• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Film's 2nd Teaser Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, a lot of people have already seen and read the story of Kenshin. That's the point and that's why this adaptation is going to rock instead of being crap that wants to be original for the sake of being original. The whole hoping for something new schtick isn't the reason for this film, they are going for faithfulness out of respect for the original material. Maybe when Hollywood get's their grubby little hands on the licenses you'll have your new hotness.

Quote:
If they are able to, it's obvious they have had to redo the style again and again due to action scenes, sweat, mishaps, etc.

Unless a scene calls for it the hair of an actor won't change scene to scene, just like anime hair. Thus, your perception of perfect hair forever is retained.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Yes, a lot of people have already seen and read the story of Kenshin. That's the point and that's why this adaptation is going to rock instead of being crap that wants to be original for the sake of being original. The whole hoping for something new schtick isn't the reason for this film, they are going for faithfulness out of respect for the original material. Maybe when Hollywood get's their grubby little hands on the licenses you'll have your new hotness.

It's all fine and good that you love the original story, but customers who see the same thing over and over again usually like new, unseen scenarios; whether they be mixed into the original story (as would be best in something like this) or a brand new story. I don't see any reason why dedicated fans can't hope for even a few new things.

Quote:
Unless a scene calls for it the hair of an actor won't change scene to scene, just like anime hair. Thus, your perception of perfect hair forever is retained.

I'll have to refer you to my first post on this issue, as you said that hair products could fix this, and now you are saying that they don't fix hair styles scene to scene. Which would lead to my first post on some vaild reason on why the character would change his hair style.

If they don't have the compassion to keep the hairstyle authentic, why try it in the first place?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
What other customers? This film is being made for customers that want to see a live-action version of the same story, not something different to stave off boredom. The people that don't want to see it aren't customers. Fans expect there will be concessions that will lead to some differences between the source and film but that's because of the new format and length not because of just wanting it to be different. Another bonus for retelling the story is how old it is. It's nearly 15 years old so it's not as if fans are going into the film with the anime or manga fresh in their mind.

Quote:
I'll have to refer you to my first post on this issue, as you said that hair products could fix this, and now you are saying that they don't fix hair styles scene to scene.

I said they fix the issue and elaborated that such a fix works fine long enough to last being recorded. I never said the fix was permanent to the point that it never had to be re-applied.

Quote:
Which would lead to my first post on some vaild reason on why the character would change his hair style.

Regardless of the hairstyle there would still need to be touch-ups between takes so why not stick with a hairstyle that resembles the ones found in the source material if they're going to have to be maintained throughout production anyway.

Quote:
If they don't have the compassion to keep the hairstyle authentic, why try it in the first place?

Authentic as to what? Sasuke's hair can easily be interpreted as this or a bunch of other spiky hair styles that can made in reality. Yahiko's hair could just be seen as unkempt and wild rather than just a bunch of triangles. If we were talking about Yu Gi Oh type hair or Gyakuten Saiban I could see your point but the hair styles found in Kenshin are within reason and mostly already exist.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
A lot of movies aren't made for the fans, they are made to make money. To make money, you need both returning fans and new customers. What I've been trying to say is that this movie might bring in more older and newer fans if it had new concepts that have not been seen before. Whether they be new fight scenes (which might bring in more action junkies) a new cast member (which might bring in the complete-ists) etc.

I'm sorry that I mis-understood your last comment about hairstyling. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine that if people want to go for authentic they should go hole heartedly not half-ass is with no explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of movies aren't made for the fans, they are made to make money.

That's good for those movies and those producers that think fans alone aren't enough to make money from. This is not one of those movies.
Quote:

What I've been trying to say is that this movie might bring in more older and newer fans if it had new concepts that have not been seen before. Whether they be new fight scenes (which might bring in more action junkies) a new cast member (which might bring in the complete-ists) etc.

And this movies might do fine as is. The fun thing people who like to count on new audiences like to overlook is how unpredictable and fickle new audiences are. Some producers like to bank on the established fans and let the newbies comes trickle in on their own.
Quote:

I'm sorry that I mis-understood your last comment about hairstyling. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine that if people want to go for authentic they should go hole heartedly not half-ass is with no explanation.

Making a real world hairstyle based on a fictional one doesn't need any explanation for a live-action film, the reasoning is self evident.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2