• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit Settled Between 4Kids, ADK, TV Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Good Point. But they've dodged so many bullets that it feels they have the devil's luck on their side that it's starting to get ridiculous , cause they were massively desperate to keep the license for the series.

It feels like the industry is in some kinda Twilight Zone of some kind , and it's DEFINITELY NOT a good thing.

I really don't want to go to this, but one big reason why 4Kids still lives is pretty frickin' simple.

Americans are idiots.

We cringe at the sight of an exposed nipple. We get scared at two men kissing each other. We are xenophobic in ways that would make the Japanese look tolerant. We believe in insane conspiracy theories. We think everything is out to get us. We sue each other over LETTERS. We abuse Freedom of Speech in ways the founding fathers would never dream about and don't suffer the consequences.

And yet we somehow still survive that would make Charles Darwin reevaluate his Theories of Evolution.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news Smile, I'm so happy 4Kids is going to continue to English Dub both Tai-Chi Chasers and Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXaL Smile!
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
I really don't want to go to this, but one big reason why 4Kids still lives is pretty frickin' simple.

Americans are idiots.

We cringe at the sight of an exposed nipple. We get scared at two men kissing each other. We are xenophobic in ways that would make the Japanese look tolerant. We believe in insane conspiracy theories. We think everything is out to get us. We sue each other over LETTERS. We abuse Freedom of Speech in ways the founding fathers would never dream about and don't suffer the consequences.

And yet we somehow still survive that would make Charles Darwin reevaluate his Theories of Evolution.

Well, maybe America needs to change, or it will not thrive in the modern world. People, species, countries, and societies that refuse to change their attitudes and views tend to die out, as is shown with the principles of Darwinism. But then the question is how to change society. You do that through educating the masses and exposing them to new things.

Also, I think Darwin's theories of evolution are mostly accurate, and that the only reason America is surviving is because America still has many people who promote change, education, and stepping outside familiar territory. The problem comes from the people who oppose progress and development. These people luckily are not the majority, but they are large enough to have an apparent influence on our culture/society.

However, 4kids still screws the rules of Darwinism, something that is still irritates my mind
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:

Well, maybe America needs to change, or it will not thrive in the modern world. People, species, countries, and societies that refuse to change their attitudes and views tend to die out, as is shown with the principles of Darwinism. But then the question is how to change society. You do that through educating the masses and exposing them to new things.

Also, I think Darwin's theories of evolution are mostly accurate, and that the only reason America is surviving is because America still has many people who promote change, education, and stepping outside familiar territory. The problem comes from the people who oppose progress and development. These people luckily are not the majority, but they are large enough to have an apparent influence on our culture/society.

Heh, homogeneous, very traditional Japan would actually be more resistant to changes. Heck, the Japanese Supreme Court just ruled schools requiring teachers and students to sing the national anthem "Kimigayo" is constitutional. Yeah, freedom of speech or non-speech our ass. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:

However, 4kids still screws the rules of Darwinism, something that is still irritates my mind
Extinction doesn't happen over night, even Darwin knew that. When the asteroid hit the planet 65 million years ago it still took several years for the all the big giant dinosaurs to finally snuff it. I consider this as just a delay of the inevitable. They either evolve for survival, or die.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Good Point. But they've dodged so many bullets that it feels they have the devil's luck on their side that it's starting to get ridiculous , cause they were massively desperate to keep the license for the series.

It feels like the industry is in some kinda Twilight Zone of some kind , and it's DEFINITELY NOT a good thing.

Americans are idiots.

Evolution actually has nothing to do with what you described, Social Darwinism does, but SD is a crock of racist bullshit and I'm pretty sure you aren't racist.

Also, the Japanese are way more xenophobic than we will ever be. Ever seen how 2chan blames EVERYTHING on Koreans? Ever notice how Japan is like 97% Japanese, with extremely strict immigration laws? That's because they went them damn foreigners out. Japan (and East Asia in general) is ridiculously xenophobic at worst.

The grass is always greener at the other side of the pond.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
kaiser11492 wrote:

Heh, homogeneous, very traditional Japan would actually be more resistant to changes. Heck, the Japanese Supreme Court just ruled schools requiring teachers and students to sing the national anthem "Kimigayo" is constitutional. Yeah, freedom of speech or non-speech our ass. Laughing

Then there's that crappy law the japaneese gov't put out a while back which caused the creator of Aki Sora which was my fav series to cancel the series.

