Your Fav CG Anime & Games Are Vying for CG World's Top Awards
posted on by Lynzee Loveridge
The computer graphics magazine CG World announced its nominees for the third annual "CG World Awards". The awards seek to focus on highlighting 3DCG animation created in Japan. Nominees are chosen by the magazine's editorial department. Last year, the staff recognized the third part of the Go! Princess Pretty Cure the Movie Go! Go!! Gorgeous Triple Feature!!! film.
This year there are five categories. The top "Grand Prix" category is awarded to the studio or creator of a remarkable, successful work. The nominees are:
- Yaoyorozu for Kemono Friends. The staff noted that the work helped clear up prejudice and misconceptions about cell-shaded CG animation.
- Orange for Land of the Lustrous for its well-executed action sequences, facial expressions, and rich character representation.
- Visualman Tokyo for the live-action Tokyo Ghoul film for the realistic special effects used to create the ghouls.
- Oxybot for the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist film. The magazine credits the studio for its breakthrough effects to create Alphonse.
- O.L.M. Digital for the live-action JoJo's Bizarre Adventure film and Snack World. The studio has consistently created large-scale visual effects and CG projects recently.
The other categories include:
Special Effects in a Live-Action Work
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- GRAVITY CAT promotional video
- Eiga Yo-kai Watch: Sora Tobu Kujira to Double Sekai no Daibōken da Nyan!
- KADO - The Right Answer by Toei Animation
- Kemono Friends by Yaoyorozu
- BLAME! by Polygon Pictures
- Land of the Lustrous by Orange
- Sylvania Family Mini-Story by Shogakkan Music & Digital Entertainment
- Eiga Precure Dream Stars! by Toei Animation
- Snack World by O.L.M. Digital
- Nyabo! by Shirogumi
- Kuma no Gakkō Patissier Jackie to Ohisama no Sweets by Sunrise D.I.D. Studio
- The Last Guardian by SIE Japan Studio
- NieR:Automata by Platinum Games
- Pokémon Sun and Moon by GameFreak & Pokémon International
- Gravity Rush 2 by SIE Japan Studio
- Sonic Forces by Sonic Team & Sega
- Capcom's RE ENGINE
- Unity Technologies Japan's Unity engine
- Scene Assembly technique introduced by Photon Arts' Takuya Suzuki
- SideFX's Houdini
- Redshift Rendering Technologies' "Redshift Render"
Which of your favorites are you rooting for? Kemono Friends has certainly a force to be reckoned with, showing up in both mainstream and anime-centric buzzwords and kanji selections to represent 2017. Can anything beat out TATSUKI's masterpiece?
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history