• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ikki Tousen Anime, Beta Video Portal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
GATSU wrote:
heavy:
Quote:
Why did they pick up Ikki Tousen? Why?

Probably because it's cheap, and they actually believe it'll make money. But hey, I hope this'll keep up the hope for quality Geneon anime license rescues. I wonder if FY is next.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - this probably will make at least some money, and was probably dirt cheap. And hopefully they'll pick up some of Geneon's better shows later.

But I'm not so enamored about FY. I still think that Haibane Renmei should be near the top of Geneon's licenses that should be preserved.

Just to get your POV, why aren't you too psyched about someone rescuing Fushigi? I heard a lot of good things about it back in the day, but even then the series boxes were prohibitively expensive.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, this is the hugest letdown. Not because of the anime, but because it's already been released!

Now I bet the other 9 "new shows" will just be old Geneon/ADV series.

Thanks for nothing Funimation!!!
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

no Geneon was ruined by a lousy business model. they had tons of good titles and did almost nothing to promote them. come on, Ergo Proxy on FUSE? ADV put too many eggs in one basket, and all it took was one stock split to ruin years of work. it is my estimation that Funimation will be very close to a monopoly by 2012.

Also, I'm assuming FUNimation has deeper pockets than some of the other studios because it seems like every five seconds they release some new series on DVD.

Last edited by Unit 03.5-ish on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I hope Funi shockes all the complainers and the last two are:

9. Cardcaptor Sakura (a re-release that would be VASTLY welcome. Even those who already own it would understand, since trying to buy it now will result in possible bankruptcy)
10. Fullmetal Alchemist 2nd series (would be awesome beyond words)

Okay, never going to happen, but it would be sweet.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder if these reissues will be released as complete collected ThinPaks, since all the work (dubbing, DVD authoring, etc.) was already done anyway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Heh, I hope Funi shockes all the complainers and the last two are:

9. Cardcaptor Sakura (a re-release that would be VASTLY welcome. Even those who already own it would understand, since trying to buy it now will result in possible bankruptcy)
10. Fullmetal Alchemist 2nd series (would be awesome beyond words)

Okay, never going to happen, but it would be sweet.

I doubt most people would be happy, or care, with a CCS rescue. Though pre-licensing FMA season 2 would make sense, since it's guaranteed to do well here, considering the annoying fanbase. The best you could hope there would be if they broadcasted it on American TV not too soon after the Japanese, otherwise you'll still have fansubs out all over the place, the show would probably be over-subbed.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I do wonder if these reissues will be released as complete collected ThinPaks, since all the work (dubbing, DVD authoring, etc.) was already done anyway.

They'd best be, no one wants to buy singles for a show that's already out in full, and older. And if that were the case, most of these shows can still be bought for cheap from places like Rightstuf for most of the singles.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ah Funimation, I feel your pain. Heros one month, zeros the next. Aren't we a wonderful lot?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ah Funimation, I feel your pain. Heros one month, zeros the next. Aren't we a wonderful lot?

Hey, sorry. But if you know anything about Ikki Tousen you'll know why it's one of the more reviled series of recent memory.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Hey, sorry. But if you know anything about Ikki Tousen you'll know why it's one of the more reviled series of recent memory.
I do know it, and also know who would rivile it, and who would not. You can't blame FUNi for trying to please everyone. Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, there still is a couple more days, hopefully other shows that appeal to bigger audience will be aquireed/licensed.

I really hope that at least one series I've enjoyed either in the past or present get's licensed. Since this Funimation though, I am sure there will be some good shows licensed. Hopefully.

I wouldn't mind Toradora being licensed, but Vandread, the new Evagellion movie wouldn't be bad either.

Hopefully, the rest of the licensed series will turn out to be interesting.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt most people would be happy, or care, with a CCS rescue.

You're going to have to start reading the AoD forums. A lot of people there - including myself - would be thrilled and most certainly will care for a CCS "rescue".
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It's more then just speculating though there were clues left on Funi's website that pointed to these titles.

Please note that Ikki Tousen was also guessed before today. Do you think someone would just randomly have guessed Ikki Tousen?

Anyways here are all the clues and where the guesses are coming from:

1) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ffffk3i3i3u5.jpg (Vandread see the words Van and dread in the title)

2) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/a7ddhwjuv81.jpg (Ikkitousen see itchy toes in the clue)

3) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/00928cdx7.jpg (Soul Eater see Soul and Eat in the clue. A lot of people think this could be Spice and Wolf because of apple pie but I think Soul Eater is more likely of the two unless it is both)

4) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccfaad36.jpg (New Eva Movie see Eve Angie Eliand in clue)

5) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/33392238.jpg (Gad Guard see Gadget and Guardian in clue)

6) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/747fG477414.jpg (Last Exile see Last and Ex in clue)

7) http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccd22amQ77duii3.jpg (Oh! Edo Rocket- See Oh!, Ed, and Rocket in clue)

8) http://funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccdk129cfjha2.jpg (The Count of Monte Cristo- See Count, Monte and Christy in clue)

Of course a few of these could be incorrect but I just want to point out they are all very logical guesses. There are also 2 licenses unaccounted for since there are only 8 clues but 10 licenses.

Quoting this, so more people can see this.

It also seems likely that they're hinting at Hetalia Axis Powers (set to air in Japan early next year) in the same card which has the hint for Evangelion, since it starts out "Hey Talia".

That leaves one title out there left for speculation.
Since the titles of the series seem to be spread throughout the cards, maybe you can take a stab at what the last mystery title will be (I sure can't).
Or that could in fact be Spice & Wolf in the Soul Eater card, but since everything else seems to be based on the names, I don't think it will be.

Maybe if you check out the hints, you'll be slightly less disappointed or more excited (or neither) for the future days.

It seems that half of these will in fact be license rescues, but there are some new titles there as well.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Vandread getting a reissue, as I said earlier, though I did order the season 1 and 2 set for a good price on Amazon.

But some of those shows, like Last Exile, seemed interesting but now that they're OOP the prices are jacked up, so hopefully this will mean a few economy ThinPaks at 50 bucks a pop.

Anyone else have money on them re-re-re-releasing Evangelion again (TV series) to coincide with the R1 release of Rebuild? Assuming, of course, they get that license from ADV, too (I mean the TV series).
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Why would I feel the need to buy Last Exile, Gad Guard, Vandread or the other Geneon releases when I bought the complete series sets for $50 each through Right Stuf?

Besides, Funimation isn't simply re-releasing them, they're shrinking the sets down to four disk sets, stripping the bonus features from the sets and selling them for the same over-inflated price.

Yes, I'll continue boycotting Funimation ... oh, and Funimation better watch it ... if they obtain too large of the market share, they could find themselves under the eye of the FTC and an Anti Trust lawsuit and I would consider that poetic justice.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Why would I feel the need to buy Last Exile, Gad Guard, Vandread or the other Geneon releases when I bought the complete series sets for $50 each through Right Stuf?

Besides, Funimation isn't simply re-releasing them, they're shrinking the sets down to four disk sets, stripping the bonus features from the sets and selling them for the same over-inflated price.

Yes, I'll continue boycotting Funimation ... oh, and Funimation better watch it ... if they obtain too large of the market share, they could find themselves under the eye of the FTC and an Anti Trust lawsuit and I would consider that poetic justice.

It's a good thing for the people who missed these shows the FIRST time around?

And what do you expect? Geneon died, ADV nearly crumbled, CPM hasn't been seen in ages, Bandai's not announced new licenses recently, anime is a niche market and with the economy it's gotten a nasty forceful rump-humping...

Yeah, you get the idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9