• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Haganai, Mayo Chiki! Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Is Seven Seas even relevant anymore?

As long as they're releasing Gunslinger Girl, they'll always be relevant to me.

For these titles, I'd prefer the light novels, but ah well.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I'll be buying those two.

Now, I'll have to stop reading those two online in the form of scan-lation.
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
population_tire wrote:

As long as they're releasing Gunslinger Girl, they'll always be relevant to me.

Word on that. I also find their translations/adaptations among the best in the business. Plus there's their no-censorship policy. I'm still a little amazed (though happily so) that they (a) publish Dance in the Vampire Bund unedited, (b) don't even shrink-wrap the thing, and (c) apparently sell it like hotcakes, to judge from the bestseller lists I've seen.

And notably, the sky doesn't fall. I'd say that not only is Seven Seas relevant, they could teach the likes of Viz a lot about respecting and defending the creative integrity of the manga they publish.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Relevant to what, or to whom?
They are still publishing manga, obviously.
They are publishing at least three titles that I am currently collecting. Their catalog contains several others that I have completed.
Even if* they are getting titles that the bigger publishers do not want I think that they are still very relevant in the North American manga market.

*I say "if" because I do not know, but I have seen people make that claim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
LIGHT NOVELS WHERE? Crying or Very sad

I am pretty sure that Adam Arnold has said that Seven Seas does not plan on publishing any more light novels.
But even if that is true it would not stop another publisher from getting the license.

Is anybody other than Yen Press publishing any light novels in North America right now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

I am pretty sure that Adam Arnold has said that Seven Seas does not plan on publishing any more light novels.
But even if that is true it would not stop another publisher from getting the license.

Is anybody other than Yen Press publishing any light novels in North America right now?

i didn't even know any where being released in the first place. as much as pains me to say this i think light novels have a chance here but yen press or seven seas need to strike deal with amazon or Barnes/nobles for digital only. I am unsure of the use of the fan-translations out there for in mayo chiki's light novels or even sereis like index, oreimo etc but they could strike a deal with the fan-trans and get something going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Dark Horse has Vampire Hunter D. I think that's pretty much it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

i didn't even know any where being released in the first place. as much as pains me to say this i think light novels have a chance here but yen press or seven seas need to strike deal with amazon or Barnes/nobles for digital only. I am unsure of the use of the fan-translations out there for in mayo chiki's light novels or even sereis like index, oreimo etc but they could strike a deal with the fan-trans and get something going.

I think that would be a good idea to get LN on tablet PC or on Kindle and Nook. If LN started coming out this way I would be tempted to get a Kindle or a Nook since I do have some interest in reading Light Novels.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I want the Mayo Chiki! manga more than the other one tbh as the final anime episode did not fit my taste or end it in a good way. Mm, inb4 season 2.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Touma wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

i didn't even know any where being released in the first place. as much as pains me to say this i think light novels have a chance here but yen press or seven seas need to strike deal with amazon or Barnes/nobles for digital only.

It'd be mighty expensive, given the higher cost to translate a novel but with fewer buyers. Most likely the price would be too high for people to pay for a digital DRM file.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
While I might have purchased the light novels sight-unseen, I'll have to flip through a volume or two of each manga before I decide whether or not they're worth purchasing. I haven't (yet) seen any of either anime that's based upon the same source material, so I know almost nothing about them...

Just where does the title "Haganai" come from? Usually, the shorthand titles (seem to) just take a few syllables from the full title of the anime/manga/LN, but this one doesn't... Or is that spoiler material?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Just where does the title "Haganai" come from? Usually, the shorthand titles (seem to) just take a few syllables from the full title of the anime/manga/LN, but this one doesn't... Or is that spoiler material?

Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai = Haganai

(In japan, the kana for "ha" is used for the particle "wa", usually pronounced "wa" in that situation)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai

It's an incredibly bizarre way to do it, like shortening a title to "The-are-no", but apparently the original author chose it. I guess the author didn't like BokuTomo or Bokunai or whatever other ways it would have typically been shortened to if left to the fans.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Viz has a novel line dedicated to Japanese novels, light and otherwise.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Viz has a novel line dedicated to Japanese novels, light and otherwise.

I had not been aware of that. Thanks.

It looks like they have released only six books in the past year, and only one so far this year, but at least they are releasing something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3