• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Overrated Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
You know what you won't see on this list? Fullmetal Alchemist franchise anime. Brotherhood is ANN's #2 so it proves it's the real deal, not overrated or at least not Top 50 overrated.

Nor will you find Gurren Lagann. It hasn't weathered quite as well as FMA:B, at #30, but it damn sure deserves to be there.

This is what a Top 50 Anime list looks like: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian

Last edited by LagannImpact on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of unexpected titles on that list. Certainly didn't expect Madoka to take the #1 spot, though I was sure it'd be on there. And Natsume Yujin-cho and Bunny Drop? Huh. I'm not surprised because I don't think they're overrated, I'm surprised because before this I hadn't heard anyone saying those were overrated.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
Where the heck are RahXephon and Death Note?

The only shows on that list (that I've seen) that I don't agree with being there are AnoHana, Fate/Zero, Angel Beats, Chihayafuru, and Bunny Drop. Everything else: roger that!

Oh, and I'd shake the hands of and pull in for a big bear hug of all one thousand four hundred nine and six hundred forty-four people who voted for Madoka and One Piece, respectively.

If those aren't two of the most staggeringly mind-boggling examples of why "overrated" shows, I don't know what are.
senpai27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Why is almost all of them are new series? You would thought that Code Geass and Gundam Seed should have been in the list with the mixed reception of their success.

And Daily Lives of High School Boys? That series isn't even finished yet and I don't think there's too much hype about it to be consider overrated.

But as one said the term overrated itself is overrated. Just because you don't like an anime that many people like doesn't mean it's overrated; you just don't like it. It's just a matter of preference and opinion.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
senpai27 wrote:
Why is almost all of them are new series? You would thought that Code Geass and Gundam Seed should have been in the list with the mixed reception of their success.
After a few years things tend to settle down to a more appropriate level of hype. There are exceptions, of course(*cough*Shakespeare*cough*).
Quote:
And Daily Lives of High School Boys? That series isn't even finished yet and I don't think there's too much hype about it to be consider overrated.
Have you checked the Japanese fansites? Without that, there's no way we can be certain about its level of hype.
Quote:
But as one said the term overrated itself is overrated. Just because you don't like an anime that many people like doesn't mean it's overrated; you just don't like it. It's just a matter of preference and opinion.
Exactly - and so are polls.
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
The top 5 is absolutely perfect. glorious.
otakubaybay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised by the amount of underrated anime (Natsume Yuujinchou in particular) on that list, but I suppose that's just from what I've observed in American fandom Neutral
shabaz92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
You know what you won't see on this list? Fullmetal Alchemist franchise anime. Brotherhood is ANN's #2 so it proves it's the real deal, not overrated or at least not Top 50 overrated.
504NOSON2 wrote:
On the article, it was written 'self-selected responses were given for the following 50 series between February 21 and 28'

So whoever created this poll did not include those other series. If they had, I'm sure those series would have gotten some votes as well. Though probably not as many since they're older and as the saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Wow, a lot of unexpected titles on that list. Certainly didn't expect Madoka to take the #1 spot, though I was sure it'd be on there. And Natsume Yujin-cho and Bunny Drop? Huh. I'm not surprised because I don't think they're overrated, I'm surprised because before this I hadn't heard anyone saying those were overrated.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is the most recent big Anime phenomenon, ergo it gets the bulk of the attention, good and bad. K-ON! was the previous franchise that was the most hated, although it is still up there.

(And that's what these lists are; hate lists. Let's not kid ourselves otherwise.)

Natsume Yuujinchou is there because it is popular with Fujoshi. That's the name given to female Otaku, specifically fangirls (to put it mildly). Thanks to the Fujoshi the animated franchise of Natsume Yuujinchou is popular and sells well; all three seasons thus far have sold a touch over 10,000 units per volume (averaged out). The lack of deviation in sales is very unusual, with the franchise being one of the most consistent ever. No doubt that perennial success annoys a lot of Otaku.

So anyway, people who hate Fujoshi will automatically hate on any shows the Fujoshi like. Never mind if the show is actually good or not (and Natsume Yuujinchou is darn good).

