• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Announces Madlax

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
manuverse wrote:
ADV has plenty of customers willing to pay for their anime no matter how pricey or stingy each volume is. The original Eva DVDs no extras (other than character profiles and trailers) and a very high price tag yet i still forked over the money to buy the expensive perfect collection. Basically if the fans like something enough they will buy it.

*cringe* Such...expensive...boxset.. *dies* Luckly I was fortunate to have several friends that had Eva eps (same with escaflone, gundam wing, and a few others), none of them had the entire seires, but between all of them, I was able to watch the whole series. I have the second dvd to the movie, but that's all I'm willing to get, eva wise. I know someone who has the directors cut, so I'm going to borrow and watch that. If I can't find it at a desent price at stores I resort the the "underground" anime world. Sorry, but I'm not crazy. Anime hyper The only Boxsets I have are a Fusighi Yuugi boxset (vhs, only half the series subbed, friend has rest dubbed) and the steal angel kurimi boxset, both were $40 when I got them. If it's too expensive for my taste I resort to friends and online. I man be a kid, but I don't want to go hog wild over anime and make my parents spend a ton. Usually opportunites present themselves when I look online *cough cough* love hina and hellsing *cough cough*So if I wait and look, I usually find what I want to watch, or just ask my friend who can get almost any anime that I ask for *cough cough* DNAngel *cough cough* Laughing

Hmm, ever heard of DeepDiscountDVD? I bought the Excel Saga IMperfect boxset for $50 at the BX here on base, and over at DDD, you can buy it for $55. Many things at DDD are 25% cheaper or more than traditional brick and mortar stores.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:45 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Even then, the games were not done by Beetrain. Praising and complimenting the games is not only off topic, but rather pointless, as we're talking about the Anime. I don't care if it's setting the games up, a series should have the ability to stand on its own (which .hack did not) and not rely on a game that's been spread across 4 discs.

Also, last time I checked, playing a game was for fun. If it's boring, repetetive, and doesn't even have good eye candy (which they don't), then it fails at being a game.

Ok, sure they weren't made by Beetrain, but they connect to SIGN. There are 3 events, one in Mutation (2) one in Outbreak (3) and one quarintine (4) That have the SIGN characters in it. The first one is a shadow event where you get to see sence fom SIGN CG in the game. Second is another event were you have to find the remnants of the SIGN characters. They say lines from the show, and give you items such as Tsukasa give you his wand, etc. (Remember they are remaining data, so they aren't actually there.) The last one is at the end of quarintine. YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME WITH THE SIGN CHARACTERS!! (Also there's this deal with Sora in the 3rd game, but I don't feel like explaining it) If that isn't enough eveidence that the games should be mentioned with SING, I don't know what it, but if you had played the games you would know this already. It may not look like it, but SIGN plays a great role in the games, so it is perfectly logical to include in anything you say about .hack.

I said it earlier. I actually couldn't care about THE GAME, I cared about the storyline. I'm sorry if I didn't have the power to chose what type of media they wanted to put the GOOD BULCK of the storyline it. I buy it, play it, satisfy my curiousity, and move on. Since I'm 15, buying things doesn't affect me yet, so I couldn't care less how much it cost....even though I tried to buy them at like Target for like $30 if I could, and I got mutation for $14 and Blockbuster, but whatever. It seems like you don't want people, especially me as I am a juvenille, to explore something that they are interested in, and to actually have a curiosity in the first place. Haven't you ever wanted to know something so bad that you would go to any lengths to find out what it is, and to let your mind understand? That is what .hack did for me. It lets people thing outside of the box so to speak, and get into a world that could possibly one day be like our own.

what the HELL are you going on about? You are going way off topic. So what if you can play the with sign characters? The show is bad, the game isnt good, THEREFORE IT IS A FAILIURE.

Since when did I say I didn't want you to explore? By all means, do so. However, what I would like you to do is actually get things right! You said that a Beetrain Anime is something deep, compelling and what not, which do not contain magic, monsters or mecha. Yet, despite being an online game, the .hack series contains a good deal of magic and monsters. Beetrain have also produced several titles containing some of the Ms. plus, Madhouse, Ghibli, and what not have also produced several real-life, down to earth anime. So your definition of "beetrain" anime is WRONG.

