereotypical or just plain boring. or c.) a over used theme, i.e. anything moe.

We all have opinions and if we didn't, imagine how boring the world would be. I will say this and this alone, to each their own. Watch what you will and just enjoy anime.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
In this age of the Internet, *overrated* has come to mean "My opinion is the only one that matters & you are all idiots for disagreeing with me when I tell you I don't like the thing that you like."

In the real world, it's just a difference of opinion. NOT a universal truth.

Amen.

On the internet, the term overrated is overrated.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Ani-watcher wrote:
Why is Madoka the most overrated, it was the best anime I've watched on that poll in my opinion. It makes me sad that it was first on the poll. Infinite Stratos seemed the most overrated in terms of harem anime go, mostly due to the fact that the main dude just gets me so mad.

Madoka's fanbase is my problem to be honest. It's like the Gurren Lagann fanbase (BEST THING EVER! Anime hyper, FIRST ROBOT TO USE DRILLS! Very Happy) That being said, the idea, music and art style for the most part were great. However; the execution on the other hand sucked.

As for IS;

That's because they dumbed down the anime. In the novels, Ichitaka had monologues which gave more information and developed HIM as a character. In the anime, they took out the monologues and made him denser than a rock.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the word "over-rated" is just too harmful in this situation. It sets a standard for us to judge anime by and doesn't take into account the fact that a lot of high opinions of an anime may be plausible or implausible to each viewer's personal interests. I'd rather have someone watch AnoHana and dislike it than not watch it and be told it's not worth their time.

But a poll is a poll. I'd say that in the case of many of these series on this list, the more popular something is, regardless of how good it is, the more likely its attention will be drawn to those who would hate it for some reason or another.

In my case, I'm increasingly feeling like Madoka might be the most intricate anime I've seen in my life. I don't have low standards for anime and I've seen nearly everything under the sun (hello, exaggeration). I've also got comments about the series from Toodai literature professors on my side, so that's saying something. But then, quite a few of my friends think it's got nothing good going for it. And it's not like they have low standards either. They have some big anime reviewers on their side, so that's saying something, too.
In the end, it just comes down to:

Watch it before you judge it.

Right?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The trouble I have with discussing "overrated" shows is that it always seems to collapse into a debate over which shows simply suck. To be overrated something must be at least reasonably highly rated. I don't think half the shows on this list even are though.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
shabaz92 wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:
Guilty Crown is too damn low.

If a show is generally regarded as not being that good anyway, can it really be considered overrated?

From, what I've gathered, most of the dislike for Guilty Crown has been from English speaking anime fans.
I don't know how the Japanese people view it, so it's not easy to tell.

Ahiru77 wrote:

That's what I meant, rate too highly.....as in "This is worse than you give it credit for."

I think "not as good" would have been better.

mike.motaku wrote:
In this age of the Internet, *overrated* has come to mean "My opinion is the only one that matters & you are all idiots for disagreeing with me when I tell you I don't like the thing that you like."

In the real world, it's just a difference of opinion. NOT a universal truth.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
SuperSaiyen312

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
In the end, these will still make it into the Top 50 best anime. Trolled polls

Edit
Side note: Chihayafuru is only 20 episodes in, and has quite a few more episodes to go from the looks of it. How do you judge an anime that hasn't been out for very long and isn't even that far into the story?

Last edited by SuperSaiyen312 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Has Bleach ever actually been good enough to be considered "over-rated"? I'm skeptical. I don't think it ever really became good enough to be considered "great" as opposed to just "entertaining".
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
When polling negativity, you mainly draw those people that like tearing shows apart, that said though....

I think it is awesome the Madoka Magica is polling so great in the overrated category. That means it affected so many people that they felt the need to vote it number one.

Negative interest is just as important as positive interest. The kiss of death is no interest.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah my top faves aren't on there. Knew I had weird taste.
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Ani-watcher wrote:
Why is Madoka the most overrated, it was the best anime I've watched on that poll in my opinion. It makes me sad that it was first on the poll.

Madoka Magica's popularity has given it such broad exposure that a potentially large number of people that might never have heard of it are giving it a try. If any of those people give up after one or two episodes, they might not understand why raving fans like it.

Because I watched them while they were airing, it was easy to avoid the fandom and the hype around Madoka Magica and AnoHana, and I ended up loving those shows. I also enjoyed K-On, but if I were to start it now, I would be expecting the greatest show ever because of how popular it is. What show could possibly live up to a reputation like that?
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
How is Usagi Drop and Nichijou on the list? I haven't heardf anything about them since they ended. ( Well except that the Usagi Drop Spin off has ended.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
{pokes fanbase}It's pretty funny that Heaven's Lost Property/Sora No Otoshimono didn't make the top 50 list. Either nobody minds or nobody likes it.

Yes, Ano Ho Mita {so on, so on...} is overrated. I've seen padding before but if the main character just noticed one obvious fact about the girl, the series would have been over in three episodes. Also, the whining overacting is so annoying...

Infinite Stratos. It's neither funny, sexy or exciting enough. It's just there.

Angel Beats, oh yeah. Most people here treat it like the second coming but really, it's playing poker without any ace or face cards.

Haruhi. I like Haruhi, I have the DVDs including Chan but I can see it, not the show itself but as a franchise.

Gintama: A world where aliens are impressed by feudal Japan. Hail the greatness of the samurai! It goes on and on...

The rest I either haven't seen or actually kind of respect.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Especially K-on!!, it was too crappy for me. Mixed some slice of life comedy with fluffy moe subjects is not a good way, there's no stressful ordeal or anything.

Hm? I don't think every show needs to have a climax or stressful ordeal to be good or appeal to people. K-On! for me, is more about just enjoying the simpler things in life - watching the comedic and carefree interactions of a high school music club members and forgetting the stress of daily life. Sure, shows with complex plots, action and intrigue are great, but it's nice to have shows SOL shows like K-On!, Lucky Star, Ichigo Mashimaro, Nichijou and Azumanga Diaoh that you can watch and relax, you know?

...but I guess that's the difference between American and Japanese tastes for you. One focuses more on the narrative, while the other focuses more on the characters and their interactions.

Not necessarily American tastes. For instance, two of the more popular animated shows in American geek circles now are Adventure Time and Phineas & Ferb, and those can be considered slice-of-life, just fantastical but with no big baddies nor really any stressful ordeals, mainly carefree comedy and focus on character interactions. So, it's not just American tastes.

Actar wrote:

Returning the topic at hand though, I think that overrated, in this context, is more about how much the fans hype up the shows than the actual quality of the show itself.

Think of it kinda like NYK Jeremy Lin-sanity: the whole country overblew it, but doesn't mean he doesn't have mad skillz. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7