• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Easy Print option for articles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
You guys should have a printing option for your articles, one that makes it come out nicer when you print it.

Suggesting this because I was writing a paper and I was using some of your articles for reference and I noticed you didn't have one.

Anyways, thanks!
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I take it everyone thinks this is a horrible idea. Alright then.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
While I am not sure about other browsers, but with Firefox 10.02 (or really just Firefox in general.) there is a very simple way of printing an object out.

First go to File, this is located in the top left corner of the browser.

Then scroll down eight or so times and you'll find an option called Print.

Now you can also use a short cut named Ctrl+P, this will print said page your own just as well. Just sightly faster.

If you want a higher quality print option, I highly recommend that you copy and paste (although this done by left clicking your mouse and high lighting said sentence and then selecting copy) said article into a blank Microsoft (or Linux based, if you have Linux installed) word processing program and then pasting said material there.

Not sure what type of printer you have, but with my printer, when I choose to print, I am given several options with quality. I think mine is standard, medium and best. There are other features in doing this as well, for example potentially adjusting the color tone in the work to suite your needs for said work.

Given that there is several options for printing and for the most part, these are fairly easy to use, while I see your point in having a integrated print button, I'd say I'd just be easier to print via an Internet browser using the file method.

This isn't a horrible idea though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
Wow Teriyaki Terrier, there's so much sarcasm dripping from your post it's made a four-inch-deep puddle.

I'm not judging, just making an observation.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wow Teriyaki Terrier, there's so much sarcasm dripping from your post it's made a four-inch-deep puddle.

He also might have missed the point, or maybe I did.
I thought that Fletcher1991 was asking for a "printer version" of the article. That prints the content of a page without printing navigation banners, advertisements, and other objects that are not actually part of the content.
eBay does this for some pages and I find it be be very convenient. However I have no idea how much extra work is required by the HTML programmer to create the printer version in addition to the regular page.

In lieu of that I would suggest, without sarcasm, that people using Firefox get the "Print Edit" add-on. This allows you to selectively delete anything that you do not want to print.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I'm not judging, just making an observation.

No, no there is not. Just trying to help, I wrote this post fairly late yesterday. If I were being sarcastic, why would I bother to go in such detail?

Touma, again I wrote this post fairly late and I was exceptionally tired. I just didn't want the guy to think no one cared.

Without any sarcasm either, that add on does sound useful though. Sure beats manually have to deleting what you don't on a page via word.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Hi Fletcher1991, this isn't a bad idea. We'll consider adding this feature site-wide as part of an upcoming project in a few months.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
@Teriyaki Terrier

I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@Teriyaki Terrier

I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. :oops:

It's cool, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but yeah my original intention was to help. It's cool, no hard feelings. Pretty awesome idea though you had about the Firefox add on, I never even knew about that one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't mean to cause offence. It's just that sarcasm is so gosh darn easy to mistake on the internet. I was going off the rule of thumb that if someone gives another extremely simple instructions about a process which the addressee should know about then that is likely to be sarcasm. In this case however it wasn't.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Dtm42: I can see where your coming from, but no sarcasm in this case. The reason I went into detail as I wasn't sure if the poster was asking how to print and I wanted to make sure I could at least help if I could.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

He also might have missed the point, or maybe I did.
I thought that Fletcher1991 was asking for a "printer version" of the article. That prints the content of a page without printing navigation banners, advertisements, and other objects that are not actually part of the content.

Yeah, I was talking about this. But thanks for the tutorial on how to print a page Teriyaki lol.

tempest wrote:
Hi Fletcher1991, this isn't a bad idea. We'll consider adding this feature site-wide as part of an upcoming project in a few months.

Alright cool, thanks for responding.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I've printed a webpage, but when I used to do so I found the "print selection" feature of Internet Explorer invaluable; highlight the portion of the page you want, click print then make use the "print selection" option is selected under range.
What it doesn't do is ensure that the text is black on white, like a proper version of a page will do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1