• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Overrated Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
That is why Madoka Magica is so great, it generates as much hate as it does love. Kyubey loves you.

So you mean Twilight is great too.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
That is why Madoka Magica is so great, it generates as much hate as it does love. Kyubey loves you.

Nope, Twilight generates much more hate than it does love Twisted Evil
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I have never watched any of the Twilight movies, and don't really feel the need to. The only Twilight related thing I have seen was that one page comic parody of the Twilight series.

That said, I cannot deny the apparent popularity of the series. Is it four or five movies now. It succeeded where the Golden Compass (His Dark Materials) failed, sadly.

A show that generates hatred, has generated interest in it. It has made people use their precious time to comment and/or rail against it. If Twilight has done that, and I think it has, then it has succeeded. Just like Madoka Magica.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
**** Haruhi, and **** this anime! You people wouldn't know a likable protagonist if it slapped you on the face repeatedly.

Holy god, someone else who thinks Haruhi is the worst MC in the history of anime?

You mean that Haruhi was the main character? I thought that it was Kyon... ^_^
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Haters gonna hate, trollers (is that even a word?) gonna troll. Hating trolls are going to trollishly hate.

Troll (noun, verb) \tro-wel\

1. A person who's arguments do not stem from delusion and/or insolent baloney, but others cannot validly refute.

2. A person who criticizes, with sound reason, something which is the object of obsession for many.

3. The act of such behavior.

Examples of TROLL:

• He doesn't like a cartoon that I like, and has a different opinion of it. Therefore, he's a troll.

• His arguments are all substantiated by evidence and reason, and I can't empirically, logically or ethically contend against them. The only argumentative weapons in my arsenal are logical fallacies and lies. Therefore, he's a troll.

Also, it seems as though I've gained a bit of an E-stalker. I don't swing that way, buddy.

TarsTarkas wrote:
That is why Madoka Magica is so great, it generates as much hate as it does love.

Does that logic apply to, say, the original Pokemon series? It has to.

Quote:
Kyubey loves you.

Cool. She can join my harem, called the " Super Sassy Sexy Shoujo Trope Kitties", along with Lunar, Nega and Posi. Give's a whole new meaning to "getting pu...". Nevermind.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
**** Haruhi, and **** this anime! You people wouldn't know a likable protagonist if it slapped you on the face repeatedly.

Holy god, someone else who thinks Haruhi is the worst MC in the history of anime?

You mean that Haruhi was the main character? I thought that it was Kyon... Anime smile

It was Kyon. If Haruhi wasn't Haruhi, there would not have been a need for the supporting cast or Kyon, thus no need even for the show. Haruhi was written to be a force of nature for all intents and purposes, love her or hate her, t'is your choice.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
On a less-hateful note, I'm surprised One Piece got rated higher than Naruto. I guess in Japan, people say that OP ripped off DBZ and that Pirates don't wear straw hats.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Also, it seems as though I've gained a bit of an E-stalker. I don't swing that way, buddy.

Your shamelessness is hilarious, it really is. You say that your baseless and unsubstantiated attacks on various shows are actually arguments supported by evidence and reason? You accuse me of lying by calling you a troll? Oh, do keep going, I love free entertainment.

And if it seems that I'm following you around, it's only because your trolling leaves a trail of fail so wide that I can't help but stumble over your drivel. Virtually every post I see of yours consists of you being a jerk, and I'm not going to just ignore you, I'm going to use up some of my free time and call you out. Which is exactly what you want me to do, you being a troll, so you should be happy. What's the point of trolling if you don't get any bites?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Haruhi can go eff herself too. I'd probably like this show if they didn't make Haruhi into such an unlikable ****. The second episode enough shows how much I hate this series. So, she flat out steals a computer from that club, and we were supposed to take her side when they were cheating in that game to get it back? Just when you think they finally develop this ****, they derail her like a train in Florida when she spiked Mikuru's drink and started smacking her around. GAH! **** Haruhi, and **** this anime! You people wouldn't know a likable protagonist if it slapped you on the face repeatedly.

Jesus, I couldn't even get past the second, I just wanted to repeatedly punch her over and over again for her sheer arrogance, insanity, and other things.

And I hate how she has no personality. She never evolves past "Bitch".

I dropped Haruhi after 3 episodes because I could stand another minute of her. Her actions are not clever, they don't actually say anything about the moe trend (which Haruhi is apart of), she's just an annoying character who is supposed to be hilarious but is simply obnoxious.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
On a less-hateful note, I'm surprised One Piece got rated higher than Naruto. I guess in Japan, people say that OP ripped off DBZ and that Pirates don't wear straw hats.

Lol, Where are you getting this info from?
Do you live in Japan? Do interact with Japanese people on a regular basis? Did you talk to every person that ever purchased WSJ?
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Kyubey loves you.

Cool. She can join my harem, called the " Super Sassy Sexy Shoujo Trope Kitties", along with Lunar, Nega and Posi. Give's a whole new meaning to "getting pu...". Nevermind.
Kyubey's male(or at least referred to as such). And I always thought of him as a ferret.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
You know what you won't see on this list? Fullmetal Alchemist franchise anime. Brotherhood is ANN's #2 so it proves it's the real deal, not overrated or at least not Top 50 overrated.

Nor will you find Gurren Lagann. It hasn't weathered quite as well as FMA:B, at #30, but it damn sure deserves to be there.

This is what a Top 50 Anime list looks like: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian

And yet, I would also claim that Brotherhood is highly overrated. It's so painfully generic and an unfocused, overly-cluttered mess with an unnecessarily large cast. There are very few shows that I could honestly say I "hate", and it's one of them. Love for the first series (also overrated, IMO) and the manga probably has a good deal to do with its success, but to think that a show that garbled gets a free pass is really sad.

However, since most of the shows on the list are within the two year mark, those two aren't on it. I imagine both would be if it came out around their time, probably landing somewhere in the bottom half.

To be fair, there hasn't been any new Melancholy of Haruhi since 2009, unless you count the Disappearance, while FMA:B was still going through July 2010, less than 2 years ago. Furthermore, if you DO count the Disappearance, I believe you also have to count Sacred Star of Milos, which is technically part of FMA:B. Therefore your argument about the 2 years falls flat.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
No Cowboy Bebop? List is stupid.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
K-on is number 3, and Inuyasha isn't listed at all?

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
K-on is number 3, and Inuyasha isn't listed at all?

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

enurtsol wrote:
Actar wrote:

Returning the topic at hand though, I think that overrated, in this context, is more about how much the fans hype up the shows than the actual quality of the show itself.

Think of it kinda like NYK Jeremy Lin-sanity: the whole country overblew it, but doesn't mean he doesn't have mad skillz. Laughing

That and the country completely forgot that it's not impossible for a player to have 12 good games. Ask Flip Murray about his 12-game stretch for the Supersonics next time you visit him on his Burger King shift.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7