• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Indicates Possibility of More Code Geass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been reading elsewhere...the "major character development" that was intentionally removed from the quote in the news article, to prevent spoilers for Code Geass R2, is spoiler[Lelouch's death], so that's one more confirmation for those who still believe otherwise.

On the other hand, I'm also betting on some sort of spin-off or side story, or at most a remake or alternative version of the story. It's not like Sunrise can't re-use the world, concepts and characters for something else, not necessarily for an "R3".

Last edited by nightjuan on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It's simple you guys. They either do another time-skip and call it Code Geass Zeta, or Cipher Geass (ala AU-type stuff, or Mai-Otome).

Sunrise has been doing this shit for years, it's nothing new.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been reading elsewhere...the "major character development" that was intentionally removed from the quote in the news article, to prevent spoilers for Code Geass R2, is spoiler[Lelouch's death], so that's one more confirmation for those who still believe otherwise.

Come on, we are talking about Sunrise here. spoiler[Bringing dead characters to life is probably one of the most used cliché.]
CrystalFalls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Actually, Animedia's article quoted Sunrise as saying "spoiler[Lelouch died(?)]" with a deliberate addition of a question mark, so even that's not confirmed.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
CrystalFalls wrote:
nightjuan wrote:

Actually, Animedia's article quoted Sunrise as saying "spoiler[Lelouch died(?)]" with a deliberate addition of a question mark, so even that's not confirmed.

Okay this isn't even up for discussion all articles from the staff have confirmed this plus the NT booklet along with the R2 complete guide has stated spoiler[THAT LELOUCH IS DEAD] there's no denying it plus it would make all the drama and the message in the ending such a waste if they revived him sort to speak. My only guess it being a prequel or even a sequel that takes place in a different setting with completely new characters. That said let's hope it's better than the trainwreck R2 turned out to be. Rolling Eyes
CrystalFalls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
CrystalFalls wrote:
nightjuan wrote:

Okay this isn't even up for discussion all articles from the staff have confirmed this plus the NT booklet along with the R2 complete guide has stated spoiler[THAT LELOUCH IS DEAD] there's no denying it

It's up for discussion because Sunrise itself put a question mark (literally) on the issue. In Sunrise anime, just like in Marvel comics, spoiler[death] isn't always a terminal condition. Wink
cmd598

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
CrystalFalls wrote:
nightjuan wrote:

Okay this isn't even up for discussion all articles from the staff have confirmed this plus the NT booklet along with the R2 complete guide has stated spoiler[THAT LELOUCH IS DEAD] there's no denying it plus it would make all the drama and the message in the ending such a waste if they revived him sort to speak. My only guess it being a prequel or even a sequel that takes place in a different setting with completely new characters. That said let's hope it's better than the trainwreck R2 turned out to be. Rolling Eyes

Apparently you don't understand how third party information works. For example, there's dozens of rather detailed third party sources for UC Gundam, not a one of which is accepted as canon simply because they decided they liked the model kit technical information better instead. They could almost literally spoiler[revive ANY dead character] in Geass that they want thanks to the precedent set by R2, make some hamfisted excuse for it, and get away with it. spoiler[Honestly, Lelouch still being alive would in fact be more believable than the revival of Marianne, which they already did.]

Also, I believe there was a rumor about the Geass novels being contradicted (And thus being non-canon) by R2 as spoiler[they portray Marianne a bit differently than R2.] Any truth to that?

Here's hoping they make R2 the G-Saviour of Geass.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'll just be a series of OVAs, that wouldn't be so bad, and I would love to have a little more about C.C.'s background, they still have plenty of geass realted loose ends to tie up.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Not a big surprise, but now the question becomes how much is Goro Taniguchi's dignity worth?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Not a big surprise, but now the question becomes how much is Goro Taniguchi's dignity worth?

Well he did sign on for a sunrise cash cow Rolling Eyes
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's simple you guys. They either do another time-skip and call it Code Geass Zeta, or Cipher Geass (ala AU-type stuff, or Mai-Otome).

Sunrise has been doing this shit for years, it's nothing new.

Hell at least could have gave us sequel to Mai Hime unless they same old ultra clique mess, it would have gone popular as it would been.

Still have a chance!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
CrystalFalls wrote:

Thanks for the correction, if that is indeed the case. I will check it out to be certain.

However, I do think there is enough confirmation in interviews with the staff and official materials, so for me it is in fact confirmed until Sunrise decides to change it, if they ever do, and even then I would call it a retcon.

And you know...something like a remake or even a Code Geass movie adaptation wouldn't really contradict what happened, or would it?

cmd598 wrote:
They could almost literally revive ANY dead character in Geass that they want thanks to the precedent set by R2, make some hamfisted excuse for it, and get away with it. spoiler[Honestly, Lelouch still being alive would in fact be more believable than the revival of Marianne, which they already did.]

Also, I believe there was a rumor about the Geass novels being contradicted (And thus being non-canon) by R2 as spoiler[they portray Marianne a bit differently than R2.] Any truth to that?

If you're going to talk about "precedents", those didn't begin with R2 or even with Sunrise shows in general. It's far more common in anime or in fiction than what your description implies. Doesn't mean they have to be used every single time, that's only one possibility.

Since you mentioned spoiler[Marianne], the first season of Code Geass had hinted at something being fishy there, since normally spoiler[the "dead" can't maintain telepathic conversations with the living, like she and C.C. did].

Regarding the other thing, the novels aren't really canon, not even the novels for the first season, but that doesn't have anything to do with the specific issues at hand.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
They're pulling a Hollywood!

They'll keep putting out more seasons until it has worn out its welcome. Laughing
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it usually standard practice for a CLAMP show to only have two seasons at the most? Also, I haven't seen the series, but I have read that spoiler[Lelouch gets killed for MASSIVE DAMAGE] so unless they focus on spoiler[the new Zero or whatever, again I'm going by what I read on Wikipedia], there cannot be a continuation.
Oronae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
You all of course realize that whether or not he had the code spoiler[Lelouche would still have 'died'. That's how the code activates, you have to be killed once, like Charles was. So, whether or not Lelouche 'died' is not really up for question. Whether or not he's still alive is.]

Also, though people constantly say that the staff have come out and given an opinion on the matter, I don't think I've ever seen any of them link to a source that resolves the matter non-ambiguously.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7