• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Head: No Plans for 2009 Gundam TV Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
Hm, so I wonder if this means that 00 is a two season series? As of midway through the second season, it seems to me that they could easily go for a third in 2010, but then again that's how I felt about Code Geass.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
I guess even they're feeling the pinch of the shit-conomy.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Hm, so I wonder if this means that 00 is a two season series? As of midway through the second season, it seems to me that they could easily go for a third in 2010, but then again that's how I felt about Code Geass.
It was always a two-part series (and was initially announced as such). There are rumours (a 2ch poster claims to be a member of the production staff, and his/her rambling predictions have been pretty accurate so far. The director also made comments that hint at this in a recent article) of a follow-up movie, but no official announcement as of yet.

The 'no TV series' announcement doesn't preclude a movie or OVA announcement.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'd say a follow-up movie for Gundam 00 is a pretty good bet, nearing a sure thing. Almost every longer successful Gundam series has had a movie or OVA of some sort, whether compilation or continuation, and Gundam 00 has been one of the most successful Gundams in recent history sales wise.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
What they do with Gundam 00 in the future depends a lot on how it ends. If it ends in a manner that allows it and the show is popular enough to merit it, then they might do a sequel series at some point, but outside of the Universal Century timeline, I believe that Gundam Seed is the only gundam series to get a full-blown sequel series, so the likelihood of that happening with Gundam 00 is likely rather low. And even if they did make such a series, it would likely be at least a year or two before we saw it.

A follow-up like a movie or a short OVA is far more likely, and I'm willing to bet that we'll see at least that much eventually, but even that would probably show up towards the end of this year at the earliest, if not next year.

We'll get another full-blown gundam series eventually, and we'll probably get more Gundam 00 in some form or another eventually as well, but they're finishing up a major gundam series right now, so I think that it's perfectly natural for there to be a bit of a wait before we get another major one. They just didn't time things very well if they really wanted a major gundam series to come out on gundam's 30th anniversary.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
It was always a two-part series (and was initially announced as such).

Oh, alright. I haven't read anything involving the production staff apart from one of the Director interviews after season one.

samuelp wrote:
I'd say a follow-up movie for Gundam 00 is a pretty good bet, nearing a sure thing. Almost every longer successful Gundam series has had a movie or OVA of some sort, whether compilation or continuation, and Gundam 00 has been one of the most successful Gundams in recent history sales wise.

Yeah, that's true I suppose. Especially considering all the follow-ups Seed got.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Wait...what? They already announced Gundam 0081 (or whatever it will called eventually). I guess this is confirmation that it will indeed be just an OVA and not a new series? I'm not sure if that is good news or not.

Everyone I know was holding out hope that Gundam 0081 was one prong in a 30th anniversary that would include a new UC TV series as well, or a new movie. Looks like those hopes are now dead.

Meh
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
A statue that won't even last out a year..., a convention, a concert and an ova series (Gundam 0081), compared to previous anniversaries, this is somewhat MEH....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Wtf I thought 0081 was going to be a fullblown tv series and it might not even air this year?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
It's fine by me. I like Gundam quite a bit, but I think moderation is a good thing. Not having a new series immediately is probably for the best.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
isn't there also supposed to be a gundam seed feature film being produced that takes place some time after destiny? that would also qualify as 'not a tv series'.
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hell, from what's being said, we don't even know if this is an OVA yet. It could be the manga series that they mention Kadokawa running. If it is, that's pretty lame... Then again, the whole concept behind a series set in 0081 was pretty lame to begin with.

Bandai really came up short here...
Jaice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
i hope they dont continue on with 00 after this season ends. 00 has been kind of a disappointment. wish they would have pushed the story more than the visuals a-la turn-a gundam and 8th ms team.

wish they would get back to the UC universe. i want to see some new age zeon.
vincent iii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's fine by me. I like Gundam quite a bit, but I think moderation is a good thing. Not having a new series immediately is probably for the best.

Agreed. We don't need another Gundam Burn-out, like what happened with Gundam X.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Hell, from what's being said, we don't even know if this is an OVA yet. It could be the manga series that they mention Kadokawa running. If it is, that's pretty lame... Then again, the whole concept behind a series set in 0081 was pretty lame to begin with.

Bandai really came up short here...

The concept art for 0081 is a little bit too ambitious for a Manga. That is my opinion anyway. It certainly is odd that he wouldn't mention 0081 though....I hope this is just a mistranslation or that he simply forgot to mention it.

I'll agree that setting a show in 0081 is hardly as ambitious as setting one in...say... the early days of the one year war, or shortly before it, but an OVA is better than no OVA....

Honestly I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Zeta movies with new animation, except for 0079. Apparently the current economic climate has killed any hope of something that ambitious being done.

I can't believe they aren't even releasing a new Gundam game for the anniversary...meh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4