• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece to Re-Air in 'High-Resolution Special Edition'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Interesting... Now if they cut out the filler they could call it One Piece Kai! I'm joking but still, it would be interesting to see the difference in quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
So it's more like Naruto: Shounen Hen and Soul Eater: Repeat Show.
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Interesting... Now if they cut out the filler they could call it One Piece Kai! I'm joking but still, it would be interesting to see the difference in quality.

I would so love that. thats the only thing i don't like about one piece and thats the filler.
Buster D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
The eps until the end of the Skypiea arc were all digital 4:3 SD, and the first 50 or so eps likely only exist on composite D2 video tape (according to the Toei DVD page, a show from around the same time suffers that fate: http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/support/note.html#DoremiQ4), so I wouldn't count on this looking too good. It might be a sign that One Piece is finally coming to Blu-ray in Japan, though.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

I would so love that. thats the only thing i don't like about one piece and thats the filler.

But in 500+ Episodes One Piece only has about 50 Episodes of filler so its barely noticeable. The logest run of filler occurs for only 14 episodes.

Compare that with Bleach's 160 episodes of filler and counting or Naruto's 60+ filler in only 220 episodes.

One Piece doesnt need such a version of the show like DB Kai. Its essentially Filler Arc Free. But for those 14 episodes.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

But in 500+ Episodes One Piece only has about 50 Episodes of filler so its barely noticeable. The logest run of filler occurs for only 14 episodes.

Compare that with Bleach's 160 episodes of filler and counting or Naruto's 60+ filler in only 220 episodes.

One Piece doesnt need such a version of the show like DB Kai. Its essentially Filler Arc Free. But for those 14 episodes.

The problem is you're using the word 'filler' in the way people often misuse to mean 'anything not in the manga', which is incorrect. Filler is anything that is there to take up space and pad things out and is ultimately pointless (i.e. skip-able. You can't exactly skip some of the anime-exclusive content in Naruto or you'll miss out on important things, for example. This is not even touching on shows that diverge from the manga like Soul Eater or Fullmetal Alchemist)

One Piece is similar to DBZ in which the 'filler' is usually characters standing around, or the episode moves at a snails pace, or long recaps/openings/ending themes that can take up like half the episode, or whatever. Basically when the pacing slows down to "1 chapter = 1 episode" and it's mostly padding and time wasting, then that's also filler. That's what Dragonball Kai did; it took a lot of that 'dead air' as they call it in the business and removed it, so no 5 minute stare-downs between Goku and Freeza every episode and what have you; even if it was in the manga, it was still filler.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
But that's the thing. The 1 chapter = 1 episode pace actually works for One Piece because stuff actually happens in one chapter. For other shows they need to put 2, 3, or even 4 chapters of content in per episode, but that's because there just isn't a lot of content in those chapters. There is no comically long 'Namek' moment in One Piece of characters just standing around, and fights in OP are rather short when compared to other long-running shounen.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this high resolution special edition as it means that the TV series maybe finally is getting a BluRay relesae.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Well...anyone want to try a US version one last time?

Nah.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, hopefully this will look decent enough for FUNimation, Manga and Madman to pick up and put out in English on Blu-Ray.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope to gawd if it gets a Blu-ray release in Japan after this, they don't use Q-Tec. Look what happened to FLCL and Shakugan no Shana.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1906418&postcount=165
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=87427
*Barfs*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Geoffrey88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I would so love that
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

One Piece may not have filler arcs but the early arcs are dragged out ad nauseum just like how DBZ was, if not worse. That's the real brilliance of the Kai treatment. Not just dropping filler arcs, but editing things down make the story move at a decent pace without feeling rushed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
One Piece may not have filler arcs but the early arcs are dragged out ad nauseum just like how DBZ was, if not worse.

Wrong. There is no "Namek will explode in 30 seconds" as they continue fighting for 20 more episodes. If there is, then point it out.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
One Piece may not have filler arcs but the early arcs are dragged out ad nauseum just like how DBZ was, if not worse.

Wrong. There is no "Namek will explode in 30 seconds" as they continue fighting for 20 more episodes. If there is, then point it out.

Fine, it's not worse... it's just dragged out ad nauseum almost as bad as DBZ. Happy now?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I ever felt was overly dragged out was the Sanji/Don Kreig arc. The majority of that part was Don Kreig sitting on his butt watching minions getting pulverized by Sanji and Luffy with Sanji's backstory mixed in. I liked Usopps arc and that was nine episodes, and even though Sanji's was only two more episodes longer, it felt like it was 10 episodes longer.

There were also parts in Arlong and Alabasta that felt unnecessary, but I liked them a lot overall, so it's easy to look past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2