• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Samurai Pizza Cats/Cats Toninden Teyande

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I considered this to be one of the upmost impossible anime series to license, simply because it was so obscure. The only things I can think of that might have had less of a chance than SPC would be that one Dragon Warrior that had 13 episodes and (of course) Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon actually has a great chance of being licensed considering that it's been relicensed internationally, the new manga's out, and that it's the franchise's 20th anniversary.

Discotek will likely release SPC is 2 box sets of 26 episodes each, and the Japanese releases with 27 episode each.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Sailor Moon actually has a great chance of being licensed considering that it's been relicensed internationally, the new manga's out, and that it's the franchise's 20th anniversary.

I thought Brian (in one of his Answerman Columns) explained that the possibility of getting Sailor Moon to America was lost in a kind of quagmire of red tape. Then again, SPC is coming to DVD; I believe in miracles (not that I want to get Sailor Moon, but I know A LOT of other people do).
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I thought Brian (in one of his Answerman Columns) explained that the possibility of getting Sailor Moon to America was lost in a kind of quagmire of red tape. Then again, SPC is coming to DVD; I believe in miracles (not that I want to get Sailor Moon, but I know A LOT of other people do).
Sailor Moon's problems seemed to rely more on the Japanese end, while SPC's problems had more to do with prior international agreements (ie Disney) that were cleared up only recently. SPC was pretty much a big flop in Japan and only found success overseas.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the dub on my local Kids WB channel when I was little and loving it even though I don't remember anything ever making sense. I'm curious about the original Japanese version, but I'm not going to double dip for it. That dub was almost as iconic for my childhood as the DIC Sailor Moon dub.

That stupid theme song still randomly gets stuck in my head. Who do you call when you want some pepperoni?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh lord.

I remember reading about this show on TvTropes. I heard that the script writer for the dub didn't recieve ANY scripts from the Japanese version, so he had to make the whole dub from scratch.

I've never seen it, but I might just buy this to see how crazy the dub is.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the Samurai Pizza Cats are actually ninjas?! Who eat tons of pizza? And they've got more fur than any turtle ever had?

I see why they were turned into samurai for the dub but...

Shocked
My mind is blown.

How did I go for over a decade of not realizing this?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
They also turned Kitsunezuka into a mouse for the dub, despite being a fox, for some reason. I guess they wanted to make fun of Ninja Turtles or something, which was also airing at that time, and made him a Splinter parody. The dub was full of pop culture stuff like that.
americananimotk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'll confess, I hated this show when I was a kid. However, seeing it as an adult, I found out it wasn't as bad as I thought it was back then.
My biggest question is, is it going to be the original Japanese version or the horrible ad-libbed English dub from Saban?

I am actually working on a review of Samurai Pizza Cats which will be posted on my website on Friday. Check it out at www.americananimeotaku.com
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

It must've been a while ago, back when it WAS nearly impossible since the Japanese had the franchise in moratorium for some reason. The franchise has come out of moratorium, and according to the Mexican DVD distributor, it's more an issue of who can afford the huge licensing price tag, and who can meet with the approval of Naoko Takeuchi (the creator of the franchise) and Toei Animation. Apparently it took Capitol 1 TWO YEARS to release it to DVD in Mexico because they had to meet with the approval of Naoko and Toei for many elements of their release.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Discotek, company of the year or company of the year?

These guys are not only going rescue Game Center CX from the clutches of KOTAK but then proceed to licence the unliceneable and make it's original version available too.

The only way Funimation is going to beat them out is if they get the rights to Sailor Moon like they keep threatening to do.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:
What I think they should do is make a point of including the two dubless episodes with the dubbed set. If they did that, I think it would be fair to speculate that some percentage of those fans would grow to like the original Japanese audio enough to eventually buy the subbed set. This is all assuming that there's a good reason for the separate sets.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was edits between both editions that might make it rough to patch it perfectly that way. In the case of dubbing those two episodes, it would be a great little marketing ploy if they wanted to say they have "2 NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN-EPISODES" for the dub set. The only complaint I would have is the kind of money or time needed to round up the guys who had been involved with the show 20 years before and whether or not they may like to take a crack at doing it all over again for a second timer.

