• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father! Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I started watching around episode 6 after reading Bamboo's commentary on it over the first few weeks. I initially had no interest in it, but the things she had to say about it made it sound far more like something I would watch. I'm really glad I picked it up, the first episode felt predictable, but the second episode caught me off guard. It's easy to compare to Bunny Drop, but the difficulties present are entirely different. Even when the characters look happy there's this shadow hanging over them, be it trying to make money, succeed in school, or even keep their apartment. It's the feeling of stress, that when they're having fun they should be doing something else, and how they cope with it together that makes the show so interesting.

Also did anyone else notice that the amount of fanservice has really come down now that they've roped in their audience? What started with an excessive number bathing and changing scenes has been toned down to a pantie shot in episode 9 and I don't remember there being anything notable in episode 10. It's an interesting tactic.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Also did anyone else notice that the amount of fanservice has really come down now that they've roped in their audience? What started with an excessive number bathing and changing scenes has been toned down to a pantie shot in episode 9 and I don't remember there being anything notable in episode 10. It's an interesting tactic.

The ED Card for Episode 10 was all the fanservice I would want.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ypeljd.jpg
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Emerje wrote:

The ED Card for Episode 10 was all the fanservice I would want.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ypeljd.jpg

This for me http://i.imgur.com/KHF0S.jpg
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Oh, there's been a very noticeable drop in it over the past few episodes - even considering that already-infamous bonus art shot at the very end of episode 10. I do like my fan service, but I'm definitely pleased with seeing this one tone it down. It's taking the path that Astarotte's Toy refused to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
"Fun under the sun" isn't the series' main mode of delivery, as it has at least as much serious content. It also gets progressively better as it delves into all of the issues surrounding their circumstances.

Coming from my favorite reviewer, perhaps I'll give this one another shot down the road.

I only mustered enough to episode 4, and it didn't seem "serious" was its primary delivery until the end of each episode, as I saw it anyway.

My tolerance for "let's hope it gets better" has had its well dry up, because I find myself ditching a series much more quickly if I don't find myself committed to it.

To date: I've dropped 6 series on CR because the early episodes moved like frozen molasses, and I want to be entertained, not bored to tears (and doesn't require a 3 year old to provide me).
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching this show recently, I think it was episode 6 or 7.

The president/head of the club that he's in, that guy makes my skin crawl. Watching him fawn over the girls makes me physically uncomfortable.

That and the scene where spoiler[the youngest daughter and the landlord are taking a bath together, was just WTF to me, maybe i'm not up on my japanese stranger customs]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, people bathing together is considered perfectly acceptable nt matter what their ages in general. There was no perverted intentions behind scenes like that. Different cultures, different customs.[/quote]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Oh, there's been a very noticeable drop in it over the past few episodes - even considering that already-infamous bonus art shot at the very end of episode 10. I do like my fan service, but I'm definitely pleased with seeing this one tone it down. It's taking the path that Astarotte's Toy refused to do.

yes I agree that this the path I really wished astarotte's toy had taken especially episodes 2-5/6 which actually was actually really good, and a realistic portal of parental love.

Also yes it is common for people to bath together especially little kids and adults. bunny drop (anime) actually had a lot of scenes with them bathing together.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
I didn't think it was perverted, or that a child and adult bathing together was weird, i thought it weird that it was acceptable for a total stranger to invite a small child to take a bath with them.

Just to clarify
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
So far I've enjoyed this show. At the beginning I was a little cautious but I felt that it would get better over time and I was right.

It tries to balance ecchi with something like Usagi Drop. It's a difficult and bumpy line to walk but I feel like it's trying its best.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I didn't think it was perverted, or that a child and adult bathing together was weird, i thought it weird that it was acceptable for a total stranger to invite a small child to take a bath with them.

Just to clarify

As a Japanese person said on Random Curiosity:

Kmainichi at Random Curiosity wrote:
But it is NOT part of the culture to let your child bathe with someone they just met.

The fact that it’s an authority really doesn’t change much- remember there’s anime reality then there’s real life. Families bathing together is very commonplace. Co-workers bathing with each other is commonplace. But a near stranger bathing with an unrelated child? No.

Public bath houses are a different story. There’s usually a lot more people around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2