So why the hell are you going on about the games? as it is, Beetrain did not produce any of the .hack series. They simply provided Animation (which is often static and boring), and also did animation on the relative OAVs. They did produce Twilight, which I have to say contains somewhat less "depth" (aside from faux lolicon-incest, it's actually somewhat reasonable to watch), unlike its predecessor. They did not participate in the creation of the games. Even if the .hack games WERE good, and if the sign anime WASNT boring, it still would not be due to any credit of Beetrain.

So for gods sake, stop changing the topic.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quote
I've been DL'ing Madlax for some time now and I haven't had the chance to really sit and watch it. I watched up to the ep. where 'Elinore' puts the "hurting" on the school "jerk". I like the show so far. When I got ep. 24 I knew 25 & 26 were not far behind. Of course when I look up the link is gone. Then I come here to get the news and my guess was right. I had to scramble to find ep. 25 somewhere else. Lucky, but DAMN no ep. 26!! Very Happy But I do plan to pick it up once it's released. I don't mind fansubs but nothing is better than being able to have total control on a DVD.

I really like the show. It has a more solid plot than 'Avenger'. I like 'Avenger' too but it has a lot of plot holes in it. Kind of like, "Let's do a project! Ok now it's done." And I like 'Noir' too from what I saw, eventually I'll have to own it to watch it. Very Happy

I figured that they would pick it up. After all since ADV pretty much owns most of Newtype's holdings anything new that they decide to cover ends up either being picked up by them or someone else. Like 'Chrno Crusade', 'Kurau: Phantom Memory' etc... You pretty much can figure it out. And with 'My-Hime' on the rise in 2 more days (1 1/2 days Japan time), you better believe that's getting yanked next. It's been getting more coverage. And I've been waiting long and hard to see it.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Even then, the games were not done by Beetrain. Praising and complimenting the games is not only off topic, but rather pointless, as we're talking about the Anime. I don't care if it's setting the games up, a series should have the ability to stand on its own (which .hack did not) and not rely on a game that's been spread across 4 discs.

Also, last time I checked, playing a game was for fun. If it's boring, repetetive, and doesn't even have good eye candy (which they don't), then it fails at being a game.

Ok, sure they weren't made by Beetrain, but they connect to SIGN. There are 3 events, one in Mutation (2) one in Outbreak (3) and one quarintine (4) That have the SIGN characters in it. The first one is a shadow event where you get to see sence fom SIGN CG in the game. Second is another event were you have to find the remnants of the SIGN characters. They say lines from the show, and give you items such as Tsukasa give you his wand, etc. (Remember they are remaining data, so they aren't actually there.) The last one is at the end of quarintine. YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME WITH THE SIGN CHARACTERS!! (Also there's this deal with Sora in the 3rd game, but I don't feel like explaining it) If that isn't enough eveidence that the games should be mentioned with SING, I don't know what it, but if you had played the games you would know this already. It may not look like it, but SIGN plays a great role in the games, so it is perfectly logical to include in anything you say about .hack.

I said it earlier. I actually couldn't care about THE GAME, I cared about the storyline. I'm sorry if I didn't have the power to chose what type of media they wanted to put the GOOD BULCK of the storyline it. I buy it, play it, satisfy my curiousity, and move on. Since I'm 15, buying things doesn't affect me yet, so I couldn't care less how much it cost....even though I tried to buy them at like Target for like $30 if I could, and I got mutation for $14 and Blockbuster, but whatever. It seems like you don't want people, especially me as I am a juvenille, to explore something that they are interested in, and to actually have a curiosity in the first place. Haven't you ever wanted to know something so bad that you would go to any lengths to find out what it is, and to let your mind understand? That is what .hack did for me. It lets people thing outside of the box so to speak, and get into a world that could possibly one day be like our own.

what the HELL are you going on about? You are going way off topic. So what if you can play the with sign characters? The show is bad, the game isnt good, THEREFORE IT IS A FAILIURE.