TitanXL wrote:

And that will be a damn shame.

Ain't that a shame, my tears fell like rain!

Quote:
While they're at bringing over old, uncut hackjob dub children's anime, can they please release some uncut Monster Farm or Space-Time Detective Genshi-kun?

I'd rather these got a shot too..
Belle & Sebastian
Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics
The Adventures of the Little Koala
Dragon Warrior (the first Dragon Quest anime)
Honey Honey
Maple Town

Yes, I wear my 80's pendant with pride!

Jikorijo wrote:
EDIT: The article says, "that it will be releasing the entire Samurai Pizza Cats (Kyattou Ninden Teyandee) anime series on home video." It's being released on home video? Do they mean DVD?

It's a shame we have to be that specific these days, yes they meant DVD. "Home Video" has been a generic term to describe the commercial home release of videos since the very beginning.

FLCLGainax wrote:
Yeah, it pretty much seemed like the American writers of Pizza Cats wrote the dialog after the footage was edited down. Synching the dub up to the Japanese would just lead to a confusing mess.

Some of our UK buds who might remember a little French stop motion thing called "The Magic Roundabout" probably know that pretty well as that was pretty much done the same way.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It must've been a while ago, back when it WAS nearly impossible since the Japanese had the franchise in moratorium for some reason. The franchise has come out of moratorium, and according to the Mexican DVD distributor, it's more an issue of who can afford the huge licensing price tag, and who can meet with the approval of Naoko Takeuchi (the creator of the franchise) and Toei Animation. Apparently it took Capitol 1 TWO YEARS to release it to DVD in Mexico because they had to meet with the approval of Naoko and Toei for many elements of their release.

I tip my hat to the lucky American that may have to go through that mess someday.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
I do hope the subtitled version does sell alright, though I predict it probably won't sell as well as the dub, like other people seem to suspect. Still, I plan on picking up the subbed sets, as that has been my primary interest in the series, especially with the lack of fansubs of the show, making it harder to get a hold of it was a result.

That's because almost nobody cared about the show when it was airing (it was cancelled after 1 season even though there were plans for a 2nd) until they saw Samurai Pizza Cats.

I remember seeing most of the episodes but don't recall the ending! (Though I do recall the dub pretending to cover-up the Japanese writings in the show by calling it chicken scratches.) At least France already released the DVDs. Laughing

Anyways, probably its Wiki put it nicely:

Samurai Pizza Cats also known as The English dub of Kyattou Ninden Teyandee (キャッ党 忍伝 てやんでえ, Cat Ninja Legend, What Are You Talking About?!"), licensed by Saban, who didn't manage to get transcripts of the original anime dialog (or just horribly translated scripts, according to the writer). As such, the writers had to make up stories and dialog out of whole cloth. It seems to have worked fairly well, all things considered. The show pretty much got turned into a really well-written Gag Dub and the series is actually better known around the world as "Samurai Pizza Cats" than the original source.

While the plots can be a bit formulaic, most of the show's appeal comes from the humor and the lame puns (some main characters being Speedy Cerviche [Yattarou], Guido Anchovy [Sukashii], Polly Esther [Pururun] and "Big" Al Dente [Wanko-no-Kami]), and an astounding number of running gags. The show is notable for being perhaps the only heavily edited, rewritten and hacked-up anime dub which fans actually prefer to the original. Whereas the original show is merely a cute kids' action cartoon, the English Pizza Cats is chock full of sly references, shameless puns, rapid-fire sardonic humor, and a total refusal to so much as acknowledge the fourth wall.

Despite what you may have heard, it is not a lame Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rip off, but a decent cartoon that can stand on its own merits. (It was, however, licensed as part of a TMNT Follow the Leader movement.) To quote the theme song, 'These 'Cats have more fur than any Turtle ever had!'

Oh, here's alt.tv.pizzacats old FAQ.

ikillchicken wrote:
I'm having a serious nostalgia induced meltdown here.

NJ_ wrote:
First Shout! Factory announces Power Rangers on DVD, then Discotek announces Casshan and now this?