Definitely freedom of speech my eye.

i would expect that BS and i mean complete BS to happen to our own govt, but sure as hell not theirs.

and those 4kids is despised all around, it aint all their fault. they had to abide by the accursed FCC's rules & regulations as well as parental advocates to " remove TV violence " from children's view.

But it sure as hell dont get them off the hook for their god forsaken edits. Especially when others that make anime into semi kids shows do theirs well and put them to shame beyond words.

One example is how Viz Media did with it's edits with Naruto, Blue Dragon ( which i liked a lot ) and especially MAR & Gatch Bell ( Zatch Bell ) that got the most deep edits but were preety understandable & it didn't made the series suck.

Hopefully for the industry's sake, 4kids either have to go belly under if things dont change ,

or have to do some kind of coup de tat and remove the monster known as Alfred H Kahn and start taking notes from viz media's playbook on how anime should be used if youe gonna promote it to the younger demograph ( alongs as they are willing to make an UNCUT version )

or just stop licensing anime altogether which i think would be the best for everyone BUT I highly doubt that would happen.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

As for Chaotic, I was never a fan, and was too old at that point to know any who were. I watched a couple episodes. It seemed like a knock-off of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! (especially YGO). I know nothing about that series' popularity. Although I can tell you that the card game was created by a Danish company.

well Chaotic grew on me during the Marillian Invasion, unfortunately the stupidity of 4kids ended any potential for that franchise to grow and develop on it's own. I doubt any american company would rescue it now, though i thought disney would.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
All of the good companies like Geneon & CPM goes six feet under , yet some how, some way, god forsaken awful companies like 4kids and Nelvana still breathe by an inch

Nelvana's doing decently. They've only ever licensed 3 anime titles (only one of which could be considered "good", and another was a co-production), and have created some great animated series over the years. They also market Fairly Odd Parents outside of America. Yes, their dub of CCS sucked, but it was actually KidsWB that edited the hell out of it (Nelvana actually dubbed all 70 episodes, although it was still edited, just not AS edited. Hey, it's still better than KidsWB, and at least we got an uncut subtitled release from Geneon, and bilingual releases of the two movies, one of which had a GREAT faithful dub). Razz

well duh their dubs of CCS sucks as hell. Which was why they stuck to kids series like Bakguan & Beyblade. and are still hated as much as 4kids in the early 2000's.

Sure it was great that Geneon did an uncut version but only a sub only version which left us dub purisuits out in the cold. the only good thing was they Bang Zoom did the movies which was the series saving grace.

Though you did make a solid argument about WB editing the living hell out of the series, but their also to blame too.

Which was the main reason why a lot AND I MEAN A CRAPLOAD AMOUNT of people including me cried bloody murder when Naruto Shippuden was about to be demolished by Disney X D cause we all knew it will be dejavu all over again just like what nelvana did with CCS.

Luckily it's no longer showing on X D and i hope for good cause they edits they will have to do for the hunt for Itachi arc & Pain Invasion arc already have a majority of us cringing with fear on how bad it will be.

So it's like I said , Even though they have did a 180 with Heavy Metal Beyblade , ( like keeping the original names of the chracters ) their reputation is still the main reason to this day that their the 2nd most hated company in the anime community with the horror that is 4lods number 1 thanks to their destruction of CSS , and it was the same thing for 4kids when the entire otaku community saw what they did with One Piece and the way how they dodged another bullet is beyond comprehension
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
well duh their dubs of CCS sucks as hell.

Wait...Wha?

I must've stepped into an alternate world because I remember enjoying the Carcaptors dub. Hell, I still enjoy it. Sure, it's edited as all hell but that was because it was airing on a kid's block and was being marketed towards kids and promoted the show having Syaoran as the lead.

If you really want to go towards terrible adaptions, Digimon Tamers. They ended up rewriting Rika's entire character and changing quite a bit of her actions towards others, most notably in the form of her dialogue as in the original, she never flung insults and what have you.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
well duh their dubs of CCS sucks as hell. Which was why they stuck to kids series like Bakguan & Beyblade. and are still hated as much as 4kids in the early 2000's.

As cut up and butchered as Bakugan and Beyblade's dubs are, I at least have to give them props for keeping most of the Japanese names the same, something 4Kids would never do for Pocket Monsters or Yu-Gi-Oh. In Bakugan's case, they actually went overboard and turned an American girl into a Japanese girl by giving her a Japanese name. Almost like they were being apologetic and overcompensating for the whole ordeal. Which is a shame since her gratuitous and foul Engrish dialog was one of her most endearing qualities.

