Shonen Jump Exhibition Fast-Forwards to the '90s
posted on by Lynzee Loveridge
The second part of the 50th anniversary exhibition for Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine will debut at Roppongi Hills complex's Tokyo Mori Arts Center Gallery on March 19 and celebrate the magazine's landmark circulation numbers in the 1990s. The exhibit, titled "Sōkan 50 Shūnen Kinen Shūkan Shōnen Jump-ten Vol. 2 1990 Nendai, Hakkō Busū 653-Man-bu no Shōgeki" (50th Anniversary of Weekly Shonen Jump's First Issue Exhibition Vol. 2: 1990s, Impact of 6.53 Million Copies in Print), will feature popular titles like Yū Yū Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z, Slam Dunk, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I''s.
The exhibition will last until June 17. Visitors will receive a sticker featuring a cover of one of a Shonen Jump magazine from the 90s.
The full list of exhibited works include:
- Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo
- WILD HALF
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- The Abnormal Super Hero Hentai Kamen
- Slam Dunk
- Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san
- Hareluya II Boy
- Magical Taruruuto-kun
- Hanasaka Tenshi Ten-Ten-kun
- Meiryōtei Gotō Seijūrō
- MIND ASSASSIN
- Video Girl Ai
- Tottemo! Luckyman
- Pennant Race: Yamada Daichi no Kiseki
- Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken
- Rising Impact
- Yū Yū Hakusho
- Bonbonzaka Kōō Engekibu
- Captain Tsubasa: World Youth Chapter
- Midori no Makibao
- Level E
- Shin Jungle no Ouja Tāchan
- Mizu no Tomodachi Kappa-man
- Dragon Ball
- Naniwa Kokichi Ōsama Haroba ~Hattari Teikoku no Gyakushū~
- Jinnairyū Jyūjyutsu Butouden Majimakun Suttobasu!!
- Chō Kidō Bōhatsu Soccer Yarō Libero no Takeda
- Hoshin Engi
- Outer Zone
- Rokudenashi Blues
- Hana no Keiji: Kumo no Kanata ni
- Jigoku Sensei Nube
- Rurouni Kenshin
A theater in the exhibit will screen exclusive videos.
Rurouni Kenshin creator Nobuhiro Watsuki was charged with child pornography possession last week, of which he admitted guilt. Shueisha commented that it is taking this news seriously, and that Watsuki expresses deep regret. The publisher added that it has not decided what to do with Watsuki's manga volumes already in print, because the matter is still under discussion. At this time it appears they are not omitting his work from the exhibition.
The "Vol. 1" exhibition opened on July 18. The "Sōkan 50 Shūnen Kinen Shūkan Shōnen Jump-ten Vol. 3: 2000 Nendai, Shinka Suru Saikyō Zasshi no Ima" (50th Anniversary of Weekly Shonen Jump's First Issue Exhibition Vol. 3: Present of the Evolving Strongest Magazine) from July to September 2018.