News Sketchtravel Charity Book Published in Japan, U.S.
posted on 2012-08-18 01:47 EDT
Sketchtravel, an extensive charity book with contributions from 71 artists, was published on Wednesday by Asukashinsha in Japan and by Chronicles Books in the United States. Japanese animator Daisuke “Dice” Tsutsumi and French illustrator Gerald Guerlais initiated the project to benefit the international literacy non-profit organization Room to Read.
Each artist drew a piece of artwork in the book and passed it on to the next artist over a four-and-a-half year period beginning in September 2006. The 120-page sketchbook traveled through 12 countries including Japan in that time. Japanese animators and manga artists who contributed to the book include:
- Atsuko Fukushima (Kiki's Delivery Service, Akira, Magnetic Rose)
- Taiyo Matsumoto (Tekkonkinkreet, Ping Pong, No. 5)
- Koji Morimoto (Fist of the North Star, Comedy, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?)
- Hayao Miyazaki (My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away)
- Katsuya Terada (Blood the Last Vampire, Monkey King, Silk Road Kids)
- Daisuke Tsutsumi (Toy Story 3, Ice Age)
(The Comic Natalie website posted a sample gallery of the artwork.)
Chronicles Books published the book in Europe last October, and the original copy of the book was auctioned that month for 70,000 Euros (about US$96,200).
As it happens, Tsutsumi is married to Miyazaki's niece, who was a childhood friend of Tsutsumi.
Source: Comic Natalie
Available Now: Attack on Titan: No Regrets Deluxe Edition - Shiver - Splatoon - Astra Lost in Space - Neo Parasyte M - In This Corner of the World - Polar Bear in Love - ACCA - Spirit Circle - Forbidden Scrollery - Card Captor Sakura: Clear Card - and much more! ― Welcome to Anime News Network's Fa...