• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime Economy - Part 1: Let's Make An Anime!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
In the end, it doesn't make much sense to say what level of first release DVD sales are required for a general "breakeven" for the series rights as a whole without knowing both (1) the production budget and (2) what share of costs the DVD sales have to cover. That's why isolated pieces of industry insider information can easily be misleading ~ if series "X" sold so many thousand and broke even, that does not tell us as much as we would wish it to unless we also know if its production costs were at, above or below industry averages and whether its flow of revenues other than DVD royalties were at, above or below industry averages.

This. That giant breakdown RyanSaotome did a few pages ago is pretty much meaningless, hate to say. There is no magical formula for determining whether a show was successful or a dismal failure because those two variables are not public information. Even if they were, the royalty breakdown for different kinds of merchandise changes on a case by case basis, so you can really only guess here.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is timely! I was just looking into this topic recently and was coming up short on the Japanese animation side of things, (no doubt heavily due to the language barrier. Hard to find this kinda info in English.) Very informative article, looking forward to the next two parts! Anime smile

Vaguely related, I don't suppose anyone reading knows the best/most up-to-date books on animation production and the business side/process of it in the U.S.? (I have a couple of David Levy's already, but they're more anecdotal. Still, something in that vein that's up-to-date.)
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
A very interesting and informative article. I can't wait for the rest of the series.

One thing I have a question about is:
Quote:
Most of the grunt work is now done in third world countries across Asia

What third world countries? I know a lot of work is outsourced to South Korea. However SK is far from third world.
Thanks for the great read!

While S. Korea is in top 20 range of world economic power, but their currency value is still far lower than Japan. Although S. Korea does the majority of outsourced works and is considered second world country, we tend to forget that there are other Asian countries those are part of anime production.

South Korea is doing the most visible process of the animation production, which is animating, for Japanese. However, countries like Vietnam and Thailand are handling background art works. Also Japanese are trying to tap into India, China, and other SE Asian countries.

When I watched Working/Wagnaria ED credits, I've noticed the majority of BG is done in Vietnam. Even the recent Evangelion film have Vietnamese names appear on ED credit for BG.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Now, this is what I'm talking about. While part one (1) was very informative and interesting, it's numero dos that I'm truly waiting for. Twisted Evil

Man, they put a lot of currency into making these shows.

So, basically, the vast majority of all releases don't break even for years, and *30%* of them never, ever, EVER do so.

That means it's practically impossible for companies to accurately predict a sustainable amount of physical copy prints, most of the time, and they're basically just hoping/praying/wishing that they'll be able to compensate for loss dough, that was used to produce the show(s) in the first, with future "successes"; which is nigh impossible, because many of these shows become massively popular and clock fantastic download numbers in the world of "digi-subs", but are comparatively mediocre, lackluster or failures in the legal physical release world, and also, to quote Justin... "No mother dreams of having an ugly baby, and yet ugly babies are born with astonishing regularity. Likewise, no producer dreams of making a terrible show, and yet they happen all the time."

The King of Harts wrote:
These will now be the "go to" pieces for people to prove their points and disprove another's.

Yep. It sure will be; mainly because...

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Next time, we'll take a look at how DVD sales, both in Japan and abroad, can be the most important factor in a show's success.

To those who argued against that point, attempting to twist and completely distort reality: what's that nagging phrase said after a person has warned another of some possibility or potential occurrence in the past, that has actually come to pass/been substantiated?

Oh, yeah! I told you so. Rolling Eyes

::sigh::
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
What third world countries? I know a lot of work is outsourced to South Korea. However SK is far from third world.
Thanks for the great read!

South Korea still gets quite a bit of grunt work, but these days a lot of it is also going to Mainland China, The Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia.

South Korea also has a pretty wide disparity between rich and poor, so while it's not exactly a third world country anymore, there's still lots of cheap labor to be had.

Annf wrote:
I'm hoping this was more of an intro to basic ideas and part 2 will make a distinction between the children's and late-night markets (both within Japan and their respective overseas licensing/markets).

That I do. I didn't bother for part one, largely because the producing process is pretty much the same for both. But in terms of revenues, really only DVD revenue can be gauged with any level of accuracy. Merch royalties tend to be all over the place.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Wow, this is timely! I was just looking into this topic recently and was coming up short on the Japanese animation side of things, (no doubt heavily due to the language barrier. Hard to find this kinda info in English.) Very informative article, looking forward to the next two parts! Anime smile

Vaguely related, I don't suppose anyone reading knows the best/most up-to-date books on animation production and the business side/process of it in the U.S.? (I have a couple of David Levy's already, but they're more anecdotal. Still, something in that vein that's up-to-date.)

I have a David Levy's book too! (Your career in Animation: How to survive and thrive) I think animation production and business in the U.S. are so insular that no one came up with definitive book yet. I guess it's better to look up on Animation World Network / AWN.com for details.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I don't really have any up-to-date books, but if it helps any bit, I'm currently an animation major in my junior year at the art college I go to. I've had to take several required classes in my major like digital composition, animation workshop, layout and design, storyboard, history of animation, storytelling, and acting for animators, life drawing, wildlife drawing, etc.. I'm even currently taking a sound design class this semester. Again, I don't know how much help I could be Hope, but if there's any specific questions you need to know regarding the business/production point-of-view, then I want to at least see if I can answer any of them.

