• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FCC uses Doraemon on Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
I find this highly funny that Detective Conan can be changed to Case Closed and we can't have a little common sense in the fact that DC and Conan the fur underwear wearing barbarian are two different things, yet something like Doreamon and Broadband, where the image is uncanny and similar despite the NUMEROUS posts here and elsewhere is dismissed by some as "garbage" and there is no crime.

Nice, Real F***ing Nice.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I find this highly funny that Detective Conan can be changed to Case Closed and we can't have a little common sense in the fact that DC and Conan the fur underwear wearing barbarian are two different things, yet something like Doreamon and Broadband, where the image is uncanny and similar despite the NUMEROUS posts here and elsewhere is dismissed by some as "garbage" and there is no crime.

Nice, Real F***ing Nice.

Except "Conan" was long established, originally written by Robert E Howard during the Great Depression (contemporary of HP Lovecraft). Hey, I think the name change is stupid too, but the US distributor probably thought it would be easier to change than to fight. Considering the big names of L. Sprague de Camp, Marvel Comics, Arnold Schwartzenegger etc. attached to this character, they're probably wise.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I find this highly funny that Detective Conan can be changed to Case Closed and we can't have a little common sense in the fact that DC and Conan the fur underwear wearing barbarian are two different things

They're both work's of fiction. Whatsmore, they're both comics (although Conan The Barbarian wasn't originally a comic book, it was adapted into one).

This is very important because the way trademark law works.

Marvel could have a trademark on "Conan" referring to comics.

This would permit any other company to have a restaurant called Conan (provided there isn't another trademark on that), but no company could have a comic book named Conan or something remotely similar.

Currently Conan Properties International and Conan Sales Co. have the term Conan trademarked in the following areas:

-computer game software; video game software; computer game programs; video game programs
    -Comic books, magazines and books featuring stories in illustrated form, novels, posters, iron-transfers made of paper, trading cards, stickers, and stationery
    -pre-recorded phonographs records, compact discs, audio tapes and video tapes feaeturing narration, music and other recorded matter for action adventure dramatic presentations
    entertainment in the nature of ongoing television adventure programs
    -T-Shirts
    -Articulated Figures-Namely, Dolls with Related Accessories
    -BUBBLE GUM CARDS AND STICKERS

Other companies have Conan trademarks in other fields, there's a couple electronique related trademarks that have nothing to do with Conan the Barbarian.

The point is, there was a clear danger for FUNimation and everyone to use the name "Conan" to refer to comic books, television shows or PC/Console games in the United States.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8