Though I guess the names are evened out with Beyblade having my pick for worst dub voices ever.. Ginga's dub voice literally hurts my ears listening to it, and he's not the only one.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I must've stepped into an alternate world because I remember enjoying the Carcaptors dub

Use the power of the internet and step into reality beyond your personal opinion. No, I am not implying your opinion is wrong just pointing out the general reception of that dub.

Welcome to reality.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

I believe most of the hatred for the dub came not from the performance of the voice actors/actresses, but rather that it was a scrambled series order and incomplete. The company, Pioneer at the time, tried to turn the show into a male demographic rather than the intended female demographic.

As for how United States's society, of course many things are edited for the intended demograph. But, that's the exact problem, it is stereotyping who the audience is going to be and expecting said audience (or their parents) to buy. But, from time to time, a series will be popular to the non-intended demograph audience more than its intended audience.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Extinction doesn't happen over night, even Darwin knew that. When the asteroid hit the planet 65 million years ago it still took several years for the all the big giant dinosaurs to finally snuff it. I consider this as just a delay of the inevitable. They either evolve for survival, or die.

I understand that things don't happen over night. But 4kids has been this deep in financial trouble for few years, yet they still live. my question is not if it's going to occur, but when is it going to occur. in my opinion, 4kids should've been shut down by now.

Change46 wrote:
Evolution actually has nothing to do with what you described, Social Darwinism does, but SD is a crock of racist bullshit and I'm pretty sure you aren't racist.

Also, the Japanese are way more xenophobic than we will ever be. Ever seen how 2chan blames EVERYTHING on Koreans? Ever notice how Japan is like 97% Japanese, with extremely strict immigration laws? That's because they went them damn foreigners out. Japan (and East Asia in general) is ridiculously xenophobic at worst.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. When I say Darwinism, I meant Social Darwinism, which I know was not created by Charles Darwin (Social Darwinism is credited to people like Herbert Spencer and Thomas Malthus)

I know Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world. I just find it ironically funny how Japan is WAY more conservative and traditional than the US, yet Japan is so loose with what they can show.

Mune wrote:
As for how United States's society, of course many things are edited for the intended demograph. But, that's the exact problem, it is stereotyping who the audience is going to be and expecting said audience (or their parents) to buy. But, from time to time, a series will be popular to the non-intended demograph audience more than its intended audience.

BINGO. That's the problem 4kids seems to not get. 4kids is promoting the outdated, flawed idea that anime must be for young kids. what makes it flawed is that 4kids and people who think like them think anime=young kids. however, they establish this concept on no logical basis. besides, who made them the ultimate deciders of who the audience demographic is? in my opinion, that right is reserved for the original creator(s). as was said before, this is stereotyping, and i feel that because people like anime, other people are going to assume anime-watchers like a kiddy cartoon, when in fact it is not.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

or have to do some kind of coup de tat and remove the monster known as Alfred H Kahn

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-11/4kids-chairman-ceo-alfred-r-kahn-retires

jr0904 wrote:

or just stop licensing anime altogether which i think would be the best for everyone BUT I highly doubt that would happen.

They pretty much did, save for continuing Yugi-Oh.

Mune wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I believe most of the hatred for the dub came not from the performance of the voice actors/actresses, but rather that it was a scrambled series order and incomplete. The company, Pioneer at the time, tried to turn the show into a male demographic rather than the intended female demographic.

That's WB and Nelvana, not Pioneer. WB wanted a boy-show, so Nelvana accommodated them. IIRC, Nelvana kept the show girl-centric in Canada.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world. I just find it ironically funny how Japan is WAY more conservative and traditional than the US, yet Japan is so loose with what they can show.

That's mainly because they didn't have a religion choking them constantly.

We in the west tend to associate conservatism with censoring of "obscene" things but that's only because we're used to the religious conservative movements.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That's WB and Nelvana, not Pioneer. WB wanted a boy-show, so Nelvana accommodated them. IIRC, Nelvana kept the show girl-centric in Canada.

Yes, the version of Cardcaptors that aired in the US is an extremely truncated edit of Nelvana's existing dub. The real dub aired in Canada, and a bunch of European countries and had considerably less edits, and actually fully dubbed the show.

Supposedly the same is happening once again with Beyblade Metal Masters. I've been told CN in the US, and abroad are getting edited versions compared to what's airing in Canada...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7