• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion's 1st Smartphone Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Fabe wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Haven't they watched the series? Evas are NOT androids, damn it!

What does that have to do with anything? The whole concept is these are the phones that NERV personal use not 'what if the EVA units them selves where phones'

It was just a bad joke.

Oh sorry then,hard to tell when someone is joking around here. I've
seen worst statements made by people who where completely serious.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Actually the Microsoft Kin models were built by Sharp, though mostly designed by Microsoft. The boxes clearly said Sharp on them though. Both phones were huge flops. The US smartphone market is tough, with only Apple and Samsung really making any significant profits.

Well, those were big flops because of 2 main things: Hardware and software... which basically make up the whole phone. On the hardware side, they were extremely underpowered for the software they needed to emulate, and the software itself was extremely glitchy when it came out.

So the main question you should be asking is who was the main decision maker when it came to hardware? If it was sharp and the demanded that the phones be underpowered, then yes, it was a horrible sharp phone/decision. But I believe that Microsoft was the main decision maker.

Anyway, as for the phone; this does look pretty kick ass, but I would need to see what hardware and software it has on it. On the hardware side I think that anything less than a dual core omap cpu, 720p screen and/or good F/R facing cameras would be useless for me. On the software side, any skinned version of android; besides a nerv theme - wallpapers, app icons, and maybe exclusive app or two, would also be useless to me. As I already have a plethora of android smartphones that I can have which have low specs and crapware/skins up the ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Actually the Microsoft Kin models were built by Sharp, though mostly designed by Microsoft. The boxes clearly said Sharp on them though. Both phones were huge flops. The US smartphone market is tough, with only Apple and Samsung really making any significant profits.

Well, those were big flops because of 2 main things: Hardware and software... which basically make up the whole phone. On the hardware side, they were extremely underpowered for the software they needed to emulate, and the software itself was extremely glitchy when it came out.

So the main question you should be asking is who was the main decision maker when it came to hardware? If it was sharp and the demanded that the phones be underpowered, then yes, it was a horrible sharp phone/decision. But I believe that Microsoft was the main decision maker.

I'm not disputing any of that, just the claim that Sharp never touched the US market for cell phones.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
*raises laptop's brightness settings to its maximum*

Wait, there's a phone in that black box?

I've got the brightness turned all the way up and I still can't see anything. The joys of having older technology.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
*raises laptop's brightness settings to its maximum*

Wait, there's a phone in that black box?

I've got the brightness turned all the way up and I still can't see anything. The joys of having older technology.

hahahah yeah sometimes these teaser photo's are extremely terrible. if you are very interested in the phone, you could also use paint,a nd contrast the crap out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
You could accomplish the same look with a normal smart phone and a cleverly designed cell-phone cover.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
dammit! where's my eden of the east phone?!?
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hey look, it's NOT a flip phone!
psychopath666

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Haven't they watched the series? Evas are NOT androids, damn it!

What does that have to do with anything? The whole concept is these are the phones that NERV personal use not 'what if the EVA units them selves where phones'

LOL I think samuelp was just making a pun with the words, some of us actually remember the original meaning of the word android, as in a being half machine half human(not an operative system), and since EVAs are mechas, machines controlled by a human pilot (although, EVA aren't really machines i guess o.O since they are living beings being controlled). There for the not being androids. But some people just take it to serious. It was a nice worldplay and not a bad joke at all for those who actually understood it Razz

It gave me a good laught, hats off to you sir
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
"Android" means a humanoid machine(like C-3PO). You're thinking of "cyborg".
psychopath666

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
"Android" means a humanoid machine(like C-3PO). You're thinking of "cyborg".

Yap you're right, my bad. Very Happy Still, since they are not totally all machines, they are hybrids from angels and machines, so samuelp line of thought is still correct, NOT androids, and I still had a nice laught Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I want a Vocaloid phone! I want a Hatsune Miku phone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2