Not sure why Usagi Drop is on the list, the show didn't exactly get much hype. It sold alright - enough to probably break even - but nothing particularly special. I guess yet another example of Otaku hating on anything Fujoshi like (I think it's them that like it, although I could be wrong here).

I don't particularly like Fujoshi - their notorious fixation on Yaoi and Yaoi Slash isn't all myth - but you'd be stupid to think that everything they like must be bad and/or undeserving of all the attention.

As an aside, Usagi Drop was my number two-ranked show for 2011. I'll give you three guesses for number one, and the first two don't count.

504NOSON2 wrote:

Oh, and I'd shake the hands of and pull in for a big bear hug of all one thousand four hundred nine and six hundred forty-four people who voted for Madoka and One Piece, respectively.

If those aren't two of the most staggeringly mind-boggling examples of why "overrated" shows, I don't know what are.

Haters gonna hate, trollers (is that even a word?) gonna troll. Hating trolls are going to trollishly hate.

(Trollishly? Come on, even I don't think that's a word. Neither does my Firefox plugin for that matter, LOL.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

The only shows on that list (that I've seen) that I don't agree with being there are AnoHana, Fate/Zero, Angel Beats, Chihayafuru, and Bunny Drop. Everything else: roger that!

That is why Madoka Magica is so great, it generates as much hate as it does love. Kyubey loves you.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Natsume Yuujinchou is there because it is popular with Fujoshi.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Even though Natsume Yuujinchou doesn't pander to yaoi fangirls, I can see easily how fans of that nature could get carried away. The main cast is mostly male.
That's too bad that it's seen as overrated by many, though I've always thought that it is too underrated to be considered overpraised Anime hyper
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

Nor will you find Gurren Lagann. It hasn't weathered quite as well as FMA:B, at #30, but it damn sure deserves to be there.

This is what a Top 50 Anime list looks like: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian

And yet, I would also claim that Brotherhood is highly overrated. It's so painfully generic and an unfocused, overly-cluttered mess with an unnecessarily large cast. There are very few shows that I could honestly say I "hate", and it's one of them. Love for the first series (also overrated, IMO) and the manga probably has a good deal to do with its success, but to think that a show that garbled gets a free pass is really sad.

However, since most of the shows on the list are within the two year mark, those two aren't on it. I imagine both would be if it came out around their time, probably landing somewhere in the bottom half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
V1046-R

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Another name for these 'overrated' polls can be called "shows most people like"

Because any show that is good & popular will also get called overrated by people who prefer something else. When I see a poll with some vey good shows being called "overrated", my first thought is, "overratred by who?". I also take into account people wouldn't be going out of their way to call many of these shows overrated without an article created to fish for these responces in the first place.

I see these kinds of articles as easy page fillers on web sites when they can't think of a real article to write. Very Happy
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi can go eff herself too. I'd probably like this show if they didn't make Haruhi into such an unlikable ****. The second episode enough shows how much I hate this series. So, she flat out steals a computer from that club, and we were supposed to take her side when they were cheating in that game to get it back? Just when you think they finally develop this ****, they derail her like a train in Florida when she spiked Mikuru's drink and started smacking her around. GAH! **** Haruhi, and **** this anime! You people wouldn't know a likable protagonist if it slapped you on the face repeatedly.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Haruhi can go eff herself too. I'd probably like this show if they didn't make Haruhi into such an unlikable ****. The second episode enough shows how much I hate this series. So, she flat out steals a computer from that club, and we were supposed to take her side when they were cheating in that game to get it back? Just when you think they finally develop this ****, they derail her like a train in Florida when she spiked Mikuru's drink and started smacking her around. GAH! **** Haruhi, and **** this anime! You people wouldn't know a likable protagonist if it slapped you on the face repeatedly.

Holy god, someone else who thinks Haruhi is the worst MC in the history of anime?

Jesus, I couldn't even get past the second, I just wanted to repeatedly punch her over and over again for her sheer arrogance, insanity, and other things.

And I hate how she has no personality. She never evolves past "Bitch".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7