• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tomomi Mochizuki on House of Five Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwdone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The only time I watch a stream is when it's not available for purchase. [u]House of Five Leaves[/u] was actually the first full streaming anime I watched. I wrote and promised if it came out I would purchase the series. I'm SO glad to have a kick a** hard copy of what I consider to be a really good and different anime.
Thanks for the interview and some insight from the inside!!
gwdone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
Man, all of you folks getting your boxes already is killing me! I only order straight from NISA because they give nice extras with their boxes which I want. Rightstuf always sends stuff out so early. Ugh.... I wish NISA would reward their customers with this type of early shipping.

Oh, but you get some extras for waiting on your copy. I wish I would have known about the Exclusive Bonus Item: Maple Leaf That is a very original looking bonus item. And ... Well,, I want it! Sad
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
formerroadie1 wrote:
Man, all of you folks getting your boxes already is killing me! I only order straight from NISA because they give nice extras with their boxes which I want. Rightstuf always sends stuff out so early. Ugh.... I wish NISA would reward their customers with this type of early shipping.

Oh, but you get some extras for waiting on your copy. I wish I would have known about the Exclusive Bonus Item: Maple Leaf That is a very original looking bonus item. And ... Well,, I want it! Sad

Oh totally. If there weren't extras, I would order from Rightstuf Smile
lem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
just finished my first view of my NISA set (TRSI rocks!). I was hungry for an anime title that would taste good to this old grouch and I certainly found it in House of Five Leaves Very Happy

Quote:
I strove for realism; I wanted to make a period drama that looked and felt like the real thing. I wanted the viewers to experience the atmosphere of that exact time period. As I mentioned in the previous answer, the muted color scheme contributed to that. In terms of music, I used traditional Japanese string instruments and added in piano tracks to give it both a modern and Japanese feel.

They succeeded, it has the feel of an older black and white movie or what Zatoichi could look like if it was to ever be animated. As a fan of Natsume Ono's manga, experiencing it with the music they chose for it was also a pleasant surprise. I liked the mixture, from the modern pop flavored OP & ED to the traditional Koto and gentle piano througout.

Manglobe also did an excellent job with the animation production. Minor details, like showing daylight move across a character's back as they exit Ume's place, are the kind of subtle visual touches that made for a good viewing. That, and of course the way Yaichi's role is played out. This is one of my new favorites. So glad I bought it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
And it is not expression of certain character as author would "see" him/her, it is just set up stylistic rule how to draw all characters.

The whole anime tends to have a morose sort of feeling to it, and the low mouths do make characters look sort of morose (i.e. long in the face). You could potentially see it as an artistic characterisation not of an individual character but of humanity in general within a particular location and setting. (Alternately, the mangaka may just be bad at positioning mouths). The style in general was a good fit for the anime, imho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2