• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ikki Tousen Anime, Beta Video Portal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
v1cious wrote:
am i missing the outrage here? i thought we all pretty much established that this was coming.
Yes, but we hoped against hope that those obvious word puns were a throw off. But allas, hope in this industry is a foolish commodity.
In truth, As a Brittish Anime fan, I should already know this.

What're you talking about? I'd much rather have them announce a bunch of reissues of older shows than brand new stuff. PERFECT holiday gift I tell ya!

BTW, is Vandread any good? Regardless of it being a rescue title or not.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
v1cious wrote:
am i missing the outrage here? i thought we all pretty much established that this was coming.
Yes, but we hoped against hope that those obvious word puns were a throw off. But allas, hope in this industry is a foolish commodity.
In truth, As a Brittish Anime fan, I should already know this.

What're you talking about? I'd much rather have them announce a bunch of reissues of older shows than brand new stuff. PERFECT holiday gift I tell ya!

huh? Soul Eater and OH! Edo Rocket are both new acquisitions. also as i said in the other thread, there's still two licenses we don't know yet.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
... and so my boycott of Funimation continues. Excuse me for saying this but Funimation keeps releasing the bullshit titles from Geneon.

So you are going to boycott Funimation by not purchasing an anime series you dislike. Am I the only one who sees how ridiculous this sounds?

Of course you shouldn't be expected to buy something you are not a fan of but I expect you will buy from Funi if they actually license something you enjoy.

And for the record from the clues given there is a very strong chance that Funi will also license rescue Last Exile.

And yes to me Ikki Tousen sounds like a horrible series that I have no interest in but I am not everyone and I am sure there are people out there who enjoy it. Let's not think that our individual opinion represents every anime fan.

edit: Although I am not that excited about these Gonzo/Geneon rescues (because I actually dislike most Gonzo series) I am sort of happy it seems they will be rescuing Gankutsuou. That is a series I enjoy that I never got to purchase.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Yep, Vandread is a pretty cool show in my opinion. I'd absolutely be purchasing a re-issued box from Funimation, if I hadn't already bought Geneon's 4 years -- and $180 Shocked -- ago. It's not a particularly deep show, but it has a solid sci-fi story with good art and animation (sans the CG, which is typical Gonzo quality for the time). A bit of fanservice too, but nowhere near shows like Witchblade or Ikki Tousen here.

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Those are kinda easy to figure out. Most likely Spice and Wolf and prob Seto no Hanayome. I just wish they had picked up more new titles instead of the Geneon stuff, although I would have been more than happy if one was Hellsing Ultimate.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Even by ecchi show standards, it's pretty sad. I mean FUNi has Witchblade which proved you can have a show with fan service and heart, but this dreck is execrable to the extreme.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Those are kinda easy to figure out. Most likely Spice and Wolf and prob Seto no Hanayome. I just wish they had picked up more new titles instead of the Geneon stuff, although I would have been more than happy if one was Hellsing Ultimate.

Funimation has already rescued Hellsing Ultimate. I really hope they announce Spice and Wolf, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
heavy:
Quote:
Why did they pick up Ikki Tousen? Why?

Probably because it's cheap, and they actually believe it'll make money. But hey, I hope this'll keep up the hope for quality Geneon anime license rescues. I wonder if FY is next.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I wonder if this affects GONG's streams. Or are the some entirely different entity? I know that the dubs and subs that GONG is using are Geneon's...

Last edited by Asrialys on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Well we don't know if Funimation is going to distribute 5 through w/e the amount of Ultimate. All Funimation did was re-release the Geneon titles.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I know Ikki Tousen is criticized as being merely ultra fan service but I can understand why they did this. A few reasons I feel they did this. First, ecchi/fan service anime/manga is sexist but can appeal to large demographic entertainment in general seem to be aimed at: males. Also, they potentially picked it up as one the titles they acquired from Geneon*. Finally, sometimes you just get take what you can get. I would watch it solely for the ecchi stuff.

*For those who forgot, I think it is safte to say that it is occasionally agreed that potentially the main reason for them going out of business was due to anime piracy.
MakieSasaki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation know what there doing but maybe we shouldnt look at hidden words in the clues another thread is saying look up the people mentioned in the clues

i cant its like finding ur presents before xmas i just want the excitment rlly ^^ Very Happy
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
heavy:
Quote:
Why did they pick up Ikki Tousen? Why?

Probably because it's cheap, and they actually believe it'll make money. But hey, I hope this'll keep up the hope for quality Geneon anime license rescues. I wonder if FY is next.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - this probably will make at least some money, and was probably dirt cheap. And hopefully they'll pick up some of Geneon's better shows later.

But I'm not so enamored about FY. I still think that Haibane Renmei should be near the top of Geneon's licenses that should be preserved.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Funimation = FAIL. Are so many of the new titles released going to be re-releases? I mean they could license Seto or Sayonara but instead are just rescuing Geneon titles. Ugh I was hoping for so much more out of this but w/e.

Yeah, they really should just have announced these rescues in a batch instead of playing it up like something really new/important.

Yeah, it's great that these titles are going back into circulation so people can get them easily in boxsets, but that doesn't change the fact that they're already here and old news, and a lot of people already do own the sets. Kind of like the Holiday Version of Evangelion. It's just another pointless re-release. Americans don't buy re-releases like the Japanese do, we buy whatever version is most easily obtained.

In the end, FUNi should have shorted their new shows a go-go to the days that they announce new titles and an extra day for announcing the rescues together. To treat them separately is retarded.
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
There is supposed to be a video game of this series published for the U.S. early next year by Valcon Games called Ikki Tousen: Shining Dragon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9