Since when did I say I didn't want you to explore? By all means, do so. However, what I would like you to do is actually get things right! You said that a Beetrain Anime is something deep, compelling and what not, which do not contain magic, monsters or mecha. Yet, despite being an online game, the .hack series contains a good deal of magic and monsters. Beetrain have also produced several titles containing some of the Ms. plus, Madhouse, Ghibli, and what not have also produced several real-life, down to earth anime. So your definition of "beetrain" anime is WRONG.

So why the hell are you going on about the games? as it is, Beetrain did not produce any of the .hack series. They simply provided Animation (which is often static and boring), and also did animation on the relative OAVs. They did produce Twilight, which I have to say contains somewhat less "depth" (aside from faux lolicon-incest, it's actually somewhat reasonable to watch), unlike its predecessor. They did not participate in the creation of the games. Even if the .hack games WERE good, and if the sign anime WASNT boring, it still would not be due to any credit of Beetrain.

Since all Beetrain series seem to share the common characteristics of being slow moving and dialogue heavy, this is pertinent to the discussion of Madlax. Now, let me guess, it was boring because there wasn't enough action for you. That seems to be the major reason, not enough action. I've said it before, I know I'll have to say it again, the level of action should never be viewed as such an important aspect of any form of media be it a book, movie, or television series. The level of action should never be viewed as being just as important as character developement or story, and if it is then God help us all. If its an action movie, if the word "action" is written right on the box itself, then I'd understand how a lack of it would be a detriment.
manuverse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Madlax had plenty of action anyways. So did Noir and .Hack//SIGN and .Hack//DUSK. Really, the only Beetrain anime i can think of with out a lot of action is the .Hack//Luminity OVA.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Andre Linoge wrote:
Since all Beetrain series seem to share the common characteristics of being slow moving and dialogue heavy, this is pertinent to the discussion of Madlax. Now, let me guess, it was boring because there wasn't enough action for you. That seems to be the major reason, not enough action. I've said it before, I know I'll have to say it again, the level of action should never be viewed as such an important aspect of any form of media be it a book, movie, or television series. The level of action should never be viewed as being just as important as character developement or story, and if it is then God help us all. If its an action movie, if the word "action" is written right on the box itself, then I'd understand how a lack of it would be a detriment.

Just because something is slow moving and has way too much dialogue doesn't mean that it's inherently better than something that moves quickly. It just means that it's slow moving and has a lot of dialogue. Things like 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Hundred Years of Solitude moved very slowly, but that was the only way to tell those (excellent) stories. Then again, I enjoyed Battle Royale a hell of a lot more than Gulliver's Travels - which I've never been able to get through because it was slow and didn't have to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Strategos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I wish ADV would do what Funimation did with Fruits Basket. 6-7 episodes per DVD, slightly higher MSRP per DVD, 4 DVD's. You get them faster, it cost you less. I don't understand why this isn't the standard. I guess it is just the money really. It seems like they would sell alot more DVD's if there were more than 3-5 episodes per DVD and make up the lost revenue. O well, maybe some day. Get kind of tired waiting an entire year with every 2 month releases for series I want to see. Sorry for the rant, but ya know, I just want my anime faster. Is that so wrong? Smile.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Andre Linoge wrote:

Just because something is slow moving and has way too much dialogue doesn't mean that it's inherently better than something that moves quickly. It just means that it's slow moving and has a lot of dialogue. Things like 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Hundred Years of Solitude moved very slowly, but that was the only way to tell those (excellent) stories. Then again, I enjoyed Battle Royale a hell of a lot more than Gulliver's Travels - which I've never been able to get through because it was slow and didn't have to be.

I'm not saying that something that is slow moving and has an abundance of dialogue is better than something more fast paced. All I'm saying is that how action oriented a series is shouldn't be considered a key determining factor as to whether its good or not. One of the key complaints most reviewers site about .hack//SIGN is that there isn't enough action when that was never the point of the series.
NetDiver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quote
I got a few episodes of Madlax from internet before the ADV's announcement. While there are similarities to Noir, Madlax feels quite different. After watching a few episodes it became clear that I was going to buy this on dvd anyway. So I'm happy it was licenced. Don't think it'll be released until spring next year, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4