• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What trope do you hate the most?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Anime is full of tropes -- that's no news. But most of them you can abide, some you like, and some make you want to throw the DVD player out the window.

There are several I don't like but I just decided that there is one that turns me off every time. It is when the hero/heroine suddenly acquires a super power with implicit proficiency like they have trained with it all their lives. One scene they are just Mr/Ms ordinary, put upon and just trying to get through school with their friends and/or avoiding bullies. Next scene they are battling and winning against some super enemy they didn't even know existed a few minutes ago.

It just seems like a cheap-ass shortcut to get to the battle scenes, and makes me feel like I wasted my time.

End of rant. What's your hated trope?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This is an easy question for me: The Bland, Forgettable Male Harem Lead. I can suspend my disbelief over magic powers or that the only people capable of piloting 100 foot mechs just happen to be kids, but I will never, EVER be able to understand why gazillions of animated Japanese chicks get moist over some dumb, boring, not-a-remarkable-trait-to-his-name harem lead. Does not compute and never will. I mean, I understand the "logic" behind it - creators want dumb otaku to identify with these vanilla leads ("hey, I'm totally unremarkable too - the babes will be all over me!") but my God does it ever make for irritating viewing. I want to envy a male harem lead, not hate all his female admirers for being so stupid as to be madly in lust/love with a complete non-entity.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hard work hardly works hypocrisy. Even if the series verbally support training it always turns out that the best techniques are reserved for author's favourite- the rest may just dream to catch him.

Nobody cares about those who heal the heroes. Unless it's Black Jack any medical/healing powers are given as a second prize, to character created purely for the purpose of bringing heroes back to normal. No thanks, no focus, you just will be shoot first. Nobody think that person who can heal soldiers in seconds excluding everything that follow normal treatment should be kept away from all possible dangers and be kissed in heels.

Romance frozen in ice. The state when author makes characters too shy to be plausible or brings more and more stupid problems just to keep status quo. Made usually because one serious declaration would ruin the harem or lead to happy ending. In result adult people (Maison Ikkoku) or teenagers (Noizaga Haruka) or even immortal beings (Oh, My Goddess!) behave like preschoolers who can't form proper sentence and have no sexual feelings.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
For me, it would be the archetype of cute-looking female characters portrayed to be weak, helpless and lacking in confidence without having a male lead character around to help give them the drive to do anything on their own. Key's most notable works (Air, Kanon and Clannad) and several others are so fond of pushing this trope to force adoration onto said female characters from otaku fanboys that I feel insulted that such types of female characters are adored by anime fans in recent years and I would picture it to be somewhat sexist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Spineless female main characters who can't stick up for themselves and let men treat them like doormats. Basically, exactly what Ggultra just said. Sadly it's hard to avoid these days, but I suppose sad little boys who don't have a chance of ever being with a real girl have an "ideal" girl they can worship and dream that one day they will meet a real girl like that, rather than be intimidated by a female character who actually has a personality and doesn't have to rely on men to look after her. </rant>
silencer226

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if its a trope or not, but the occasional off screen slap is something that I've grown to hate... It just seems so cheesy to me. Then it cuts to a stupid still image I guess to add a dramatic effect to it... bleh...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I despise so many tropes that even I can't remember which ones I hate more than the others. If I was to make a list it would probably contain so much anger that it would melt through my desk or short circuit my hard drive.

Suffice to say, I hate all the tropes that people have mentioned thus far, though not in equal amounts.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, how about "Hey, let's enter 1) a girl's room without even knocking; 2) shower without making sure no one's there!" And then hilarity ensues.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Hmm, how about "Hey, let's enter 1) a girl's room without even knocking; 2) shower without making sure no one's there!" And then hilarity ensues.

Well what about when a girl is the one at fault - running out of her room or the bathroom naked or with only a towel, getting changed in the boy's bedroom, not tying her bikini properly and it comes undone, standing in a high place so everyone below her can see the colour of her panties - and then she beats up the boy for accidentally looking, all the while calling him a pervert. That has to be one of the more moronic tropes out there, because the situations are always so forced and the girl's overreaction usually makes her out to be a complete psycho bitch who can't handle taking responsibility for her own actions.

Not my most hated trope, but it is up there.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
My answer for this type of question changes pretty frequently. Basically, it's whatever trope I'm currently the most sick of seeing when this question is asked.

Currently, I'm going to have to say I am sick of the tsundere loli character. I don't find constant physical and verbal abuse of the hapless male lead to be funny (if the genders were reversed, you know that would be reviled and heavily criticized), nor do I think a constant brat is adorable. I think Dantalian is the only one I felt did that set up right, every other time I've seen it was just Mad

And, I'll probably have a different answer several months from now...

EDIT:
dtm42 wrote:
Well what about when a girl is the one at fault - running out of her room or the bathroom naked or with only a towel,

Recent most notable example of this: Majikoi ep 2 (I think).
Girls leap from bath to case a cat, run all around the dorms, end up in a room where male protagonist is literally just relaxing on a couch, minding his own business when the naked girls come flying in out of nowhere. Can you guess the result?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The trope that I have most come to despise is the over-dramatization of basic illnesses. The way anime goes, you'd think that every simple fever is a life-threatening event. (Well, okay, I guess it all too often is in anime. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Recent most notable example of this: Majikoi ep 2 (I think).
Girls leap from bath to case a cat, run all around the dorms, end up in a room where male protagonist is literally just relaxing on a couch, minding his own business when the naked girls come flying in out of nowhere. Can you guess the result?

I don't have to guess, I was unfortunate enough to watch that scene. God it made me angry. I mean, some guys (in the audience) actually get off on stuff like that? I presume so, since such scenes wouldn't be included if there wasn't demand for them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The trope that I have most come to despise is the over-dramatization of basic illnesses. The way anime goes, you'd think that every simple fever is a life-threatening event. (Well, okay, I guess it all too often is in anime. . .)

Ahh yes, I agree. Someone has a cold and immediately everyones running around looking for medicine. I've never even thought about taking medicine because of a simple cold or fever. Taking medicine over cold everytime is not actually recommened anyway.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've never even thought about taking medicine because of a simple cold or fever. Taking medicine over cold everytime is not actually recommened anyway.

You meant to say, taking medicine is completely useless and is actually worse than useless. You can treat the symptoms of a cold, but as it is a virus and NOT a bacterial infection, you cannot kill it with antibiotics. In fact, as many of us know, idiot doctors in the Western World proscribing antibiotics to 'cure' the common cold has led to a huge rise in resistant 'super-strains' of bacteria.

Now, I can't think of many examples in Anime where medicine was given to a person suffering from a cold (usually it's a futon and a wet towel draped over the forehead). But nevertheless, any example of medicine being given is actually dangerous to us in real life if we think that is standard practice. Another example is that there have been real cases of medical students incorrectly believing that you shock a flatlining patient because they saw it done in House MD every other week.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Do doctors in USA really prescribe antibiotic for cold, or do the patients demand that? Unfortunately people think that antibiotics are panacea and take them as they think they are needed..They will eat whole container while coughing, but in case of tonsillitis they will stop as soon as the pus disappears.

While over-dramatization of illness can be understood I hate treating health problems in romantic way- fainting pale heroines coughing blood in delicate manner. Or cancer that kills so nice that protagonist looks perfectly on your deathbed. Or death by childbirth that comes in seconds after delivering a child and gives the mother the chance to whisper last words before she closes her eyes forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11