Japanese Fans Choose Anime's Biggest Tearjerkers
posted on 2016-11-21 13:45 EST by Eric Stimson
Some anime fans are emotionally vulnerable and sob whenever their favorite character dies or even when the story takes an unwelcome turn. Even those with a more hardened heart have definitely had moments when they find their eyes watering or themselves getting choked up over a poignant scene. Accordingly, the Japanese fan poll site Goo Ranking surveyed its readers on the anime that "straight up made you cry." It queried 500 readers between October 12 and 17; there were an equal number of men and women, and the age range was 20s and 30s. Multiple votes were allowed.
WARNING: While not specified, the story twists that are tear-jerking may count as spoilers.
The results are:
1. DORAEMON (78 votes)
2. ANOHANA: THE FLOWER WE SAW THAT DAY (67 votes)
3. DOG OF FLANDERS (66 votes)
4. Kimi ni Todoke - From Me to You (40 votes)
5. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (32 votes)
6. Hana-Saku Iroha (29 votes)
7. Natsume's Book of Friends (27 votes)
8. Your Lie in April (26 votes)
8. Slam Dunk (26 votes)
10. Code Geass (23 votes)
10. Hikaru no Go (23 votes)
12. Haikyu!! (21 votes)
13. your name. (17 votes)
14. One Week Friends (14 votes)
14. Bokura ga Ita (14 votes)
16. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (13 votes)
16. 5 Centimeters Per Second (13 votes)
18. Looking Up At The Half-Moon (12 votes)
18. Fruits Basket (12 votes)
18. Plastic Memories (12 votes)
18. Toradora! (12 votes)
Although Doraemon is not generally considered a "sad" series, Goo Ranking suggests that the anime's more poignant scenes, especially in the films when Nobita must part with newfound friends, have a great impact. The 2014 film Stand By Me Doraemon, in particular, tugged at the heartstrings of filmgoers so much so that it coined the term Doranaki, "Dora-crying."
A similar poll was conducted in 2015 by the site My Navi Student. The ANN editorial team also chose their own tear-jerking moments. Lynzee Loveridge provided her own selection of sad anime scenes for The List.