• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Indicates Possibility of More Code Geass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
they really should let this die. the series was fine the way it ended. heaven help us if spoiler[Lelouch is still alive.] Rolling Eyes

EDIT oops, sorry mods

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the series caught flack for having a rather unlikable protagonist, yes? In much the same way people debate the choice of Light as DN's focus. So with a character who is reviled in some circles, wouldn't it make more sense to spoiler[let him stay dead]?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh so many possibilities this could take, and there will always be some part of the fanbase that will get pissed. For example given the quality and hilarity of the school episodes, they could easily make this into a "fumoffu" type series! Laughing

Or adapt Nightmare of Nunnally. I'm so damn curious about that one.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Isn't it usually standard practice for a CLAMP show to only have two seasons at the most?

AFAIK, CLAMP only provided the character designs. I wouldn't categorize it as a CLAMP show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
If spoiler[Marianne can exist in some quasi-state due to the Code], then there is always the chance that spoiler[Lelouche is in the same state after being killed.

Lelouche doesn't have to come back to the material world]
to be a part of a new series.

Another question is whether spoiler[the gift of the truth to Nunally at Lelouche's death, was a gift from Lelouche or a power of Nunally's].
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news. Code Geass, along with Gurren Lagann, was one of the landmark animes of recent memory. Sunrise has always been my favorite animation studio because of their awesome mecha-themed projects, and Sunrise definitely delivered with R2. Contrary to popular belief, there is still definitely room to expand the story imo.

I envision the new series focusing on a new generation of heroes, a la Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, etc., with Lelouch and/or Suzaku perhaps playing more of a senpai role (a la Char in Zeta).

Realistically though, since production hasn't even started yet on the new series, we probably won't see new Geass anime until Spring of 2010 at the earliest.

All in all, I'm very excited for this project! Sunrise knows what the fans want.

Last edited by jeromeskee on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmd598

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Doesn't mean they have to be used every single time, that's only one possibility.

That's why I said "precedents" Remember when spoiler[Jeremiah was presumed dead...again] and spoiler[Marianne didn't have a geass as a cheap excuse to bring her back and spill a giant heaping load of crap all over the plot] for example? R2 already set the bar pretty low on bringing people back from the dead.

Quote:

Since you mentioned spoiler[Marianne], the first season of Code Geass had hinted at something being fishy there, since normally spoiler[the "dead" can't maintain telepathic conversations with the living, like she and C.C. did].

spoiler[
C.C. already had unknown powers and furthermore was a witch. Talking to dead people is pretty light stuff really, especially light of the fact that the person doing the speaking can't die and granted the main character with the power to tell anyone what to do. For all the hell we knew she, an individual possibly possessing any number of psychoses', was just talking to a voice in her head.]
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Well as long as it doesn't become Code Geass Destiny I'll give it a chance. Heck I wasn't complaining about 12 "wham episodes" in a row at the end of R2.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Three things you guys are possibly ignoring/forgetting:

-Nightmare of Nunnaly

-Suzaku of the Counterattack

-Lost Colors

All CG adaptations that they could pull stuff from (though the last one not as likely since most of the story and set up is the same). They don't need to change R2's ending to do any of that.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
cmd598 wrote:

That's why I said "precedents"

Which doesn't really change my main point. This isn't a court of law, precedents do not establish any obligation to follow them. You do or you don't. None of that implies it would need to happen in this particular case, just like the fact the Gundam franchise had also "set the bar low" not just once but several times in the past didn't prevent the production of series where that didn't happen. It is a possibility, but not one that is inevitable.

Quote:
spoiler[
C.C. already had unknown powers and furthermore was a witch. Talking to dead people is pretty light stuff really, especially light of the fact that the person doing the speaking can't die and granted the main character with the power to tell anyone what to do. For all the hell we knew she, an individual possibly possessing any number of psychoses', was just talking to a voice in her head.]

That's all fine and good, but you have to admit that was all based on assumptions. Nobody knew the truth.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ahhh so many possibilities this could take, and there will always be some part of the fanbase that will get pissed. For example given the quality and hilarity of the school episodes, they could easily make this into a "fumoffu" type series! Laughing

Or adapt Nightmare of Nunnally. I'm so damn curious about that one.

OMG I was thinking that too making the third season a school life comedy like Fumoffu and Kallen can be the main character lolz Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Not a big surprise, but now the question becomes how much is Goro Taniguchi's dignity worth?

The person whose Dignity on the line is Okouchi not Taniguchi.

I have heard one interview from Taniguchi, on the other hand Okouchi has made it clear that the ending is not ambiguous. Theres even a question where the intervewer compliments him on how gutsy the ending was, with Okouchi admitting that he was gutsy.

What the hell is he going to do if he makes it clear that everything he did is a lie? That his not the gutsy writer that he claimed to be? He lied in the guide?
senbei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch vi Britannia is spoiler[confirmed dead. Lelouch Lamperouge on the other hand may very well be alive and preparing for the sequel.] Or we could have prequel about C.C.. More C.C. is never a bad thing Wink
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

What the hell is he going to do if he makes it clear that everything he did is a lie? That his not the gutsy writer that he claimed to be? He lied in the guide?

Or, you know, Sunrise decided to ignore him and rewrite the ending to suit their own plans, if they revisit the same universe and don't just create a parallel story...it would then be a question of whether Okouchi is going to be brought back as a writer or someone else has to carry out those duties.

Still, I'm hoping that they are a little smarter than that and avoid the issue entirely.
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Why R3 (or an OAV) is completely possible after season 2's ending:

spoiler[Lelouch got the Code that Charles wanted for himself. Charles "died", permanently, in the middle of R2 so he obviously didn't retain the Code. (I'm not pretending to know that entire alternate reality segment of R2. It made virtually no sense at all... just Sunrise being Sunrise.)

More evidence that Lulu got the Code is that when Nunally touched him as he was dying she had that rush of memories from Lelouch. CC had the same thing happen when she was touched because she had the Code.

And of course, the title of the series is "Code Geass". The ultimate is to have both, which Lelouch attained.

Lastly, Lulu is driving the hay cart. The end.]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7