• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Licenses TV Tokyo's Web Ghost PiPoPa Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Crunchyroll's 720p stream is actually pretty darn good, all things considered.

I think I'm actually going to pay for their subscription (for Naruto, really).

Protop: it's not 720p. Even YouTube's "HD" isn't 720p. I'm sure it's close, but no cigar.

Um, I ahve a number of youtube's new "HD" videos I've sort of ripped from their site.

They are all 1280x720 progressive, h.264 encoded wih 192 Kb/s AAC audio and 2 Mb/s video.

Are you sure you aren't confusing youtubes "HD" (fmt=22) with its earlier "high quality" (fmt=18)?
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
I don't see anything wrong with CR. Coming from experience in the industry, I believe that CR is helping promote the industry. They have international legitimate corporate sponsors, they don't allow streaming in Japan/South Korea, and they remove all licensed titles once announced.

TBH, I've grown impatient with the American distribution companies. Yes, I'm aware of the splitting costs- but CR offers that solution. It's free, expedient, reliable, easy, and current.

I'm sorry folks, but in a high-demand country... that wins.

/j
MrVince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with CR. Coming from experience in the industry, I believe that CR is helping promote the industry. They have international legitimate corporate sponsors, they don't allow streaming in Japan/South Korea, and they remove all licensed titles once announced.

TBH, I've grown impatient with the American distribution companies. Yes, I'm aware of the splitting costs- but CR offers that solution. It's free, expedient, reliable, easy, and current.

/j

You don't need to be sorry, but I am slightly confused by your argument. You mention CR helps promote the industry, but you seem to be saying it does that when they offer the videos for free. Doesn't it only help promote the industry when the download and "rental" revenue at least in part goes back to the studios?

As for the "that wins" comment, there's a place for both downloading content and DVD's. As I mentioned in a previous post, DVDs carry extras both on disc and possibly some other freebie like a figurine, tin box, etc. Also look at the number of people who post in the ANN forums who talk in a positive light about their favorite dub actors. That tells me there's definitely a demand for DVDs.
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:

/j

I think a lot of people have beef with the fact that the owner(s) pretended they were collage kids and led a shed load of people into thinking that this is allright.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
And the prize for the most pointless rename in history goes to..?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
And the prize for the most pointless rename in history goes to..?

Hahaha, seriously! Because, "Net Ghost" is too obscure for english-speaking audiences.

But this is definitely a surprise! I enjoy this series quite a bit, it's cute and fun. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice little kid's show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2