Not to mention recent releases for Beast Wars and Reboot.

Good ol' Mainframe animation. Laughing

StudioToledo wrote:

Quote:
While they're at bringing over old, uncut hackjob dub children's anime, can they please release some uncut Monster Farm or Space-Time Detective Genshi-kun?

Belle & Sebastian
Honey Honey
Maple Town

OK, so while we're at it, how about The Littl' Bits too? Laughing
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

In the case of dubbing those two episodes, it would be a great little marketing ploy if they wanted to say they have "2 NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN-EPISODES" for the dub set. The only complaint I would have is the kind of money or time needed to round up the guys who had been involved with the show 20 years before and whether or not they may like to take a crack at doing it all over again for a second timer.
There'd be no need for them to do that, especially since those two undubbed episodes are just clip-shows anyway.
What they could advertise is the fact that they have 12 episodes of the dubbed version which were previously banned from American TV. Saban only aired 40 episodes out of 52 in the US, while Canada and Europe got to see more. It is often assumed these episodes were dropped for being politically-incorrect or too violent for children's TV at the time.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
I do hope the subtitled version does sell alright, though I predict it probably won't sell as well as the dub, like other people seem to suspect. Still, I plan on picking up the subbed sets, as that has been my primary interest in the series, especially with the lack of fansubs of the show, making it harder to get a hold of it was a result.

That's because almost nobody cared about the show when it was airing (it was cancelled after 1 season even though there were plans for a 2nd) until they saw Samurai Pizza Cats.

I remember seeing most of the episodes but don't recall the ending! (Though I do recall the dub pretending to cover-up the Japanese writings in the show by calling it chicken scratches.) At least France already released the DVDs. Laughing

Anyways, probably its Wiki put it nicely:

Samurai Pizza Cats also known as The English dub of Kyattou Ninden Teyandee (キャッ党 忍伝 てやんでえ, Cat Ninja Legend, What Are You Talking About?!"), licensed by Saban, who didn't manage to get transcripts of the original anime dialog (or just horribly translated scripts, according to the writer). As such, the writers had to make up stories and dialog out of whole cloth. It seems to have worked fairly well, all things considered. The show pretty much got turned into a really well-written Gag Dub and the series is actually better known around the world as "Samurai Pizza Cats" than the original source.

While the plots can be a bit formulaic, most of the show's appeal comes from the humor and the lame puns (some main characters being Speedy Cerviche [Yattarou], Guido Anchovy [Sukashii], Polly Esther [Pururun] and "Big" Al Dente [Wanko-no-Kami]), and an astounding number of running gags. The show is notable for being perhaps the only heavily edited, rewritten and hacked-up anime dub which fans actually prefer to the original. Whereas the original show is merely a cute kids' action cartoon, the English Pizza Cats is chock full of sly references, shameless puns, rapid-fire sardonic humor, and a total refusal to so much as acknowledge the fourth wall.

Despite what you may have heard, it is not a lame Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rip off, but a decent cartoon that can stand on its own merits. (It was, however, licensed as part of a TMNT Follow the Leader movement.) To quote the theme song, 'These 'Cats have more fur than any Turtle ever had!'

Oh, here's alt.tv.pizzacats old FAQ.

ikillchicken wrote:
I'm having a serious nostalgia induced meltdown here.

NJ_ wrote:
First Shout! Factory announces Power Rangers on DVD, then Discotek announces Casshan and now this?

Not to mention recent releases for Beast Wars and Reboot.

Good ol' Mainframe animation. Laughing

StudioToledo wrote:

Quote:

Belle & Sebastian

Honey Honey
Maple Town

OK, so while we're at it, how about The Littl' Bits too? Laughing

Okay, how about Superbook,Flying House,Noozles,Swiss Family Robinson and license rescuing Pioneer/Geneon's Lupin the 3rd?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Man Discotek is on a roll. I wonder if I should request this to our library picking this up to replace the one VHS copy we have. I think the tape we have I (from a donation) was a movie. It was called 'Samurai Pizza Cats the Movie'. Chances are if they're releasing the series then there might not be any need for the movie but good to keep anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7