• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Inu X Boku Secret Service Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Lack of love for the incredibly sexy Miketsukami (seriously, he's the reason I watched the first episode, though Ririchiyo ultimately kept me interested more) is disheartening but not surprising given how 90% of anime fandom are straight men.

Guess the whole thing about Otaku not wanting "competition" for female characters was true.

Hey, as a straight man I can appreciate sexy anime guys too. While I will say Soushi is physically attractive and anyone voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura always sounds hot, fox-boy is, at the end of the day, a total creep.

As pointed out, while Soushi does active submissive he is actually extremely manipulative. As Kage said, he's an S pretending to be an M. He outright guilt trips Ririchiyo several times and this gets a lot worse spoiler[when they actually do hook up.] Doesn't help that he's 22 and she's 15, which I normally wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the other stuff.

This messed up power dynamic is kind of interesting, but 'unhealthy' is definitely the right word for it.

Overall I do find the show funny and charming, though, which is why I keep watching. I am more interested in the secondary characters, though, specifically Watanuki/Karuta. Renshou is hilarious too.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Anyone but me noticing the slightly darker, obsessive and disturbing undertones in Miketsukami's character? Those things are what makes his character, and the growing relationship with Ririchio more interesting. Plus the little hints that spoiler[Miketsukami may have been working in the sex trade before he became a bodyguard], make me a little more curious what might be going on under the surface.

I hope the series gets to explore these things a bit more, though I fear that the thirteen episodes we get will basically be an ad for the manga. Sad.

I assume we've had a few fillers now because the anime wants to end at a certain point in the manga, where spoiler[it is revealed that Miketsukami is well...his demon is a kitsune for a reason. He used his charms to advance himself from his typical half-demon situation so he could get higher and higher in the family he was in and by charms, yes I do mean seducing the ladies]
escahime65

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this review 100%. I so want to like this series but it is just so bland and slowwwwww..........Sorry but I can't take any more teasing with no follow through. Bye bye Inu x Boku. Sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Lack of love for the incredibly sexy Miketsukami (seriously, he's the reason I watched the first episode, though Ririchiyo ultimately kept me interested more) is disheartening but not surprising given how 90% of anime fandom are straight men.

Guess the whole thing about Otaku not wanting "competition" for female characters was true.

Um, back in the late 80's, maybe, but now the fandom has a gender representation of about 50-50. Did you miss the "Sexism in Anime" ANNCast? Razz

So, I wanted to like this show. Ririchiyo is smart and sympathetic, Zange is laid back and humorous, the hotel staff is wacky, etc.

But, um, the plot is non-existent. And boy is that lesbian servant annoying (not because she's a lesbian, but because it's apparently "funny" that she hits on underage girls in very inappropriate ways. At least Chizuro from Bleach picks on girls her own age!) And Miketsukami? Creepy stalker-type, total lack of self esteem, both? Neither? He'd be more interesting if they just showed us that skeleton in his closet. Right now he's either personalityless or creepy.

I wonder if the manga is any good, because it seems like such a waste to have such an interesting bunch of characters (Ririchiyo, Zange, Watanuki, etc) and just not give 'em anything to do!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

So, I wanted to like this show. Ririchiyo is smart and sympathetic, Zange is laid back and humorous, the hotel staff is wacky, etc.

But, um, the plot is non-existent. And boy is that lesbian servant annoying (not because she's a lesbian, but because it's apparently "funny" that she hits on underage girls in very inappropriate ways. At least Chizuro from Bleach picks on girls her own age!) And Miketsukami? Creepy stalker-type, total lack of self esteem, both? Neither? He'd be more interesting if they just showed us that skeleton in his closet. Right now he's either personalityless or creepy.

I wonder if the manga is any good, because it seems like such a waste to have such an interesting bunch of characters (Ririchiyo, Zange, Watanuki, etc) and just not give 'em anything to do!

Well, the manga is definitely better in my opinion. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it good, though - at the very least, it does get Miketsukami's skeletons out of the closet much more quickly, in what I at least found to be a genuinely touching way. But then after going with its plot for a little while...It goes right back to floundering in its own cliches.

Yet I know I'm going to keep reading it, because I want to see the plot they keep hinting at...*sighs* I'm too easy to drag in...>_>
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I have a different perspective than the review, and most of the comments here. First the reviewer tried to grab a hold of something substantial in the wrong place. Ririchiyou and Miketsukami are not psychologically strong enough to love other people BECAUSE THEY BOTH HATE THEMSELVES. The place to grab a hold of something substantial is that hatred. That is what this show is about.

I'll certainly admit that the show has moved slowly in the first 6 episodes, especially because they introduced a whole bunch of characters. The story itself, however, was clear to me from the start. Ririchiyou acts tsuntsun, but she hates herself for it. Nevertheless she doesn't know how to be real with other people. I see a lot of people criticizing Miketsukami because he is too servile, or too perfect, but they are just looking at the surface. He clearly has issues as well, we just haven't had the opportunity to dip into his mind, the way we have with Ririchiyo.

spoiler[Somebody mentioned that in an early episode they implied that Miketsukami had been a sex slave. In several episodes he says he doesn't want Ririchiyo to find out about his past.] Miketsukami is ashamed of what he has done, and hates himself. Within seconds of meeting him, he asks to be killed by Ririchiyo, because he says he is worthless unless he can do something for her.

The substance of this story is in the healing that the main couple need before they are able to have a healthy relationship. I think it is a delightful show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2