• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga Site Now Available Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
selfDemanDeD wrote:
Btw, some chapters are quite expensive. 292 points (equalling to 2.92$) for 24 pages of "Morita-san wa Mukuchi"... why?
I get the feeling that per-chapter purchasing's just there because they thought it had to be. I just buy full volumes, so it's not really a concern for me.
imperialxt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
While I'll give them points for the idea. The rest of the website is absolutely pathetic.

The layout looks atrocious, the colours don't work together at all. The website layout in general reminds me of something I would've done in highschool when I had no common sense.

The read itself is nice and functional minus the fact that they require you to go the left to read the next page, I can understand the thought behind this, but I myself prefer going to the next page on the right to continue reading, If they wont make this as a default, they should at least make it an option. The availability of series is rather poor. Sure you have Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. All of which you either only have 1 chapter of, or if you have more are still at least 300 chapters behind where the manga is currently at.

Really for this to work properly, they need to become essentially the Crunchy Roll of manga.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
I tried signing up but I don't live in North America...it's hard to support the industry when NA gets all the goodies while and Europe has the scraps, and I was willing to pay the $25 subscription.

I can't even find Great Teacher Onizuka R2 DVDs or FMA Brotherhood on Blu-ray except obviously the first 3 volumes. That's how awful it is for anime and manga in Europe
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I tried signing up but I don't live in North America...

I signed up but left the country selection blank. Only problem is that the site will keep bugging you to update info. Eventually I expect the country selection to reflect the worldwide status.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Y'know what this means, right? This only means, let the excuses challenge begin! Laughing

The more fun challenge would to see which series fans can get rights to their series to go global first, by filling up the feedbox channel with "I live in Country X, and I would buy Series Y if it was allowed to be sold in my country."

You don't need to be a paid member to use the feedback tab: free members can send in feedback as well.
Rij

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I signed up on JManga today, mainly to read Hyakusho Kizoku but there are others I'll be buying later.

I'm in Finland. I went through most of the manga and found nine titles that weren't available for me. I'd be interested in knowing if the same titles are blocked elsewhere outside of North America. So could someone from UK or wherever check and share?

Blocked titles in alphabetical order:

Cousin
King's Moon - the Life of Akechi Mitsuhide
Kodoku no Gourmet
Love Beyond Time
Love My Life
Manga Science
Moritasan wa Mukuchi
Poor Poor Lips
Recorder and Randsell
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Rij wrote:
I signed up on JManga today, mainly to read Hyakusho Kizoku but there are others I'll be buying later.

I'm in Finland. I went through most of the manga and found nine titles that weren't available for me. I'd be interested in knowing if the same titles are blocked elsewhere outside of North America. So could someone from UK or wherever check and share?

Blocked titles in alphabetical order:

Cousin
King's Moon - the Life of Akechi Mitsuhide
Kodoku no Gourmet
Love Beyond Time
Love My Life
Manga Science
Moritasan wa Mukuchi
Poor Poor Lips
Recorder and Randsell

Man, 3 out of 4 titles at the head of my "buy" list ~ no wonder the yuri fans at Okazu are unhappy!

Edit: Erica Friedman over at Okazu has passed on that JManga has said they are working on getting those embargoes lifted.

One thing that can help them make their case is if people interested in the titles sign up as free members, and leave a Feedback on the Feedback tab that they live in Country X and would buy Series Y if it was available in their country.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Morita-san wa Mukuchi not being available in the UK makes me sad...

Yesterday, Erica Friedman ( @Yuricon on twitter) had a bit of good news on that:
Quote:
JManga tells us that at Takeshobo has approved of Global access to all their manga on JManga, including Morita-san ha Mukuchi and POOR POOR LIPS!

These and other titles went go at 5PM Japan Time. Fly and read goofy 4-koma manga with Yuri!

Polycell wrote:
selfDemanDeD wrote:
Btw, some chapters are quite expensive. 292 points (equalling to 2.92$) for 24 pages of "Morita-san wa Mukuchi"... why?
I get the feeling that per-chapter purchasing's just there because they thought it had to be. I just buy full volumes, so it's not really a concern for me.

All of the volumes were quite expensive at launch, but JManga was able to talk the publishers down to something more like the $5/volume price point that Viz Media, for example, has on most of their Nook Comics.

However, they did that on the pretense of a "sale" on the volumes, and the chapter prices were never adjusted. The way they sell the "volumes" is as a set of chapters, but nobody who recognizes that, eg, 499 is less than three times 299 would every actually buy a chapter at a time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2