• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
My apologies for not having the time to read all 80 pages of this particular thread...

...Has anyone mentioned the manga by the brother and sister team known as Nishioka Kyoudai entitled The Journey To the End Of the World? I recently clicked on a pic that predicts an anime adaptation of this title. It would be the one and only anime work done in the cubist art style that I have ever heard about [please turn me on to any cubist manga or anime of which you're aware, forum-goers]. I'm guessing it's safe to link this pic:

https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1338/35/1338353954510.jpg

Thoughts?
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Received my copy of Hagio's Heart of Thomas last night. Surprisingly hefty tome, but really nice hardcover. I can't wait to dive in!
racebit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Topshelf is no longer listing AX Vol 2 in their site page "Publishing Schedule" (News), although it is still listed in the "Future Releases" (Catalog). Hope that is not bad sign.
Also CIGARETTE GIRL by Tomohiko Matsumoto has gone down in the (mature) list (from 4th to 12th), although I am not sure the order has real meaning.
Anyway these have been listed for too long, I think.
il capitano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
Pablo_Equis wrote:
My apologies for not having the time to read all 80 pages of this particular thread...

...Has anyone mentioned the manga by the brother and sister team known as Nishioka Kyoudai entitled The Journey To the End Of the World? I recently clicked on a pic that predicts an anime adaptation of this title. It would be the one and only anime work done in the cubist art style that I have ever heard about [please turn me on to any cubist manga or anime of which you're aware, forum-goers]. I'm guessing it's safe to link this pic:

https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1338/35/1338353954510.jpg

Thoughts?

you done got trolled, son -- it looks like that's some anon's wishlist.

speaking of the nishioka siblings, though, i recently saw a book in which they adapted a bunch of kafka stories to manga form. i didn't buy it -- they're a bit too underground for me -- but i thought it was pretty cool. if anybody could possibly do kafka justice in manga form, it's the nishiokas.

ps: apparently io kuroda is back to drawing movie review comics. woohoo!

pps: here's kuroda's review of american beauty, just to give you some idea of what we're talking about here.
Sootoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Fantagraphics has licensed Inio Asano's Nijigahara Holograph.
It's only one day into 2013, but I can't see another pick-up beating this for license of the year. I'd love to be proven wrong, though...

That is really good news, but I'm still even more excited about Maruo's "Strange Tale of Panorama Island" finally getting published in English.

However, apart from this, I'm currently really struggling with learning Japanese, because to me it seems as if one really wants to read all the good stuff, you have to be able to read Moon. NO, I'm not interested in manga like Berserk, where one can not even tell if it's really seinen or shonen. I want to read stuff like "Conjoined Paradise" by Koutarou Ookoshi, "Mama" by Takashi Itsuki, anything by Keizo Miyanishi, or also some Lolicon manga by artists like Miura Yasuto or Fractal Underground Sudio, for example.

Even though I'm pretty sure most people here would just despise them as deviant and disgusting stuff for perverts, or whatever, to me, these are some of the most artful and avant-garde manga(ka) in the industry, while the mainstream sadly is just polluted by kitsch and generic patterns.
racebit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Topshelf is no longer listing AX Vol.2 as future release...
Any one knows reasons? Poor sales of Vol.1 or logistic issues with Vol.1 itself (translations, permissions)?
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
Anyone got Viz' release of Taiyo Matsumoto's Sunny yet?
Got it in the mail yesterday, and it is a BEAUT. Short Vine I made about it: https://vine.co/v/b3riBmzKJWE
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
UTSUBORA from Asumiko Nakamura from indie mag Manga f Erotics is now hitting cons now and should start shipping in two-weeks or so.

And we've sent out Kyoko Okazaki's HELTER SKELTER to the printers so advance copies of that might be available at SDCC.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
@Vertical_Ed: Definitely gonna check out Utsubora, and I really, really can't wait till I have Helter Skelter in my hands!

barbapapa wrote:
Anyone got Viz' release of Taiyo Matsumoto's Sunny yet?
Got it in the mail yesterday, and it is a BEAUT. Short Vine I made about it: https://vine.co/v/b3riBmzKJWE

I talked about Sunny a bit in the RTO thread. I love it. It has all the marks of Taiyo Matsumoto's flights of fancy, but condensed into a more traditional narrative. In addition to everything I talked about in the other post, I also want to say it's also a nice surprise to see Taiyo Matsumoto having young female characters take on prominent roles. Men and women, young and old, as well as boys have always been prominent in his works, so it's interesting to see him expand the age and gender a bit.

Also think it's interesting that Viz doesn't include any plot summary on the back of the book, nor one of their traditional ratings (instead it's where the credits are). Haven't seen this done with another manga before, but it may not matter since it seems to be selling well...? Regardless, as shown in your vine, it is a really gorgeous book.

I'm really looking forward to the next volume, and really hope we see more Viz Signature line releases like this again.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, that's so cool that Sunny is selling well. If anything, it makes me hopeful not only for future Signature/Ikki releases, but more Matsumoto! I would kill to own Takemitsuzamurai in English one day...
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Or Ping Pong, or Hanaotoko, or...

He still has a lot of stuff I'd love to buy if Viz ever gets around to it. Same deal with Inio Asano and Daisuke Igarashi (last volume of Children of the Sea comes out this month!). Considering the market, Hideki Arai might be too much to hope for...
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

He still has a lot of stuff I'd love to buy if Viz ever gets around to it. Same deal with Inio Asano and Daisuke Igarashi (last volume of Children of the Sea comes out this month!). Considering the market, Hideki Arai might be too much to hope for...

Haha yeah, any of those would be great! I own every localised Matsumoto manga, except for those 2 Number Five volumes (which is also a fantastic series that deserved so much more).
laikagohome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
Bonham wrote:

Haha yeah, any of those would be great! I own every localised Matsumoto manga, except for those 2 Number Five volumes (which is also a fantastic series that deserved so much more).

Is this where all the cool kids are hanging out?

A hardcover version of ping pong would be great, as it's my favorite of his. No. 5 would probably be a good pickup as well, as it's pretty action-y for his stuff. It would also be a great improvement in quality, in terms of being comprehensible, over the later volumes available. Sunny looks good, I'll probably look to pick it up it the next time I buy some books.

The hardcovers for the sig viz books are all really nice. The red on the edges of the pages is one of my favorite things about GoGo. The next time I bind a book, I think I'm going to try to do something like that. From the perspective of hobby/craft, it's nice to see when publishers pay extra attention to book construction.

I saw that a version of Kakisen is coming out soon too, Ed. Nice to see.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
laikagohome wrote:
From the perspective of hobby/craft, it's nice to see when publishers pay extra attention to book construction.

It definitely distinguishes Viz's Signature line—particularly one's like GoGo Monster and Sunny—from their other releases. Sunny may have an MSRP of $22, but the care put into it, along with the quality, makes it a far easier choice than the typical $10 release. (Also helps that places like Amazon release it at a discount.)
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
laikagohome wrote:
From the perspective of hobby/craft, it's nice to see when publishers pay extra attention to book construction.

It definitely distinguishes Viz's Signature line—particularly one's like GoGo Monster and Sunny—from their other releases. Sunny may have an MSRP of $22, but the care put into it, along with the quality, makes it a far easier choice than the typical $10 release. (Also helps that places like Amazon release it at a discount.)

They also finally realised they're allowed to ask more for fancy seinen releases, since the demographic is a lot different from the usual manga-buying crowd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 81 of 88