• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gonna Make a Sentimental Journey

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rektagunn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
and here I was looking for a legit Japanese copy of Meikyu Monagatari at cdjapan......

thank you ADV!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
...explain why rhyming “Easy Breezy” and “Japanesey” in a song is a Hell-worthy trespass, even for Utada Hikaru.

It's gruesome, sure, but hardly original. It's a paraphrase of the expression "easy-peasy japanesy", which is (I believe) originally British, and probably predates WWII. Since it had become somewhat dated and vaudevillian in sound, it had more or less fallen out of use by the 1980s and early 1990s.

I remember my grade-school classmates occasionally saying "easy peasy Japanesey" to each other, right around the end of the 80's.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

I remember my grade-school classmates occasionally saying "easy peasy Japanesey" to each other, right around the end of the 80's.

"Easy peasy Japanesey" is one thing. But the lyrics in Hikaru's song are actually, "You're easy breezy and I'm Japanesey." I find that rather distasteful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2