• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arrietty Film Now Highest-Grossing Ghibli Film in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I also read somewhere that there promotion was a major issue that didn't go as well it hoped.

Yugioh is a niche kids' franchise about kids dueling with playing cards. Aside from the fact that at its peak it was nowhere near Pokemon's popularity, it never had much hope of drawing much more than the Yugioh hardcore kids. The most successful animated movies have some crossover appeal.

Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't do worse.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

I also read somewhere that there promotion was a major issue that didn't go as well it hoped.

Yugioh is a niche kids' franchise about kids dueling with playing cards. Aside from the fact that at its peak it was nowhere near Pokemon's popularity, it never had much hope of drawing much more than the Yugioh hardcore kids. The most successful animated movies have some crossover appeal.

actually it's child cards game with rules so complex only adults can play it...lol but yeah I went to see the yu-gi-oh movie in theaters with some friends and got a lot of cheap laughs out of it. I will still say this kabia flying in blue eyes jet like a boss was pretty damn awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Well, if I was to compare the Yugioh Movie with the Pokemon: The First Movie, I would definitely choose the latter. I was actually a big fan of a the original series that ran during my middle school days. Wasn't much of a fan for GX. I gave Yugioh 5d's a try and it was pretty epic. The current Yugioh Zexal...meh.

Pokemon is no shadow of a doubt one of the most successful animated product to ever debut on TV. I mean, the sales, games, movies, etc. so yea.

Again, promotion was a major issue why the movie didn't do as well as it hoped.

For those who have kept up for the past few years in the Yugioh franchise, the rules have expanded to much more complex. I could go into this but it would be off topic so I'll leave it like that. But, it's no close to where I remember from the old school days when they were at the peak of its popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
15.2 millions today is not as good as 15 millions few years ago because yen is too strong.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
I hope this opens doors for more anime movies to be shown in wider releases over here in the states.And like the comment above me usually these films never are in my area but thankfully this time i only had to drive 30 minutes to the nearest celebration cinema to see it.
Same. I didn't love this movie like I love most of Miyazaki's previous works, but it doing so well is great news. At the very least, this will reinforce Disney's schema of Miyazaki's works being successful and his next movie will get even more theatres. At the best, Disney might decide to take some risks with some other anime movies. Although the memory of Summer Wars not doing great will keep companies cautious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2