• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Oh! Edo Rocket Alternate-History Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
This is a great series that feels like it's been slept on during it's original release.

It's genuinely funny, rollicking adventure and if you want to look deeper, an intelligent examination of the role of arts and craft in the life of the common man.

Plus it has some incredibly mean (and funny) jokes at Mamoru Oshii and Production IG's expense! And plenty of gratuitous Gurren Lagann references late in the series.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
I am really glad this series has been licensed, though I may wait to see if Manga Entertainment gets the rights in the UK as Funi has been using too few discs for the picture quality to stay high of late, still I'm glad of the license, I've seen a few episodes and they were excellent, striking art and interesting characters, plus the focus on arts and crafts is really well thought out (the animation and designs are really good).
mastertr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
For some reason I think that by the end of 09 only Funi, Bandai and maybe ADV will be around. I mean when was the last time you heard from CP or MB?
Geneon had all sorts of reasons to fail. They ran it like the japanese market. Things such as the $150 box sets that would work in japan just doesn't here. Japanese and american fans have always had very different buying habits and I don't really know if geneon ever fully realized it and treated it the same as their japanese division. Not to mention licensing everything and barely even letting people know about it.

did you forget about Viz?

And how about TRSI's Nozomi release line? Last time I heard, they were in good shape as well...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
v1cious wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
For some reason I think that by the end of 09 only Funi, Bandai and maybe ADV will be around. I mean when was the last time you heard from CP or MB?
Geneon had all sorts of reasons to fail. They ran it like the japanese market. Things such as the $150 box sets that would work in japan just doesn't here. Japanese and american fans have always had very different buying habits and I don't really know if geneon ever fully realized it and treated it the same as their japanese division. Not to mention licensing everything and barely even letting people know about it.

did you forget about Viz?

And how about TRSI's Nozomi release line? Last time I heard, they were in good shape as well...

I think there are a couple of small lines like Nozomi that are also doing well, I think Animeigo is doing okay (although it looks like they never released much).
YamiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Merry Boxing Day to us all, it seems.

I honestly thought nobody would ever license, since it's a few years old now. But it's been one of my favorite series since I watched it fansubbed. Now I'll get to buy the DVDs and share it with all my friends.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
This might be interesting, but the whole mystery girl plot has been done so many times, I don't know.

Since I have never seen the show, how is it? Compared to the other shows, with the exception of Vandread, I might watch this show.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
This is a great series that feels like it's been slept on during it's original release.

It's genuinely funny, rollicking adventure and if you want to look deeper, an intelligent examination of the role of arts and craft in the life of the common man.

Plus it has some incredibly mean (and funny) jokes at Mamoru Oshii and Production IG's expense! And plenty of gratuitous Gurren Lagann references late in the series.

Oh thank goodness, somebody's finally actually talking about "Oh! Edo Rocket!" instead of "Gintama"...

This series undoubtedly slipped under a lot of people's radar, but I really enjoyed it, just about fell out of my sleep laughing at times. It's a great series, especially for people familiar with Japanese history and culture, both from the premodern and modern era. It drags at a few points, but overall it's a manic, anachronistic, and very good series.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
This might be interesting, but the whole mystery girl plot has been done so many times, I don't know.

Believe me, you've probably not ever seen it done quite like this... like much of the series, that element makes fun of other series. Also, to the viewers she's not a mystery at all. We know right away what she is: spoiler[a flying alien who looks like Mew2!]
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
Merry Boxing Day to us all, it seems.

I honestly thought nobody would ever license, since it's a few years old now. But it's been one of my favorite series since I watched it fansubbed. Now I'll get to buy the DVDs and share it with all my friends.

??? it's only a year old, it aired the same week as Gurren Lagann.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Oh thank goodness, somebody's finally actually talking about "Oh! Edo Rocket!" instead of "Gintama"...

I think that says something about the number of people who've actually seen these two shows.

I never expected to see Oh! Edo Rocket licensed in the US. It seemed much "too Japanese" to be a success in foreign markets, and it doesn't have any obvious characteristics that would make it appeal to mainstream anime viewers in R1. I thought perhaps it was part of a package deal with Madhouse where Funi obtained the license to Rocket as a requirement of licensing something else expected to sell better. So far I don't see any other Madhouse works in the "new show a go-go" list, though that doesn't mean the other works won't show up in Funi's list down the road.

I looked around unsuccessfully to see if I could find any DVD sales data for this show in Japan. I can say it ranks as about the 80th least downloaded series on a popular anime tracker.

Funi's just-released boxset of eleven Saiunkoku Monogatari episodes runs $35 at RightStuf, or about $3/episode. If that's the price we'll be seeing for Rocket episodes, I'll probably buy the whole set.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was thinking it would get picked up along with GL but I guess with all the buzz about GL and the fact that Gainax has a pretty good reputation over here despite their not always so great endings it just got forgotten until it picked up in fansubs.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Rite of passage is right, especially for me, princess. Eva was, when I was in junior high, my first exposure to more modern anime (as in, I never knew that Macross and Voltron were anime when I was a kid, so my knowledge of the genre was mimimal at best). It's what got me interested in Japanese cartoons to begin with, so I have to give the show a lot of credit. And I don't care if Rebuild is a repackaging of the series, the extras will probably force me to shell out the extra dough.

But this show at least seems kinda cute in terms of premise. At least it's not as stupid as some alternate history shows, and it seems decidedly comical (unlike some historical shows that can't decide if they wanna be serious or silly -- such as Kenshin).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Who besides me has actually seen this movie? Yes, it's sort of a re-do of the series, but they gloss over a lot of things and completely change others. The second movie is looking to be getting even further from the show.

Besides that, the animation is gorgeous and the fight scenes were vastly updated. This isn't anything like the MSG Movie Trilogy, where were just fixed up recaps. Depending on how the other three movies turn out, I might prefer them to the show.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
What's going happen if FUNimation going to pick up Girls Bravo after Geneon's license expired?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
pakli1988 wrote:
What's going happen if FUNimation going to pick up Girls Bravo after Geneon's license expired?

No ones to say they will. There's no way to buy every single license and be profitable on it, because then you flood the market even further.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm am a bit saddened that it is not Gintama since if word play is not counted the hint could have been for Gintama. As it mentions three monkeys, which could describe Gintoki, Kagura, and Shinpachi's personalities. Has Edo (from the name Ed in the clue), which is where Gintama takes place. And Gintama is in a futuristic world with rockets... Yeah, but with the word play it can be easily found out to be Oh! Edo Rocket, so my hopes weren't high.

But Oh! Edo Rocket looks interesting, if the show is done in sets I probably will blind-buy it.

v1cious wrote:

Gintama's by Bandai, so that's not happening.

InuYasha and GaoGaiGar are also made by Bandai's subsidary known as Sunrise, but oddly, the R1 DVDs on my shelf don't have Bandai Entertainment or Bandai Visual's logo anywhere Rolling Eyes

And to the person who keeps comparing Gintama and Bleach's ratings has to remember, the two shows air on the same network, they are not competing agaisnt each other. And Bleach was Gintama's lead-in on TV Tokyo. So it's not like Gintama is going to get canned just because Bleach is doing better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5