• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Oh! Edo Rocket Alternate-History Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand:
Quote:
No it is not simply because the newer series have spend all of their time trying to be eva and some showing it more then others (E7)

I thought E7 was a Laputa-wannabe...

Quote:
Eva is something of a rite of passage for an anime fan anyway.

Maybe for your generation, but I imagine Naruto and Death Note is what the current generation watches.

wal:
Quote:
Yes, it's sort of a re-do of the series, but they gloss over a lot of things and completely change others. The second movie is looking to be getting even further from the show.

But not really in a significant way which differs from the main idea, right?
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
:sigh:Yet another license I don't care about. When I heard about this '10 days of licensing' I was excited...but seeing everything so far, I am vastly disappointed. Even the thought of Eva being one of them can't save me from the giant disappointment I feel with what's been announced thus far.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
zanarkand:
Quote:
No it is not simply because the newer series have spend all of their time trying to be eva and some showing it more then others (E7)

Quote:

Maybe for your generation, but I imagine Naruto and Death Note is what the current generation watches.

wal:
Quote:
Yes, it's sort of a re-do of the series, but they gloss over a lot of things and completely change others. The second movie is looking to be getting even further from the show.

Well even if it was a re do of the series it was a very well done re do.

I'm going to be 16 in a few months so I think that puts me with the sailor moon watchers not the naruto ones right? Regardless my dad has been a fan since before I was born so I kind of grew up on Mecha and magical girl from an early age so maybe I'm in a different position.

About E7 You can look at everything from the set up of the last season to the character designs to see how it's an eva look alike. Even the personalities. Even though I'm sure most people have a higher opinion of Renton then Shinji.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
GATSU wrote:
zanarkand:
Quote:

Quote:

wal:
Quote:

Well even if it was a re do of the series it was a very well done re do.

I'm going to be 16 in a few months so I think that puts me with the sailor moon watchers not the naruto ones right? Regardless my dad has been a fan since before I was born so I kind of grew up on Mecha and magical girl from an early age so maybe I'm in a different position.

About E7 You can look at everything from the set up of the last season to the character designs to see how it's an eva look alike. Even the personalities. Even though I'm sure most people have a higher opinion of Renton then Shinji.

Being 15 places you exactly at the Naruto-fandom age, because you weren't 11 or 12 when Gundam Wing was on.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
:sigh:Yet another license I don't care about. When I heard about this '10 days of licensing' I was excited...but seeing everything so far, I am vastly disappointed. Even the thought of Eva being one of them can't save me from the giant disappointment I feel with what's been announced thus far.

Don't give up hope just yet, there is still four more days until 2009. Funimation may actually pull a fast one and license some shows you might actually like.

I myself am still hoping for one of my favorite shows.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm sure most people have a higher opinion of Renton then Shinji.

Umm.. not everyone. They are virtual twins by the end. Ditto Eureka and Rei. And the plot... spoiler[14 yr old boy is the only one who can pilot the most powerful mecha, with a blue-haired girl who his father "raised", which mecha turns out is alive, which astonishes everyone by moving on its own for the first time, which is then used to save the world, which involves Shinji and Rei... I mean Renton and Eureka... entering a new plane of existence together. ]

But on topic... OER is a good choice. High quality animation and should appeal to a broad demographic. Not offensive, funny and maintains your interest. Certainly there are more popular shows. I agree with many of the previous suggestions as well. As to new vs. rescue, though, it makes business sense. The cheap rescues are virtually guaranteed to turn a profit. The few new then don't represent a big risk to the business. Geneon and ADV suffered from being too optimistic about the market and not having enough cash cows to cover their mistakes. You can only re-release NGE so many times... though god knows they tried.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be 16 in a few months so I think that puts me with the sailor moon watchers not the naruto ones right?

Not quite. You're closer to the Naruto/Inuyasha generation than the Eva/Sailor Moon generation, my friend Anime hyper! I was in elementary school when the Sailor Moon craze hit, and got introduced to anime through GW, Escaflowne, DBZ, and Kenshin (as did most of my friends). Since you've been watching since you were real little then you probably have a different perspective.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

Don't give up hope just yet, there is still four more days until 2009. Funimation may actually pull a fast one and license some shows you might actually like.

