Someone Made a Dominator from Psycho-Pass Entirely from Discount Store Materials
posted on by Eric Stimson
Cosplay and modeling are often seen as dauntingly expensive pursuits, and for the more elaborate costumes and props, they often are. But a cosplay enthusiast from Kansai, Japan, with the Twitter name @biscotti716 shows that with some ingenuity and shrewd shopping, they don't have to devour your allowance.
Characters: "Old" and "New"
This is a model Dominator gun from Psycho-Pass, and it's made entirely out of materials found at Daiso, a widespread Japanese discount chain (with stores in the Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles areas). @biscotti716 breaks down the shopping list and the price for each item.
- Color board, 5x2 mm..... 300 yen ($2.49)
- Koyo Soft board, 5 mm..... 500 yen ($4.15)
- Koyo Soft board, 2 mm..... 300 yen
- Styrofoam glue..... 200 yen ($1.66)
- Glue gun and stick..... 200 yen
- Retractable razor blade..... 500 to 1,200 yen ($9.95)
- Gesso (a type of paint)..... 1,500 yen ($12.44)
- Brush..... 100 yen (83¢)
- Aqueous Hobby Color (a paint set), black and mahogany..... 200 yen
- Black spray paint..... 800 yen ($6.64)
- Acryllic paint, blue and white..... 200 yen
- Sponge..... 100 yen
- Clamp..... 300 yen
- Toothpicks..... 100 yen
- Punch..... 300 yen
Optional items that improve the gun's appearance:
- Glowstick..... 100 yen
- Glowing shoestring..... 600 yen ($4.98)
- Reflective aluminum sheeting..... 100 yen
- Clear file..... 100 yen
- Handy router..... 2,000 yen ($16.59)
The final tally comes to 8,500 yen to 9,200 yen (or $71 to $76). Omitting the handy router, the most expensive item, brings the price down to 6,500 yen (or $54). If you don't care about making the gun light up, the cost drops even further to 5,600 yen (or $46).
Intrigued hobbyists can explore other impressive crafts made on the cheap using the hashtag #100円ショップの材料で作ってみた ("Made with 100-Yen Shop Materials").
[Via Global Otaku News]