• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's Kindle Publishing Suspended

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domokun1134

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
You know what's funny, last year when I was thinking of buying a Kindle, I was playing with one in Staples. I wanted to see how it worked for Manga viewing, so I went looking for manga in the Kindle store right from the device. It seemed all I could find was BL manga (no problem for me), so I downloaded the first chapter of one free. Here I was, looking at hardcore yaoi, in the middle of Staples. Smile Funny how things change.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
overlordrae wrote:
I won't say Amazon are homophobes, but they don't really have a good track record with LGBT works, like when they listed ALL LGBT books as adult and de-ranked them, then blamed it on a 'glitch' after all the bad PR.
As I recall, they were simply labeling books a given number of people complained about. Of course, at this juncture they've lost the stupidity excuse.
Quote:
I don't like companies like this censoring content. Sure, it's within their rights as a private company, but I'm still against it as a customer. Which is why I'm certainly not going to get a Kindle when I end up getting an e-reader.
My thoughts exactly. I don't really give a damn about this stuff, but the censorship raises my hackles. And the Nook's technically superior anywho.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
... My thoughts exactly. I don't really give a damn about this stuff, but the censorship raises my hackles. And the Nook's technically superior anywho.

At Christmas, it was the Kindle content and $50 cheaper versus the Nook RAM & Flash and $50 more ... and the Kindle Fire obviously won. But now that the Nook Tablet 8GB is the same price, if Amazon is playing games with the availability of their content, and their "tap panel to zoom" is a lot less available than the pinch to zoom which works for all Nook Comics ...
... B&N seems a bit ahead for manga. If they had access to a store with Crunchyroll, Crackle and upcoming Funimation apps, they'd be farther ahead.

Me, the new Nook Tablet brought a refurbished Nook Color into my price range at $150 (~$160 after sales tax) ~ and at that price I didn't mind rooting the device. Now that its $135, and I can get it to play Crunchyroll and Crackle and it reads Nook Comics just fine, I think I'd stick with the lower powered gear.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Just one more reason why I will never buy an e-reader.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2