Grave of the Fireflies Tops Poll of Anime's Most Miserable Endings
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
The Goo Ranking website asked readers which anime has the most "miserable bad ending" for its characters. The site conducted the poll from November 14 to November 16 and published the results on Friday.
The #1 anime on the list comes as no surprise to most classic anime fans. Grave of the Fireflies follows 14-year-old Seita and his four-year-old sister Setsuko in the final days of World War II in Kobe. The pair face fire bombings, cruel relatives, and starvation. The Studio Ghibli film decries blind patriotism with depictions of those who suffered most during Japan's ultimate defeat in war.
A total of 500 people participated in the poll, which took half its participants each from men and women in their 20s and 30s. The poll accepted multiple answers from respondents, and it ranks all types of Japanese anime together.
Here are the top 21 results:
1. Grave of the Fireflies (100 votes)
2. Densetsu Kyojin Ideon (94 votes)
3. The Rose of Versailles (65 votes)
4. Phoenix (55 votes)
5. Farewell Space Battleship Yamato (50 votes)
6. Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 series; 41 votes)
7. Dog of Flanders (39 votes)
8. Space Warrior Baldios (33 votes)
8. School Days (33 votes)
10. Death Note (31 votes)
11. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (28 votes)
12. Shinseikiden Mars (25 votes)
13. Cowboy Bebop (24 votes)
13. Hell Girl (24 votes)
15. She, The Ultimate Weapon (23 votes)
16. The Wings of Rean (19 votes)
16. Aquarion (19 votes)
16. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (19 votes)
19. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: Jūryoku Sensen (18 votes)
19. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (18 votes)
19. Fate/Zero (18 votes)
The poll's full results with 48 anime titles are available on the Goo Ranking website.