• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato 2199, 1st Gundam Film BDs to Have English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamiltion97

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
It's newer shows and those without legal issues that are getting subs. Stuff that has next to no chance of being licensed in the US but still has a fanbase that might grab a few hundred copies of movie BD's or TV series BD sets.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
For those wondering, I and my team are doing the bluray subs for Yamato 2199.

I wanted to announce it on the Anncast animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-03-09
but I couldn't get permission.

P.S. The first two episodes are amazing!

Being a die hard Yamato fan i would like to express my thanks for you and your team for giving me the chance to support and watch the new Yamato on BD. I was hoping that the original Yamato BD set and the Fukkatsu-Hen Director's cut movie will get an English sub as well.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

There are a few gundams that stray from it, like Turn A.

But i'm more a fan of seed than the original, simply because i cannot stand those annoying little kids. And people aren't killed for the sole purpose of powering up the main character.

I also think a tip of the cap needs to be given for the OVA series that took the original story line and viewed it from a different angle.

Personally, I've enjoyed those series (0080, 0083) better than a lot of the TV series. That said, the original will always hold a special place in my heart (my first anime).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping that Voyager would pick up the new Yamato series. If I get it straight from Japan, I'm going to have to pay through the nose for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this kinda mess is great for collectors who have the cash to spend, but for everyone else, having it "high or no" just promotes piracy.

I wonder what chance Yamato 2199 has of following suit with its older counterparts and being renamed "Star Blazers 2199" with an official U.S. release. I think we're mature enough as a country to just call it "Space Battleship Yamato 2199" now though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
yu_samson wrote:

Although I speak Japanese and live in Japan, I prefer to have English subtitles when I watch my anime. I haven't bought many movies/anime on disc recently,

Well, with the prices they have in Japan, likely you're far from the only one. Laughing

yu_samson wrote:

Strangely enough, I hope this trend continues (Macross Frontier... please have official English subtitles on blu-ray one day *cry*) so I don't have to do the reverse and continue importing North American anime blu-rays to Japan so I can enjoy them...lol

Better take advantage of that strong yen while ya can! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2