Although if I can't, then I would definitely recommend what reanimator said about going to Animation World Network.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The "Must be invited to the Oscars" manga artist is Riyoko Ikeda isn't it?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Next time, we'll take a look at how DVD sales, both in Japan and abroad, can be the most important factor in a show's success.

To those who argued against that point, attempting to twist and completely distort reality: what's that nagging phrase said after a person has warned another of some possibility or potential occurrence in the past, that has actually come to pass/been substantiated?

Oh, yeah! I told you so. Rolling Eyes

::sigh::

He's saying a show--as in some--not all shows. Justin can correct me of course, but I presume he will illustrate how foreign licensing can help or even make the unprofitable now profitable. But to imply as if every show is designed for or that the production committee must target a foreign audience, is also an attempt to distort reality. How would you explain the discrepancies of what sells and what doesn't that continuously and regularly occur between the Japanese market and the foreign market for the same titles?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
He's saying a show--as in some--not all shows. Justin can correct me of course, but I presume he will illustrate how foreign licensing can help or even make the unprofitable now profitable. But to imply as if every show is designed for or that the production committee must target a foreign audience, is also an attempt to distort reality.

This is a strawman. I wasn't even remotely implying that all shows were produced with some random, unnamed "foreign" audience in mind. Hell, I wasn't even specifying that any shows were made to target a foreign audience, *at all*. You went from reiterating the point I was actually making (concerning Justin's addressing of the need for foreign licenses and DVD sales in Japan), to fabricating an argument for me.

やれやれ! Ai yai yai!

Quote:
How would you explain the discrepancies of what sells and what doesn't that continuously and regularly occur between the Japanese market and the foreign market for the same titles?

Well, this question wouldn't have even needed to be asked, if you hadn't created that strawman argument. But, of course, it's the cultural differences/preferences in anime between the audiences; Far East and "Western" (North America and Europe). That added to the fact that the North American industry is currently losing its battle with a terminal disease, due to massive declines in home video sales.

Also, as has been stated before, pandering (moe) is immensely prevalent in the Japanese anime industry. It's where most of their DVD/merchandise sales consistently come from. Do I even need to state that's its not popular here?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
@504NOSON2
That is my reply to the same debate you referenced in these forums, implied with your "I told you so" (what else could you be referring to then?) which is NOT if Japan could use or capitalize on western markets but whether if they need them or should target them. You know, the constant debate about who the audience is? The debate needing US sales in general in order for anime in general to "survive"?

JesuOtaku wrote:

I have Levy's books too.

WRT Japan specifically:
Schoolgirl Milky Crisis by Jonathan Clements (interesting anecdotes on his site too)

I plan to get these, but they are pretty old and the last one is out of print.
Gardner's Guide to Writing and Producing Animation
Gardner's Guide to Pitching and Selling Animation
Both by Shannon Miur who worked in a variety of Production and writing related jobs: Production Assistant on Jumanji: The Animated Series, Voltron, Invader Zim, and:
Quote:

... Also while still at Universal, I heard from a Japanese company I'd actually contacted in 2002 about looking for Western writers for a new show they were developing, based off an Internet ad. The premise looked cute, but I didn't know if I could handle the comedy, but I decided to try. The result was writing not one, but FIVE scripts for the company (two with my creative partner and longtime beau, Kevin Paul Shaw Broden), to then be translated back into Japanese. The show, Midnight Horror School, began airing in October of 2003 on Hiroshima TV. This, at last, proved to be my dream of being an animation writer realized!

she also has articles:

MARC HANDLER INTERVIEW: WRITING DUBBED ANIMATION
Quote:
You've written for series such as Voltron, which was recrafted for an American audience by removing or re-editing sequences, and series such as Cowboy Bebop, for which minimal editing is done. Can you elaborate on the joys and challenges of each?

GREG WEISMAN INTERVIEW: DEVELOPER, PRODUCER, VOICE DIRECTOR, WRITER AND STORY EDITOR
Quote:

... Gargoyles began as a notion Greg explored with his development team.
... While a supervising producer on Gargoyles (see Part One) Greg began to attend the voice recording sessions. ... Greg transitioned to voice directing while on Gargoyles.
... Greg's big opportunity came when a former USC student, Jonathan Klein, asked him to voice direct a new English adaptation of the Japanese series 3x3 Eyes
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for an article like this for years. It boggles the mind how few Anime fans actually know how the very shows and movies they watch are made.

Can't wait for Part Two.

configspace wrote:
But to imply as if every show is designed for or that the production committee must target a foreign audience, is also an attempt to distort reality.

But attempting to distort reality is one of 504NOSON2's favourite pastimes.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Quote:
In other cases, a media company will set about creating a new original work that can potentially make money in any number of ways: a popular show can be used to sell toys and model kits, or perhaps the company is really trying to sell a card game (like with Yu-Gi-Oh!). More often, their goal is to simply sell as many DVDs as possible.

So this explains why the show FREEDOM, at times, felt like a rather expensive instant soup commercial to me. Laughing

It also seems to explain part of how the third TV season of Marimite got financed.

dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
^
Reminds me of how Pizza Hutt supports the rebellion.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
I didn't notice the answer to this in the article, or the posts [which I admittedly scrolled through.]:
What is meant by break-even? Does that include the time value of money? For example, if an anime cost $3,000,000 to make, and earned $500,000 a year for 6 years, it would appear to "break-even" at that point. However, if the production committee required a return of 10%, the $500,000 for 6 years would only be worth $2,178,000 compared to a cost of $3,000,000.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7