Male Manga Readers Weigh in On Their Favorite Shōjo Series
posted on by Lynzee Loveridge
Popular boys-manga magazines like Shonen Jump have a much wider readership than their target demographic. Sports manga garners plenty of female readers with series like Haikyu!!, Yowamushi Pedal, and Kuroko's Basketball being recent examples. It should come as no surprise then that this phenomena also works in reverse.
Male readers opened up about which shōjo series are their favorites. The top choice was the musical romantic comedy Nodame Cantabile by Tomoko Ninomiya. Fans said they enjoyed the story, the unique musical setting, and its humor.
Choices varied widely from older manga to more recent. Voters cited humor, an interesting setting, beautiful art, or romance that was especially heartfelt as reasons they enjoyed shōjo manga. Coincidentally, all the chosen series have multimedia adaptations from television anime to live-action films.
Other favorites include:
- Nodame Cantabile by Tomoko Ninomiya
- Please Save My Earth by Saki Hiwatari
- Boys Over Flowers by Yoko Kamio
- Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya
- Kimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
- Kare Kano by Masami Tsuda
- Honey and Clover by Chika Umino
- Haikara-san ga Tooru by Waki Yamato
- Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun by Izumi Tsubaki
Do you enjoy reading series across genres, regardless whether it's "for" you? What are some of your favorites? Let us know in our own poll!
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history