You, Teriyaki Terrier, single handedly don't seem to grasp the idea that we already knew what the licenses were going to be before they were announced, because FUNimation themselves put out clues for 8 of the 10. We know the rest of the licenses, they'll be Soul Eater, Gankutsuou, Eva Rebuild 1.0, and one unknown thing. Do you just choose to ignore that we already had the clues in hand?

So your only hope for "a fast one" lies in one single license.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote

If the personalities were a "look-alike," tell me why I wound up loathing just about everyone in Eva yet loving just about everyone in E7. Razz

(Also, the only sort of "gateway" that Eva was for me was into watching all of my friends who were also watching it for the first time wind up hating it...and then eventually realizing that they were right. Smile)
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
I'm going to be 16 in a few months so I think that puts me with the sailor moon watchers not the naruto ones right?

Not quite. You're closer to the Naruto/Inuyasha generation than the Eva/Sailor Moon generation, my friend Anime hyper! I was in elementary school when the Sailor Moon craze hit, and got introduced to anime through GW, Escaflowne, DBZ, and Kenshin (as did most of my friends). Since you've been watching since you were real little then you probably have a different perspective.

So I thought. I started watching during that time so I could never really understand the fascination with Naruto/Inuyasha. I mean they are fun and all but I had seen it before so when people starting saying how great naruto was I was kinda like "And how is this new?" It's the reason my friends could watch through the fillers and I couldn't . I feel kind of old though always being out of touch with my friends in terms of anime watching. They find random new harem series and say how great it is and how original and I can only laugh and direct them back to Lum and the Tenchi universe Rolling Eyes

Anyway they didn't announce the voice cast for Oh! Edo Rocket yet right?
Quote:
If the personalities were a "look-alike," tell me why I wound up loathing just about everyone in Eva yet loving just about everyone in E7.

Because anno didn't care if you liked them or not. Even if you didn't like them most people find a character that they can relate to or sympathize with. The characters in E7 were supposed to be likable and you were supposed to want Renton and Eureka to be together forever at the end and you were supposed to hate Anemone at first and then feel bad for her and you were supposed to think Holland was the coolest guy ever in the beginning. In Evangelion they just put them all out there think what you will of everyone that's the way they are and they have good reasons for it too. E7(As much as I liked it) was much more conscious in manipulating the viewers feelings while in Eva people usually just sided with someone in a really screwed up situation for everyone.

Lots of people think Eva is a big pretentious mess and while I agree they aren't the most likable bunch their flaws were real and didn't suddenly appear or disappear as a plot device so instead of hating them all I appreciated how they weren't completely superficial. (I still want to hit Shinji with a brick though.)
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the topic derailment earlier. It deterred from the fact that I am looking forward to purchasing Oh! Edo Rocket when Funi puts it out. I loved the OST, and the show itself is just as hilarious as Gintama if not more so. I hope that it gets a good staff on it, and that for the most part the jokes transfer. This is probably the only announcement so far that I am excited for! Thanks a lot funi!

I'm hoping for some more great announcements.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

You, Teriyaki Terrier, single handedly don't seem to grasp the idea that we already knew what the licenses were going to be before they were announced, because FUNimation themselves put out clues for 8 of the 10. We know the rest of the licenses, they'll be Soul Eater, Gankutsuou, Eva Rebuild 1.0, and one unknown thing. Do you just choose to ignore that we already had the clues in hand?

So your only hope for "a fast one" lies in one single license.

Well, I have to hold out hope for that one last unknown one. Here's hoping to Denno Coil! Though it'll probably be something like Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai...first season rocked...second sucked...a lot. I probably would've been excited for Gankutsuou had I not already bought it a while back.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
This is a great series that feels like it's been slept on during it's original release.

It's genuinely funny, rollicking adventure and if you want to look deeper, an intelligent examination of the role of arts and craft in the life of the common man.

Plus it has some incredibly mean (and funny) jokes at Mamoru Oshii and Production IG's expense! And plenty of gratuitous Gurren Lagann references late in the series.

Yes, yes, and YES. This series was horribly ignored, and I'm absolutely overjoyed to see it get at least a little attention! I never thought that I would see DVDs for this on this side of the Pacific!

I completely recommend this series to all fans of anime. It has a great story, great soundtrack, incredibly diverse characters, a stellar seiyuu cast, and a fantastic sense of humor. It's really a blast to find all the anime references in it.

(I have to admit, I'm a little bummed that the majority of these posts are on Eva and Gintama and not OER!!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5